U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-16-2008, 04:40 PM
 
Location: McHenry, IL
1,506 posts, read 2,311,878 times
Reputation: 1373

Advertisements

Been looking over the plans for this proposed skyscraper in Nashville. Seems like they're having trouble selling/leasing the apartments. I know I wouldn't want to live in a 1,000 ft. tall building in this day & age.

Looking at the artists renderings, the building also looks really out of place with the rest of the Nashville skyline. Why are they making it so tall I wonder?

Interested to hear opinions from locals. Is this building really gonna happen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-16-2008, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
6,300 posts, read 15,683,166 times
Reputation: 1597
Making it that tall gives it immediately and free advertising (as does the Bell Building now . . . you can hardly find a photo of downtown Nashville now that doesn't show the Bell Building).

I believe the building probably will happen eventually. The developer has a pretty good track record. Of course, the plans and concept will probably get changed along the way. It might get shortened just a bit to get the FAA to sign off on it (even though most of us wonder why the FAA was concerned in the first place).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2008, 04:59 PM
 
Location: McHenry, IL
1,506 posts, read 2,311,878 times
Reputation: 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
It might get shortened just a bit to get the FAA to sign off on it (even though most of us wonder why the FAA was concerned in the first place).
Yeah I was wondering about that, too. Does the flight pattern to BNA come over downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2008, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
6,300 posts, read 15,683,166 times
Reputation: 1597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Yeah I was wondering about that, too. Does the flight pattern to BNA come over downtown?
Not really. One of the flight paths is over East Nashville.

I don't have any inside information, but I doubt that the FAA thing is what's holding up the tower. I think the economy and other factors are more involved in the decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2008, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Nashville, Tn
7,917 posts, read 11,560,637 times
Reputation: 5299
I've read quite a bit about this project because I'm interested in architecture and skyscrapers in particular. The airport is about four miles from the building site and the FAA has voiced some opposition although it sounded like there might be a way to make it happen. A very tall building proposed in Las Vegas was going to be over 1800 feet high and very close to the airport. The FAA stopped that project from going forward and they are not going to build a much shorter building. I really like the design of the Signature Tower and it's gotten alot of publicity. From everything I've read they're trying to sell enough units to get the financing and the real estate market has been very bad for some time. I believe they're reducing the number of condos and increasing the hotel space which would make it more like to happen. The problem is that in several months there is a deadline in which the existing contracts for condos will become void if construction hasn't started. I think it might be in June but I'm not positive. I'm hopeful they can pull it off, it would be an instant classic and people would associate it with Nashville in the same way that people associate the Space Needle with Seattle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2008, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
6,300 posts, read 15,683,166 times
Reputation: 1597
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I've read quite a bit about this project because I'm interested in architecture and skyscrapers in particular. The airport is about four miles from the building site and the FAA has voiced some opposition although it sounded like there might be a way to make it happen. A very tall building proposed in Las Vegas was going to be over 1800 feet high and very close to the airport. The FAA stopped that project from going forward and they are not going to build a much shorter building. I really like the design of the Signature Tower and it's gotten alot of publicity. From everything I've read they're trying to sell enough units to get the financing and the real estate market has been very bad for some time. I believe they're reducing the number of condos and increasing the hotel space which would make it more like to happen. The problem is that in several months there is a deadline in which the existing contracts for condos will become void if construction hasn't started. I think it might be in June but I'm not positive. I'm hopeful they can pull it off, it would be an instant classic and people would associate it with Nashville in the same way that people associate the Space Needle with Seattle.
I might be able to get you some drawings of the building, if the structural engineers are who I think they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2008, 06:01 PM
 
Location: McHenry, IL
1,506 posts, read 2,311,878 times
Reputation: 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I'm hopeful they can pull it off, it would be an instant classic and people would associate it with Nashville in the same way that people associate the Space Needle with Seattle.
It would be cool, no doubt......I just thought it looked more than a bit odd completely towering over all the other buildings. What would be really awesome is if they did a modern art deco design at that height. The current design is too "spacy", and doesn't blend in well with the current skyline at all, IMO......an entirely uneducated opinion, of course. Either way, I agree it will be a great thing for Nashville. We're talking about it in a public forum, which is what the developers want, I'm sure! Keeps the buzz going!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2008, 12:03 PM
 
Location: McHenry, IL
1,506 posts, read 2,311,878 times
Reputation: 1373
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
I've read quite a bit about this project because I'm interested in architecture and skyscrapers in particular.
You know, I am too. I guess Philadelphia is also planning a building that reaches well over 1,000 ft., although its design is different from Signature. Theirs kinda resembles Freedom Tower in New York. The Chicago Spire is a mesmorizing structure.......that one is going to take your breath away when it's finished.

As I said, it would be awesome for Nashville to have a building that ranks up there with these others......and even MORE awesome to have the souths tallest building (nyah, nyah, Atlanta.....HA!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2008, 01:58 PM
 
Location: Nashville, Tn
7,917 posts, read 11,560,637 times
Reputation: 5299
I don't want to drift away from the topic but if you really want to see some tall buildings look at the Burj Dubai which is now the tallest building in the world and still has a long way upwards before it's topped out and check out some of the construction that's going on in Asia. I was in China years ago and it's unrecognizable from what it used to be. Getting back to the Signature Tower I think it's the crown of the building that really gets my attention. That's why I think it would really become an icon building. The Chrysler Building in New York is a classic beautiful building also do to the design of the crown and spire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2008, 02:13 PM
 
339 posts, read 625,415 times
Reputation: 215
Signature Tower is a beautiful building but I do that think its construction is putting the cart before the horse. Downtown is not equipped to deal with something as huge as this would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top