Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2017, 07:47 PM

38 posts, read 49,958 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife and I will be relocating to the Nashville area from Los Angeles this summer. We are looking for any guidance that can be given about the Mt. Juliet/Lebanon/Hendersonville/Gallatin areas. We currently do not have children, but will in the future. We are finding several new houses available in the Mt Juliet and Lebanon areas. Are these areas easily accessible to downtown Nashville? Are there any specific drawbacks to any of these areas? Any input is appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2017, 08:19 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,478,931 times
In order of access to downtown...
Mt. Juliet
Hendersonville
Lebanon
Gallatin

I'd say that right now Wilson has slightly better access, primarily because I-65 north of the city (to Sumner) is under construction, and will be getting a major overhaul east of the river soon. That would impact Sumner residents more. However, things will be changing... see my reasons. Widening of the Vietnam Veterans expressway through Sumner has just been funded through the governor's roads bill. That means construction for years to come. Sumner is more developed at this time. The problem with coming into downtown from Wilson is the convergence with I-24 east of town. Things hit a serious crunch there, and I have not seen any plans to expand the lanes through that stretch. Maybe someone else has and I'm just too removed from those details. I know you didn't ask, but Wilson has better access to Williamson and Rutherford counties... via I-40/I-440 and I-840.

All nice areas. I'd say schools in both counties are generally good, with pockets of not-so-much. Wilson County is on I-40, which of course, has better access to BNA. Hendersonville is considerably larger than the other three cities. All are still suburban, with parts of all of them still semi-rural. You'll see that more land costs a lot more the closer you get to Nashville. Wilson is growing at a faster rate right now than Sumner, but because Sumner has about 30% more people, the total growth numbers are very close. Lots of areas in Sumner between H'ville and Gallatin have now been opened up for development. Wilson's growth is about to hit the parabolic "sweet spot" where the rate is accelerating by double digits. That's a pattern lots of counties see at that stage of their growth. Williamson has been there for about two decades now. Rutherford, a bit longer. Wilson could be larger than Sumner in 25-30 years.

Both counties have access to Old Hickory Lake (an Army Corp. of Engineering lake), which does allow residential development on lakefront lots. In recent years however, they've restricted boat docks considerably. Wilson also has access to Percy Priest which does not allow residential lots. Some are grandfathered in.

Schools will vary from zone to zone in both counties. Wilson is beginning to catch up to Sumner as far as retail offerings, but Sumner has better access to the large regional mall that serves that part of the metro. Wilson has just slightly better access to Opry Mills mall and Opryland resort. Wilson has I-840 access at multiple locations. Lots of warehouse type businesses have located near those areas in recent years. Sumner will be getting better access to I-65 (north of Nashville) near the KY state line in the next several years with a major exit to State Route 109 which cuts right down the center of the county. Much of that route is being 4-laned, and will eventually be that way all the way to I-40 through Wilson County. Both counties will see lots more residential development in the future, but (based on development trends in each direction) it's my sense that Wilson will see more apartment complex development than Sumner.

Both counties will continue to see robust growth. Hard to predict future populations, but I'd guess at least 250K for Sumner by 2030; and 215-220 for Wilson by that time. Right now they are, Sumner 185K and Wilson 130K. Just my swag estimates for current year.

Last edited by shinestx; 06-05-2017 at 08:30 PM..

Old 06-05-2017, 08:41 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,695,150 times
^^A very good run down of the 2 counties. I'll add that Wilson also has the only commuter train in the area and links Lebanon and My Juliet directly to downtown Nashville.

As far as schools go, Lebanon has absolutely horrible schools. I'd rank the schools in this order:
1. Hendersonville
2. My Juliet

3. Gallatin

4. Lebanon

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 06-05-2017, 09:53 PM

Oops! Very good point. I've not been in Wilson in some time. Music City Star... the link to Wilson County.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
In order of access to downtown...
Mt. Juliet
Hendersonville
Lebanon
Gallatin

I'd say that right now Wilson has slightly better access, primarily because I-65 north of the city (to Sumner) is under construction, and will be getting a major overhaul east of the river soon. That would impact Sumner residents more. However, things will be changing... see my reasons. Widening of the Vietnam Veterans expressway through Sumner has just been funded through the governor's roads bill. That means construction for years to come. Sumner is more developed at this time. The problem with coming into downtown from Wilson is the convergence with I-24 east of town. Things hit a serious crunch there, and I have not seen any plans to expand the lanes through that stretch. Maybe someone else has and I'm just too removed from those details. I know you didn't ask, but Wilson has better access to Williamson and Rutherford counties... via I-40/I-440 and I-840.

All nice areas. I'd say schools in both counties are generally good, with pockets of not-so-much. Wilson County is on I-40, which of course, has better access to BNA. Hendersonville is considerably larger than the other three cities. All are still suburban, with parts of all of them still semi-rural. You'll see that more land costs a lot more the closer you get to Nashville. Wilson is growing at a faster rate right now than Sumner, but because Sumner has about 30% more people, the total growth numbers are very close. Lots of areas in Sumner between H'ville and Gallatin have now been opened up for development. Wilson's growth is about to hit the parabolic "sweet spot" where the rate is accelerating by double digits. That's a pattern lots of counties see at that stage of their growth. Williamson has been there for about two decades now. Rutherford, a bit longer. Wilson could be larger than Sumner in 25-30 years.

Both counties have access to Old Hickory Lake (an Army Corp. of Engineering lake), which does allow residential development on lakefront lots. In recent years however, they've restricted boat docks considerably. Wilson also has access to Percy Priest which does not allow residential lots. Some are grandfathered in.

Schools will vary from zone to zone in both counties. Wilson is beginning to catch up to Sumner as far as retail offerings, but Sumner has better access to the large regional mall that serves that part of the metro. Wilson has just slightly better access to Opry Mills mall and Opryland resort. Wilson has I-840 access at multiple locations. Lots of warehouse type businesses have located near those areas in recent years. Sumner will be getting better access to I-65 (north of Nashville) near the KY state line in the next several years with a major exit to State Route 109 which cuts right down the center of the county. Much of that route is being 4-laned, and will eventually be that way all the way to I-40 through Wilson County. Both counties will see lots more residential development in the future, but (based on development trends in each direction) it's my sense that Wilson will see more apartment complex development than Sumner.

Both counties will continue to see robust growth. Hard to predict future populations, but I'd guess at least 250K for Sumner by 2030; and 215-220 for Wilson by that time. Right now they are, Sumner 185K and Wilson 130K. Just my swag estimates for current year.
Thank you for the helpful information!

I was also wondering what is the situation in terms of housing... Obviously, we can search for listings online, but I am curious if you feel the market is over-inflated right now? Or, do you think its a good time to get in being that both counties are projecting strong growth?

Also, since we do not have children yet, does it seem that Lebanon schools are poised to improve in the next 6-7 years?

Thank you again!

Old 06-05-2017, 10:12 PM

Good time to get in. Both because Davidson is getting sky-high for residential... and because both Sumner and Wilson are building a lot of new houses at this time. Do I think those two counties are overbuilt now? No. Just starting to grow for reasons outlined above.

Old 06-05-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Good time to get in. Both because Davidson is getting sky-high for residential... and because both Sumner and Wilson are building a lot of new houses at this time. Do I think those two counties are overbuilt now? No. Just starting to grow for reasons outlined above.
Thank you again for the input!

Old 06-05-2017, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Just one more question....

What about the Goodlettsville area? Love the proximity to town....

Old 06-05-2017, 11:23 PM

Great proximity to downtown. I assume you'll be commuting there. G'ville is in a very convenient location and the prices there are reasonable. It straddles Davidson and Sumner Counties. Be careful about schools... I know nothing about them in that area. Don't know specifics about G'ville... Moss Trail area has very nice houses and big yards, and very close to all the major routes. Windridge on the Sumner County side has newer and bigger houses with smaller yards. Then there's an area tucked away to the north of the center of G'ville... Connell Heights. Older houses, but big yards and great access to I-65. I would expect G'ville to be more affordable than both H'ville and Mt. Juliet.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:28 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,429,723 times
Good explanation all around...

As for Goodlettsville, about 2/3rds-3/4ths of the city is in Davidson County with the remaining area being in Sumner County. I would lean more towards the Sumner County side if possible as the schools are going to be higher-regarded (Madison Creek Elementary/TW Hunter Middle/Beech High School). You're probably okay through elementary school on the Davidson side. Goodlettsville is also unique in that it has its own separate fire/police departments and is mostly autonomous from Nashville even though most of the city is in Davidson County. That means more public services like city trash pickup, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville