Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2017, 06:44 PM
Her Her started this thread

298 posts, read 868,473 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I work in the music business and have a job opportunity in Nashville. Nashville is a place I've always thought about in the back of my mind, but now I'm seriously considering making the jump.

I've been all over - the southwest, pacific northwest (which is my favorite place so far), and now the northeast. NYC does have a lot going for it, but it's so expensive, and I have to live so far from the city, that I don't get to enjoy all that it has to offer.

I wonder if Nashville could maybe be the best of both worlds. What I loved about the northwest was that I had big city amenities, but felt like I was living in a small town. I've really started thinking about what I need most in a place to live and came up with this:

Lakes (if I can't turn into a prune come summer time, I'm miserable), places to run, biking paths, hiking. That's it. I'm outdoorsy and I severely miss it. If I can live ~40 mins from work, live near a place that serves coffee and is near a yoga place, I'm sold. My budget would be $1500 for a one bedroom. Doable?

The only thing that worries me, is what I'm hoping is just a huge misconception. As an early 30s, single, non-church goer, am I going to be in the minority? It's a silly thing to worry about people are piling their opinions and I wonder if there is truth to it?

Thanks for all your help! If anyone else has made a similar leap, I'd love to hear about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 05:48 AM

569 posts, read 1,424,672 times
Based on your "likes" I think it could work. We have some nice parks and hiking trails. Percy Warner, Radnor, Beaman park. On off peak times you can be in nature within 30 mins of downtown.

I thought of Bellevue as a place to check out for housing because of the proximity to Percy Warner park. But I wouldn't limit my search to just there. The closer to downtown that you are, the easier the commute, generally. I wouldn't go out too far to small towns or anything, that might be a harder adjustment.

Many people don't go to church here. I used to work in an industry where an occasional coworker might invite me to church....but not anymore. Unless you are going to be working for a Christian record label, I doubt it would happen. And in the 23 years I've lived here....the worst that's happened is a coworker invited me to church. It depends on how defensive you are about it.

This isn't the Pacific Northwest so if you have never been here I would at least schedule a short weekend trip.

Good Luck

Old 04-29-2017, 03:59 PM

Thank you for the reply! I Will definitely look into Bellevue, and branch out from there. I may have time to do a trip over Memorial day weekend, but that wouldn't leave me much flexibility in checking it out before accepting or declining a job. I'll see if I can come down sooner. I've been doing lots of research and I'm really excited about potentially living there.

Old 04-29-2017, 07:48 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
Your budget is low for new and shiny in the urban core. I'd also look at 8th Ave/Melrose corridor or West Nashville/Nations (the stretch along Charlotte between 40-51st.

Way different here than 5 years ago (for the better IMO). I moved from SF and never go to church ever. Aside from certain training groups training at o-dark on Sunday so some people can go to church and no buying alcohol and certain other stores/places not open on Sundays, it hasn't been an issue (except you can get $h**-faced in the bars on Sunday - go figure.) Decent running community. Cycling isn't the best - car-centric lifestyle here and they are s.l.o.w.l.y. improving the roads. But nothing like the west. You really should visit to decide since it's a lot more expensive here than most realize.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:21 AM

25 posts, read 29,231 times
Although there is plenty of things to do here and Middle TN is very diverse, I would have to agree with N.Cal that you might want to visit first before taking the plunge.

Old 05-29-2017, 05:55 AM

19 posts, read 38,501 times
If you love running and cycling, you might check out a map of the Nashville greenways. They run throughout the city and are mostly connected via residential areas and parks and go through downtown. I used to ride my bike to work via the greenways when I lived in east Nashville and I enjoyed it.

1500 will get you less the closer you get to downtown unless you have a roommate. We have a severe housing shortage here and so property owners are milking it $$$. I live near Nippers Corner and there seem to be some decent priced rentals/apartments in this area. While I do attend church, I think it's a common misconception that people here are pushy about their faith. Most people mind their own business and run in their own circles. Nashville does have a small town feel, which can be a positive or negative depending on how you look at it. It amazes me every day how many people I meet that know someone else I already know.

I would concur that you should visit and make sure you like it though. It is a great place but I definitely find myself complaining often about traffic and the abundance of terrible drivers lol.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subles View Post
If you love running and cycling, you might check out a map of the Nashville greenways. They run throughout the city and are mostly connected via residential areas and parks and go through downtown. I used to ride my bike to work via the greenways when I lived in east Nashville and I enjoyed it.

1500 will get you less the closer you get to downtown unless you have a roommate. We have a severe housing shortage here and so property owners are milking it $$$. I live near Nippers Corner and there seem to be some decent priced rentals/apartments in this area. While I do attend church, I think it's a common misconception that people here are pushy about their faith. Most people mind their own business and run in their own circles. Nashville does have a small town feel, which can be a positive or negative depending on how you look at it. It amazes me every day how many people I meet that know someone else I already know.

I would concur that you should visit and make sure you like it though. It is a great place but I definitely find myself complaining often about traffic and the abundance of terrible drivers lol.
Thank you! This was very helpful. I love places with a small town feel. At the end of the day, I feel like it's a job I can't pass up, so looks like I'm making the jump. I'll probably make a short trip to find a place before loading up the uhaul, so if it's not what I'm expecting, I can turn down the job. But I highly doubt that will be the case.

I know it's not the PNW - but Seattle is going through lots of its own growing pains right now. I also don't mind older building with no amenities, I actually prefer them to shiny and new. Thank you all for your help! I will probably be back asking about certain areas

Old 06-08-2017, 06:41 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,875,478 times
I moved here from Boston which is a totally different culture from Nashville, granted I had went to undergrad here in Nashville so I had liked the city and culture before I moved back. I have met many transplants from Boston, NY and Chicago so you will not be alone, most move here to work at Vanderbilt Medical Center or in the health care field and most of the transplants I have met like it here. Visit here for a week and go apartment hunting and visit some of the sites and talk to some locals, see if you like it. Summers here are super hot and humid usually, this year has not been that bad so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville