Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 12:39 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,740,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
One thing that may help is get a Google Voice number with a 615 or other reasonably local (931) TN area code. Another thing I've done when trying to relocate is simply leave the address off my resume, or try getting a local P.O. Box.

With tons of people pouring into Nashville, employers can be picky. It's always more difficult to get a job as an out of the area candidate, especially if you're somewhere where you can't easily even get to where you want to go for a face to face.

This might work for a kid straight out of college or someone who is looking for/doesn't mind low end work, but it's going to be difficult for a higher up professional. I work in IT. If I were to simply pack up, move somewhere, and it takes nine months to find a professional job, that's going to be tough to explain away.
Is that why you couldn't get a job in Nashville? Because you aren't from here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 11:43 PM

71 posts, read 81,273 times
Going to chime in here. I've lived in Nashville 2.5 years as of the end of this month and my background is in communications/marketing. The job market is BRUTAL here. I recently learned my job I loved is being eliminated due to structural reorganization and am already hating job hunting. A job I applied for on Monday has upwards of 250 applicants; no idea how many of those applicants are local, but when there are people like me who are already established here, it really doesn't make sense for a company to bring in someone from out of state in this market, unless your experience blows most other applicants out of the water. (I'm a bit further along in my career, so I doubt we are applying for the same jobs, OP).

On the flip side of the coin, I hope this isn't the case in other cities, as I'm contemplating expanding my job hunt outside of Nashville to a handful of other places. I like Nashville, but the cost of living has skyrocketed in the two and a half years I've lived here, particularly the cost of housing/rent, and at least in my experience, the salaries have not kept up with the increased cost of living. That being said, I can count the number of cities I would leave Nashville for on one hand. (I could definitely do without all the bachelorette parties, though, especially since they don't limit themselves to the typical downtown haunts anymore).

OP, I actually appear to have lived similar places as you. I was born in South Carolina (Charleston) and went to grad school in DC. Charleston is one of the only cities I would leave Nashville for.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:39 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,278,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
Is that why you couldn't get a job in Nashville? Because you aren't from here?
I haven't really looked in Nashville since 2013-2014. I did have offers, but the pay was under $40,000. It was more than I was making at the time, but not enough to warrant moving down there.

Old 07-27-2017, 07:51 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,005,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
The "have a job/have a place" mantra is so frustrating. Applying to Nashville jobs, spoke to one company this morning after talking to them over the weekend. They said they're only considering local applicants right now and asked if I plan on moving soon.

So you can't get a job until you move, but you can't move until you get a job. It feels like a lose lose. Hopefully this doesnt become a recurring theme.
Maybe you covered this earlier in the thread (haven't gone back to read every post) but what type of job/industry are you looking for?? I moved here from out of state about 4.5 yrs ago. I got my initial job through a staffing company (contract to hire) and it worked out for me. I eventually found another job in the area which I enjoyed more after initially moving here.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:14 AM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Maybe you covered this earlier in the thread (haven't gone back to read every post) but what type of job/industry are you looking for?? I moved here from out of state about 4.5 yrs ago. I got my initial job through a staffing company (contract to hire) and it worked out for me. I eventually found another job in the area which I enjoyed more after initially moving here.
To generalize, the communications/marketing area. My gf is psychology, but she does not yet have her Masters.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:00 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,445,360 times
My gf got to visit Nashville last week for a bachelorette party. While she didn't get too see all that I wanted her to, she said she really, really liked it.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:29 AM

15 posts, read 27,436 times
This city is going to be a complete mess here in a few years. Growing too fast and the infastructure is no where near well enough to handle all the growth. Think driving to work sucks now? Give it 2-3 years while they keep paving I65 over and over again, but let 440 continue to crumble into a gravel road. Maybe, just maybe, at some point the Music City Star will start running during times that people can actually use it rather than having to worry about being stranded downtown and having to take an uber all the way back east.

The last few mayors have had these grandiose ideas to make this city big and wonderful and blah blah blah, but completely neglected the road/transportation side of it. Who cares about traffic when we can have a wonderful new convention center, baseball park, water front "art", etc etc etc.

And of course with people come crime. This city is slowly turning ghetto. And no matter what anyone says, it's not limited to certain areas or neighborhoods. There are carjackings all over the city. Robberies on a daily basis. Atleast 2 or 3 shootings a day. Tourists getting robbed/shot/killed downtown.

Nashville has the opportunity to be a nice city, but our local officials have their heads elsewhere rather than trying to prepare for the future reality of what this city is becoming.

Last edited by JMT; 08-09-2017 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: language

Old 08-09-2017, 08:40 AM

108 posts, read 143,304 times
His city is nicer than than its ever been. All of the downtown neighborhoods are gentrified.we are bigger now than ever before and our net number of homicides is still lower than the 1990s and early 2000's. Not even per capita, net. The answer to the transportation problem is alternative transit options. Take the bus. Utilize the bike lanes that have been built recently. There are sidewalk improvements going on all over town. Jefferson st and Harding place just got new sidewalks. 8th ave is getting one. 51 st in the nations did too.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:46 AM

2,426 posts, read 2,475,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N8D615 View Post
This city is going to be a complete mess here in a few years. Growing too fast and the infastructure is no where near well enough to handle all the growth. Think driving to work sucks now? Give it 2-3 years while they keep paving I65 over and over again, but let 440 continue to crumble into a gravel road. Maybe, just maybe, at some point the Music City Star will start running during times that people can actually use it rather than having to worry about being stranded downtown and having to take an uber all the way back east.

The last few mayors have had these grandiose ideas to make this city big and wonderful and blah blah blah, but completely neglected the road/transportation side of it. Who cares about traffic when we can have a wonderful new convention center, baseball park, water front "art", etc etc etc.

And of course with people come crime. This city is slowly turning ghetto. And no matter what anyone says, it's not limited to certain areas or neighborhoods. There are carjackings all over the city. Robberies on a daily basis. Atleast 2 or 3 shootings a day. Tourists getting robbed/shot/killed downtown.

Nashville has the opportunity to be a nice city, but our local officials have their heads elsewhere rather than trying to prepare for the future reality of what this city is becoming.

One thing I have to Agree with you on is the Transit!!! Nashville is way too Big and Growing way to fast to operate off of the Current MTA bus Service and one Commuter Rail line...At the rate its going that City will choke on Traffic... Sorry to say but Light rail is Mandatory at this point. Love Nashville though!!! Love what it has become and becoming...

Old 08-09-2017, 11:40 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,005,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
One thing I have to Agree with you on is the Transit!!! Nashville is way too Big and Growing way to fast to operate off of the Current MTA bus Service and one Commuter Rail line...At the rate its going that City will choke on Traffic... Sorry to say but Light rail is Mandatory at this point. Love Nashville though!!! Love what it has become and becoming...
agree. nashville needs more commuter rail lines. I doubt it'll happen or at least fast enough compared to the rate the city is growing. The city isn't laid out in an intuitive way in the first place which makes getting around during rush hour a headache as it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville