U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2017, 12:23 AM

37 posts, read 27,300 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am currently working as a traveling RN while my family and I try to coordinate a great place for us to live, me to work (I'm trying to get into the Labor and Delivery field & that is why we are currently traveling - I'm applying for those jobs while I work temp jobs as a Med Surg RN), and my husband to finish engineering school. He's been accepted to TSU in Nashville, and I may have an opportunity to get us near there by doing a travel nursing assignment in Gallatin. We are in Napa, CA now and our permanent home is in NM, but we are considering a permanent move to the Nashville area to be closer to my family in Missouri and since my husband can go to school there, plus we've done a lot of research on Nashville and think it'd be a nice place to live near. There was a time when I wanted to stay in CA, but I'm over it. I want a place we can afford a home and a place closer to my family in the Midwest.

I would like a small town near Nashville, where every day people can afford a home, and with a reasonable commute to TSU for my husband. I'm hoping the town will have a somewhat creative vibe to it, though, and have atleast some nice restaurants, parks, etc...nice places for families. Mostly we want a place that feels safe and has good schools and feels cozy with a sense of community. Also, does Gallatin have much of a farmer's market? Also, landscape photography is my biggest hobby so living near a place I can find nice scenic areas for sunset pic, etc., isn't a priority, but would be nice as it gives me something for a hobby .

What can you tell me about Gallatin from your experiences?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 08:02 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,800,922 times
How small is "small"? If you want small town, Gallatin is probably not as "small" as you think. Over the past 20 years, the whole suburban areas of North Davidson County and Hendersonville have grown farther north along US 31E (Gallatin Rd; Main St.; Nashville Hwy). It is the main "spine" of growth in Sumner County (est. pop. 200,000), of which Gallatin is the county seat. The population will hit 40,000 by the next census.

Gallatin has a town square typical of what you find in county seats and towns of significant size throughout Tennessee. Until recently (last decade) it was not in the best repair. But recent efforts have spruced up the city's downtown. But if you're looking in Gallatin, you'll probably want to live west of the downtown, as that's closer to Nashville. The Vietnam Vets expwy now goes nearly all the way to TN state hwy 109. 109 is under construction to 4-lane divided from I-840 in Wilson County to a new interchange at I-65 near Portland, just south of the Kentucky line.

That said, you probably won't find the idyllic small town if that's what you're looking for. You might find that in Millersville (just up I-65 past Goodlettsville). You might look at Springfield, or southwest Robertson County. That might be a great location for your husband to commute to TSU, via Briley Pkwy/Clarksville Hwy.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:06 AM

3,795 posts, read 3,594,191 times
Quote:
where every day people can afford a home
Define "afford a home".

Old 11-16-2017, 08:39 AM

3,809 posts, read 7,509,472 times
First of all, welcome and it sounds like Gallatin and Sumner County could be a good fit as long as you're aware of a few things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissahall456 View Post
I would like a small town near Nashville, where every day people can afford a home, and with a reasonable commute to TSU for my husband.
A couple of questions...will your husband's class schedule be primarily during the day or night courses? (Based on my personal experience, many graduate level courses are offered at night) Commuting from Gallatin to TSU during regular rush hour is not a great commute. I'd count on at least an hour in the mornings and plan for 1:15, depending on where in Gallatin you live and how long it takes you to get to hwy 386 to connect to the interstate. If his classes will be off-peak commuting times, you can lower that down to about 45 minutes. It's not what I'd call convenient, but it's not unbearable for a couple of years especially if he has some scheduling flexibility.

What does your home budget look like?

Also, I wouldn't call Gallatin a "small town" personally. It does have a distinct identity and is not "just a suburb". It has its own town square (actually the county square as it is the county seat of Sumner County), its own city services, etc. It has a quaintness to it and if that's what you mean by "small town" then it could be a good fit. This, compared to Hendersonville to the southwest which feels more like a suburb (though that has begun to change too). But Gallatin has about 35,000 residents. Not nearly as "small" as other areas in the county like Westmoreland, Bethpage...etc. which are true "small towns" with a stop light or two.

Quote:
I'm hoping the town will have a somewhat creative vibe to it, though, and have atleast some nice restaurants, parks, etc...nice places for families.
This is also something that drew us to Gallatin in recent years after having lived in Hendersonville for about 10 years: the square is really becoming a vibrant place to eat/shop/visit. Great library downtown with a great staff who are always planning events, several locally owned restaurants (Crescent City, Swaney Swift's, Starr Ranch, Prince St. Pizza), and a surprising number of boutique stores with arts and crafts. There's also the new Worthington Gallery which I haven't visited yet but looks to be a very nice art gallery/market (honestly, it looks like it'd be more suited for Belle Meade in upscale Nashville than Gallatin). So there's a creative vibe there...though I wouldn't go so far as to say there's an art district or anything quite as developed as that yet.

There are 2 large city parks that come to mind: Triple Creek and Municipal. Both are large and have lots of rec league soccer, baseball/softball, etc. There's also ample walking trails there and some play areas. The Civic Center has indoor and outdoor aquatics (just built a brand new water park that is really amazing), racquetball, basketball, and gym facilities. On top of that, there's Old Hickory Lake and the Cumberland River if you are interested in boating, fishing or other outdoor activities.

Quote:
Mostly we want a place that feels safe and has good schools and feels cozy with a sense of community.
So here's where you'll see some divergence. Some Gallatin schools are excellent (Union STEM Elementary, Jack Anderson Elementary, all of the Station Camp schools: SC Elementary, SC Middle, SC High) and some that are not. Generally speaking, the closer to the Station Camp area (southwestern part of Gallatin bordering Hendersonville) the safer the bet is. That's not to say you won't have a good experience in other parts of Gallatin...I most definitely think you can (Guild Elementary comes to mind which is in a lower income area but has very good ratings). But it becomes less of a sure thing. Just do your homework on school review websites, ask realtors when you get close to moving, etc.

I do get a good sense of cozy and community here. There is some issues with crime (common sense things like keeping car doors locked and valuables out of sight helps prevent it) but Gallatin PD is very responsive and visible in the community. There are some fairly rough areas of Gallatin, moreso than Hendersonville, but I've never felt unsafe in Gallatin.

Quote:
Also, does Gallatin have much of a farmer's market?
Eh, sorta. I've only been to the farmer's market twice...pretty small with maybe 10-12 vendors selling anything from raw milk and fresh eggs to meat and vegetables. There may be more vendors there during more peak times of the year though. They have their own dedicated space just off the square. Nashville has a major farmer's market if you really want to seek that out. There's also Hendersonville Produce which has great local offerings.

Quote:
Also, landscape photography is my biggest hobby so living near a place I can find nice scenic areas for sunset pic, etc., isn't a priority, but would be nice as it gives me something for a hobby .
Plenty of farmland, lakeshore, and hills nearby for that.

Quote:
What can you tell me about Gallatin from your experiences?
A couple other things that can take some getting used to for CA transplants:

- There are lots of churches here. Some transplants have observed they get asked where they go to church as an ice-breaking part of the conversation. I've never personally done that nor ever heard it mentioned in a conversation to that extent; however, you might be aware that religion is very important to many people in this part of the country.
- All of the halo counties around Nashville tend to be politically conservative. Sumner County is no exception. While you'll find pockets of more progressive minded people, it's pretty right of center overall. That said, I'm a blue dot in a red sea and don't experience any personal problems with friends and neighbors who don't share my beliefs. It's a very "live and let live" area.
- There are a good number of transplants here. The Beretta gun company moved operations here recently so there are quite a few folks who relocated. The rule of thumb right now is that 100 people move to the Nashville area each day. This area in general is very attractive to people relocating.

Hope that helps...and ask away if you have more questions.

Old 11-16-2017, 12:53 PM

5,188 posts, read 5,117,544 times
I'm enjoying this thread as we also plan to move to Gallatin/Hendersonville area in a couple years, as our "forever" (retirement) home! I appreciate any and all info and opinions!

Old 11-17-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinestx View Post
How small is "small"? If you want small town, Gallatin is probably not as "small" as you think. Over the past 20 years, the whole suburban areas of North Davidson County and Hendersonville have grown farther north along US 31E (Gallatin Rd; Main St.; Nashville Hwy). It is the main "spine" of growth in Sumner County (est. pop. 200,000), of which Gallatin is the county seat. The population will hit 40,000 by the next census.

Gallatin has a town square typical of what you find in county seats and towns of significant size throughout Tennessee. Until recently (last decade) it was not in the best repair. But recent efforts have spruced up the city's downtown. But if you're looking in Gallatin, you'll probably want to live west of the downtown, as that's closer to Nashville. The Vietnam Vets expwy now goes nearly all the way to TN state hwy 109. 109 is under construction to 4-lane divided from I-840 in Wilson County to a new interchange at I-65 near Portland, just south of the Kentucky line.

That said, you probably won't find the idyllic small town if that's what you're looking for. You might find that in Millersville (just up I-65 past Goodlettsville). You might look at Springfield, or southwest Robertson County. That might be a great location for your husband to commute to TSU, via Briley Pkwy/Clarksville Hwy.
Thanks for your reply . 40,000 may be good. I grew up in a town with around 16,000 people in Missouri and I was thinking a town around that size, but very close to Nashville may be good. I love towns that have squares. Hopefully they have lots of events for Christmas, etc., there . Thanks for the info on the highways, that's very helpful. I wrote down the names of the towns you mentioned. If I get the temp job in Gallatin atleast we'll have 3 months to look around and decide if it's somewhere we want to stay or if to look for permanent job and home somewhere else nearby.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
Define "afford a home".
Are you from N. Cal?
Well, I mean to not feel like paying my mortgage is going to be the sole focus and fear of my existence lol. I look at million dollar shacks listed here in Northern, CA, and it makes me sad. I feel like people with jobs like nurses, teachers, and firefighters, etc., have to all live in apartments because they can't afford a home. We just want a small cozy home we can fix up how we want, etc.! I'm just an RN, but hoping I may be able to buy us a small home until my husband is done with engineering school. I'm not talking about a brand new home....just something decent. I really want a front porch and hoping they have more of those in TN lol . I'm not quite sure not the cost of living difference yet or what I would make in a permanent position so not sure on a price range. I realize the Nashville area and Franklin have prices that are becoming very expensive so we need to get there quickly if we're coming! (My hope was to live in Franklin, but doubt we could buy a home there)

Old 11-17-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
First of all, welcome and it sounds like Gallatin and Sumner County could be a good fit as long as you're aware of a few things...

A couple of questions...will your husband's class schedule be primarily during the day or night courses? (Based on my personal experience, many graduate level courses are offered at night) Commuting from Gallatin to TSU during regular rush hour is not a great commute. I'd count on at least an hour in the mornings and plan for 1:15, depending on where in Gallatin you live and how long it takes you to get to hwy 386 to connect to the interstate. If his classes will be off-peak commuting times, you can lower that down to about 45 minutes. It's not what I'd call convenient, but it's not unbearable for a couple of years especially if he has some scheduling flexibility.

What does your home budget look like?

Also, I wouldn't call Gallatin a "small town" personally. It does have a distinct identity and is not "just a suburb". It has its own town square (actually the county square as it is the county seat of Sumner County), its own city services, etc. It has a quaintness to it and if that's what you mean by "small town" then it could be a good fit. This, compared to Hendersonville to the southwest which feels more like a suburb (though that has begun to change too). But Gallatin has about 35,000 residents. Not nearly as "small" as other areas in the county like Westmoreland, Bethpage...etc. which are true "small towns" with a stop light or two.

This is also something that drew us to Gallatin in recent years after having lived in Hendersonville for about 10 years: the square is really becoming a vibrant place to eat/shop/visit. Great library downtown with a great staff who are always planning events, several locally owned restaurants (Crescent City, Swaney Swift's, Starr Ranch, Prince St. Pizza), and a surprising number of boutique stores with arts and crafts. There's also the new Worthington Gallery which I haven't visited yet but looks to be a very nice art gallery/market (honestly, it looks like it'd be more suited for Belle Meade in upscale Nashville than Gallatin). So there's a creative vibe there...though I wouldn't go so far as to say there's an art district or anything quite as developed as that yet.

There are 2 large city parks that come to mind: Triple Creek and Municipal. Both are large and have lots of rec league soccer, baseball/softball, etc. There's also ample walking trails there and some play areas. The Civic Center has indoor and outdoor aquatics (just built a brand new water park that is really amazing), racquetball, basketball, and gym facilities. On top of that, there's Old Hickory Lake and the Cumberland River if you are interested in boating, fishing or other outdoor activities.

So here's where you'll see some divergence. Some Gallatin schools are excellent (Union STEM Elementary, Jack Anderson Elementary, all of the Station Camp schools: SC Elementary, SC Middle, SC High) and some that are not. Generally speaking, the closer to the Station Camp area (southwestern part of Gallatin bordering Hendersonville) the safer the bet is. That's not to say you won't have a good experience in other parts of Gallatin...I most definitely think you can (Guild Elementary comes to mind which is in a lower income area but has very good ratings). But it becomes less of a sure thing. Just do your homework on school review websites, ask realtors when you get close to moving, etc.

I do get a good sense of cozy and community here. There is some issues with crime (common sense things like keeping car doors locked and valuables out of sight helps prevent it) but Gallatin PD is very responsive and visible in the community. There are some fairly rough areas of Gallatin, moreso than Hendersonville, but I've never felt unsafe in Gallatin.

Eh, sorta. I've only been to the farmer's market twice...pretty small with maybe 10-12 vendors selling anything from raw milk and fresh eggs to meat and vegetables. There may be more vendors there during more peak times of the year though. They have their own dedicated space just off the square. Nashville has a major farmer's market if you really want to seek that out. There's also Hendersonville Produce which has great local offerings.

Plenty of farmland, lakeshore, and hills nearby for that.

A couple other things that can take some getting used to for CA transplants:

- There are lots of churches here. Some transplants have observed they get asked where they go to church as an ice-breaking part of the conversation. I've never personally done that nor ever heard it mentioned in a conversation to that extent; however, you might be aware that religion is very important to many people in this part of the country.
- All of the halo counties around Nashville tend to be politically conservative. Sumner County is no exception. While you'll find pockets of more progressive minded people, it's pretty right of center overall. That said, I'm a blue dot in a red sea and don't experience any personal problems with friends and neighbors who don't share my beliefs. It's a very "live and let live" area.
- There are a good number of transplants here. The Beretta gun company moved operations here recently so there are quite a few folks who relocated. The rule of thumb right now is that 100 people move to the Nashville area each day. This area in general is very attractive to people relocating.

Hope that helps...and ask away if you have more questions.
Thanks for this reply and nice to meet you! Very helpful.We were assuming his classes would be during the day, but he hasn't started looking into the schedule yet since I have landed a permanent job yet. He has applied and been accepted to the program.
Yikes, that commute you mention sounds much longer than we expected. Times when I put Gallatin distance/time to TSU on our GPS to see what it'll be it always says around 35-40 minutes, but I haven't put that in during rush hour.
Our budget won't be much for a while, until he's done with school. I've been an RN for 9 years and I'm supporting a family of 4 alone, so it gets tough. We just bought a new vehicle, too, because we needed one badly so we'll have that payment, but hoping if I found a small enough cute home we could afford it for the same price as rent would cost.
Gallatin may be small enough? I'm hoping for a place with a sense of community. I've heard Nashville really does for being a big city. The awesome thing about temp jobs as a nurse is I can go check places out first. A stop light or two would be too small lol. I grew up in a small city with around 16,000 in MO, and I was thinking a town around that size but right outside of Nashville may be a good fit. So Gallatin could have the same smallish vibe lol?G
Glad it has a good library, as I was just thinking last night that's very important to me. We take our kids to the library a lot. Locally owned restaurants is also important to us, so that's good. It's good to know they're working on keeping the square alive .
Thanks for the park info. We spend a lot of time at parks and on walking trails.
We'll probably go to the Nashville farmer's market, but supporting local markets is very important to us so even it's it's just a few vendors I'm sure we'll go. Thanks for that info.
About the religion thing. I've thought about that, and as long as people don't hate you for not believing the way they do it should be ok. I definitely believe in God/higher power, but I believe in my own idea of what God is and do not belong to any religion.
Thank you so much for all your info!! This forum is very helpful.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:24 AM

3,809 posts, read 7,509,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissahall456 View Post
Yikes, that commute you mention sounds much longer than we expected. Times when I put Gallatin distance/time to TSU on our GPS to see what it'll be it always says around 35-40 minutes, but I haven't put that in during rush hour.
35-40 minutes would be virtually no traffic from here to TSU. The good thing, as shinestx mentioned, is there are multiple ways to get to TSU so he'd have options. None are quick though. My wife was in a TSU undergrad program and had a good number of online courses. Maybe your husband's program will offer some as well to give his commute a break.

Quote:
Our budget won't be much for a while, until he's done with school. I've been an RN for 9 years and I'm supporting a family of 4 alone, so it gets tough. We just bought a new vehicle, too, because we needed one badly so we'll have that payment, but hoping if I found a small enough cute home we could afford it for the same price as rent would cost.
I would definitely consider renting first, just to get the lay of the land. I know that's tough with kids especially, but a year in a rental before deciding on a home (and location) might give you some peace of mind.

Quote:
Gallatin may be small enough? I'm hoping for a place with a sense of community. I've heard Nashville really does for being a big city. The awesome thing about temp jobs as a nurse is I can go check places out first. A stop light or two would be too small lol. I grew up in a small city with around 16,000 in MO, and I was thinking a town around that size but right outside of Nashville may be a good fit. So Gallatin could have the same smallish vibe lol?G
Nashville does have a good sense of community for a bigger city. And Gallatin is close enough for you to enjoy Nashville without some of the hassles of living there. But you certainly don't have to go to Nashville to enjoy a good meal, shop, etc. if you're in Gallatin.

Quote:
Glad it has a good library, as I was just thinking last night that's very important to me. We take our kids to the library a lot. Locally owned restaurants is also important to us, so that's good. It's good to know they're working on keeping the square alive .
They have several festivals at the square each year. Seems like there's about 3-4 usually where they shut off the traffic and make it a pedestrian area only. Lots of vendors, tents, etc.

Quote:
About the religion thing. I've thought about that, and as long as people don't hate you for not believing the way they do it should be ok. I definitely believe in God/higher power, but I believe in my own idea of what God is and do not belong to any religion.
As I said, no one has ever asked me where I go to church or asked about my religious beliefs and I've lived here all my life. I think the people who have experienced that (and again, I think it's fairly rare), for the most part people are just being nice and making conversation and wanting you to feel welcome...and they do that by inviting you to church. No one is going to hate you or try to convert you if you politely tell them its none of their business.

Quote:
Thank you so much for all your info!! This forum is very helpful.
There are some really good folks on this forum. Let us know how we can help.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:04 PM

3,795 posts, read 3,594,191 times
Yes I am from Northern California.

Perhaps you should actually come and visit here to see you what the traffic is like and the cost of housing. And guiding you to locations without knowing your price point really makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville