Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:47 PM

66 posts, read 303,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Where are the bad areas in Hendersonville???
There aren't any. I feel completely safe in Hendersonville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 04:52 AM

427 posts, read 1,307,657 times
Bad stuff happens everywhere. I lived in Gallatin for many years, and still work there. A lot of my students are from Hendersonville, and it's a good place to live.

But again, bad things happen everywhere. Anywhere there are a lot of people and amenities, there will be crime.

From The Tennessean:

Increased population affects city's crime rate | www.tennessean.com | The Tennessean

Old 03-25-2008, 11:34 AM

54 posts, read 108,140 times
Hi.

I was born and raised in Nashville.

I spent a little over 5 years in Madison - mid to late 90's

Where exactly is the house that you are interested in?

I might be able to give some insight on the location.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:20 PM

71 posts, read 408,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2three View Post
Sad to hear the bad parts are spilling into Hendersonville. In reading all the posts on these boards, everyone is always commenting on how crime is so low in Hend' and how they feel so safe! I hope it stays that way. Is your police officer friend on the Hendersonville PD? I know Gallatin has it's not so good area, I'm not very familiar with Goodlettsville, and I have always heard Madison was not a great area (just hear say). But this is the first time I'm hearing Hendersonville thrown onto the mix??
The area of Hendersonville that borders Madison is starting to see more crime. There was just an arrest (story was in the Star News) of a Madison man who was breaking into homes in two very upscale neighborhoods in Hendersonville. I personally live in a lovely neighborhood that most people consider very safe. There have been several home invasions and someone tried to break into my house IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY about two weeks ago. A friend in a different part of the neighborhood actually had someone get into her home before her dog scared him off. The grocery store right down the road has been robbed several times, and so has the nearest gas station down the road (owner keeps a gun hidden on the counter) and my bank. All in Hendersonville. With that being said, I go about my business. I go to dance class and my kids soccer games and feel perfectly safe doing that. It just depends on where you go, and when you go. I can go to Wal Mart, restaurants, etc with no problem. I think it is all in your perspective. I lived my entire life without someone trying to break into my house, so of course it worries me. I have children, so I am much less tolerant of even little crimes than I was before I had children. BUT it isn't like I am worried about getting shot or raped. It's mostly just robberies, but that worries me because a gun usually accompanies that. If you are used to this, it might not bother you at all. Some people don't even think about crime at all, and that is fine. Hendersonville has much less crime than many areas of the country. Overall, the postives about Hendersonville far outweigh any of that. It really is a GREAT place to raise kids, as long as you know that bad things do happen in good places and take appropriate precautions to protect you and your family.
Crime is everywhere now, and it will likely continue as times get tougher economically.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:24 PM

71 posts, read 408,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
I've never seen a bad part of Hendersonville.

The Neely's Bend area is gorgeous. I never knew it was back there until my husband took me out that way to show me. I had to have some tests done at TCH, and he went that way when we left. Great area, very secluded and private.

I have been in and out of Best Buys countless times, and I've never had a problem. I've been there at 2 in the afternoon, and 9 at night. Nothing. The same goes for Toys R Us, Chuckie Cheese and the Mall itself. I do pay attention to what's going on around me, and that might be part of the problem. Mom's are pre-occupied with the kids, teenagers are too busy talking, etc. I have ALWAYS felt safe in Madison.

Hickory Hollow Mall is one place I avoid like crazy. Ever since those shootings I don't even think about going there.
I was personally at Toys R US when someone got robbed in the parking lot. To be fair, though, that was on the day after Thanksgiving. They were warning people in the store, and the manager said it had already happened several other times that morning. A dad got shot outside of Chuck E Cheese last year. A friend of mine was working at a jewelry store in the mall when it got robbed during the day. It isn't fair to say that these things happened to them because they weren't paying attention.

When were the shootings at the Hickory Hollow mall? I remember a gang shooting last year or maybe the year before, but I thought they were at Opry Mills.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:55 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,028,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernStar View Post
The area of Hendersonville that borders Madison is starting to see more crime. There was just an arrest (story was in the Star News) of a Madison man who was breaking into homes in two very upscale neighborhoods in Hendersonville. I personally live in a lovely neighborhood that most people consider very safe. There have been several home invasions and someone tried to break into my house IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY about two weeks ago. A friend in a different part of the neighborhood actually had someone get into her home before her dog scared him off. The grocery store right down the road has been robbed several times, and so has the nearest gas station down the road (owner keeps a gun hidden on the counter) and my bank. All in Hendersonville. With that being said, I go about my business. I go to dance class and my kids soccer games and feel perfectly safe doing that. It just depends on where you go, and when you go. I can go to Wal Mart, restaurants, etc with no problem. I think it is all in your perspective. I lived my entire life without someone trying to break into my house, so of course it worries me. I have children, so I am much less tolerant of even little crimes than I was before I had children. BUT it isn't like I am worried about getting shot or raped. It's mostly just robberies, but that worries me because a gun usually accompanies that. If you are used to this, it might not bother you at all. Some people don't even think about crime at all, and that is fine. Hendersonville has much less crime than many areas of the country. Overall, the postives about Hendersonville far outweigh any of that. It really is a GREAT place to raise kids, as long as you know that bad things do happen in good places and take appropriate precautions to protect you and your family.
Crime is everywhere now, and it will likely continue as times get tougher economically.
Do you live in Mansker Farms? I know that's where the Madison trash was breaking into houses and cars.

Which neighborhood has had home invasions? I haven't seen anything about that in the local paper.

I have lived on the Indian Lake peninsula for over a year and have seen and heard about literally NO crime in my neighborhood. It's a big to-do around here when the high school kids TP a house.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:16 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,740,532 times
Quote:
I was personally at Toys R US when someone got robbed in the parking lot. To be fair, though, that was on the day after Thanksgiving. They were warning people in the store, and the manager said it had already happened several other times that morning. A dad got shot outside of Chuck E Cheese last year. A friend of mine was working at a jewelry store in the mall when it got robbed during the day. It isn't fair to say that these things happened to them because they weren't paying attention.

When were the shootings at the Hickory Hollow mall? I remember a gang shooting last year or maybe the year before, but I thought they were at Opry Mills.
I said I pay attention to what's going on around me. And that it's easy for Mom's & teenagers to get distracted, and be lax as to what's going on around them. There are a lot of scam artists in parking lots everywhere, and some can be very aggressive.

The shooting at Hickory Hollow was right before Opry Mills. I rarely go to Opry Mills because its usually too crowded.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:24 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,740,532 times
Quote:
There's a lot of real estate between Madison "proper" & Hendersonville. Hundreds of people are in the Rivergate area every day, and it's hard to tell where people are from who are in the area. I agree that the economy has a lot to do with it.

Things have changed since we were kids. We could be out all day, playing all over the neighborhood then, but not any more. The times they are a-changing ....

Old 03-27-2008, 12:21 PM

187 posts, read 611,876 times
Quote:
I do understand that there is crime everywhere! I have small children also, so the "little stuff" worries me as well. I do agree, it seems as far as Hendersonville goes, the good outweighs the bad (from what i have heard and read). If you wouldn't mind, I would like you to be more specific as to where the areas you mentioned in your post are in Hend'?
My cousin is a detective in Hend' for the last 9 years so he has told me it has it's "bad stuff" but it is overall a great area. We do have 2 big dogs and my husband is going to be a cop, so maybe that will keep the "bad guys" away I hope!!

Old 03-27-2008, 06:39 PM

7 posts, read 14,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Where are the bad areas in Hendersonville???
I suppose it's the Rockland Park area. Sometimes you see skaters, some of them have piercings, and they skate.

Sometimes you see fishermen. There are fishing docks there. Some of them have tattoos. And they kill fish.

Sometimes you see picnic people. Eating and cooking right out in public.

Sometimes you see archers. Bow and arrow types. There is an archery range right there. Some of them have long hair.

Sometimes you might see boaters. Public launching ramp. Some of these people are half naked.

So you might want to stay away from Rockland Park, and just go to Indian Lake Village instead, where civilization still reigns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville