Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 07:10 PM

3,047 posts, read 3,315,933 times

Advertisements

So David Briley has been sworn in as Acting Mayor and Sheri Weiner from Bellevue sworn in as Vice Mayor.

An election will be held in August to find replacements.

David Briley is grandson of the first Mayor Briley.

Last edited by GWoodle; 03-06-2018 at 07:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 07:11 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
So David Briley has been sworn in as Mayor and a council member sworn in as Vice Mayor.

An election will be held in August to find replacements.

David Briley is grandson of the first Mayor Briley.
Ah, yes..... there's the connection!

Old 03-06-2018, 07:35 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,333,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
It was announced on Channel Five 4:00 PM news that Former Mayor Barry has already repaid the 11K of the taxpayers dollars she was accused of wrongly using.

Let's see if ole whatshisface will be as expedient in his efforts to repay his 45K ---- oh wait ---- he's a he --- no hurry on the repayment --- 45K is a lot more than 11K and with your wife having filed for divorce, you won't have any money to pay back with ---- so might say the Good Ol Boys in his circle-----

It's still a man's world and will stay that way until Armageddon gets here -- "me Too" & "times up" or not-----
The problem isn't the amount of money. In all honesty, $11k and $45k are small potatoes in the city coffers.

The problem is that she abused her office at the taxpayers expense -- and that Forrest took advantage of an overtime pay system with pretty much zero oversight.

She used her security detail like a personal chauffeur -- not for official city business, but for concerts, parties, late-night drinks, sporting events, and yoga.

My main question is how much did she know about the overtime pay that Forrest was getting. My guess, based on her guilty plea, is that she absolutely knew about it, and the TBI investigation would reveal as such.

So you can say "hey, she paid back the $11k she owed the city!" -- I don't buy that. She is equal to blame in my eyes for the overtime pay. And she is costing the city tons of negative attention right now. I'm not saying it will really *hurt* us, but this isn't the kind of national attention you want.

The bottom line is that she was selfish and abused her office for personal gain. It's hard for me to believe that the city of Nashville is her #1 concern when her behavior suggests otherwise. You would think that someone with a business ethics background would, you know......know what is ethical.

Old 03-06-2018, 07:43 PM

182 posts, read 449,247 times
Among the great travesties of justice is now she is basically free and clear. She paid her restitution today from her generous salary paid by taxpayers and her 3 years of probation immediately reverted to UNSUPERVISED probation. Allow me to explain unsupervised..... no curfews, no travel restrictions, no supervision fees (although she is supposed to be monitored for new arrests which is a cost), and so forth. As long as she does not get a new arrest in the next 3 years her record is wiped clean. Even if she is arrested the sentencing Judge can still honor the expungement request. Don't misunderstand I am not opposed to giving her a second chance as a clean record (although elected people should be held more accountable). What was her punishment from the criminal justice system? She paid back money she pled guilty to obtaining so that is not punishment, she was not held any length of time, etc. Joe Q. Public could get a similar deal but 99% are going to have to do at least a portion of time on SUPERVISED probation before being granted the rare privilege of UNSUPERVISED probation and not plead guilty, get sentenced, and basically released all in the same day.

Now for her taxpayer bodyguard he got 3 years diversion as well and is able to have his record expunged. However, he got an even greater exception......he was allowed to keep a weapon to work. Joe Q. Public is never allowed that exception even with diversion. They said he needed his weapon to do work to pay his restitution. Does his work HAVE to involve security? NO. He can get another job and pay his restitution. If Joe Q. Public is convicted of embezzlement they are not allowed to go and get another job dealing in money in order to pay restitution. His "security" job is no different than the above example and you want to allow him to work in a field in which integrity is expected?

Bottom line is it was a sweet deal and one might say preferential in nature but bottom line is she is gone. For all the "stand by her" supporters remember she denied all that she pled guilty to today in court.

Old 03-06-2018, 08:21 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
I don't understand why people are so mad. This isn't a witch hunt. She willingly pled guilty and got a very lenient punishment in return. I'm sorry for the people in Nashville that liked her that this happened (we live in Williamson, so no say). But she chose to have an affair with a surbodinate and based on the plea, used tax payer money for the affair. It was her decision. No reason to be mad at other people.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:24 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I don't understand why people are so mad. This isn't a witch hunt. She willingly pled guilty and got a very lenient punishment in return. I'm sorry for the people in Nashville that liked her that this happened (we live in Williamson, so no say). But she chose to have an affair with a surbodinate and based on the plea, used tax payer money for the affair. It was her decision. No reason to be mad at other people.

I think she shouldn't have Stepped down,,, The other Crooks continue to get the Respect to this day even though new news surfaces daily, haven't stepped down and get a free pass!!! Interesting how this works. These people hold Post much Higher than hers, did the same as her plus worse, done worse Crimes but can get away with it like nothing ever happened, am I missing something here??? I think they need to leave the lady alone, she has paid her due...

Old 03-07-2018, 08:41 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Default Will Mayor Barry's actions change Nashvillle's Booming Image in any way?

Will Mayor Barry's Affair affect Nashville's Booming image in any way? Will it hurt or even in some weird way possible make the City even more Popular... It's funny how some times things that are negative end up bring even more Attention and Popularity of sorts, which is weird but it happens all the time. We know of many other City Mayors that have got caught up in scandals as well, and all effects are different.. It has happened in Atlanta, New Orleans, Detroit, Toronto and D.C, etc. to name a few... What over all effect will this have if any?

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...ion/400405002/

Old 03-07-2018, 09:39 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,547,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
I think she shouldn't have Stepped down,,, The other Crooks continue to get the Respect to this day even though new news surfaces daily, haven't stepped down and get a free pass!!! Interesting how this works. These people hold Post much Higher than hers, did the same as her plus worse, done worse Crimes but can get away with it like nothing ever happened, am I missing something here??? I think they need to leave the lady alone, she has paid her due...
Stepping down was the right thing.. just because others are guilty of wrong doing and keep their jobs doesn't mean she or they should get a free pass.. otherwise are on a fast and slippery downward trajectory.

Old 03-07-2018, 09:39 AM

359 posts, read 320,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Will Mayor Barry's Affair affect Nashville's Booming image in any way? Will it hurt or even in some weird way possible make the City even more Popular... It's funny how some times things that are negative end up bring even more Attention and Popularity of sorts, which is weird but it happens all the time. We know of many other City Mayors that have got caught up in scandals as well, and all effects are different.. It has happened in Atlanta, New Orleans, Detroit, Toronto and D.C, etc. to name a few... What over all effect will this have if any?

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...ion/400405002/

It will probably make you look more edgy to all the hipster, liberal Californians (btw, I am clearly NOT one of them)

Old 03-07-2018, 12:51 PM

35,074 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
Stepping down was the right thing.. just because others are guilty of wrong doing and keep their jobs doesn't mean she or they should get a free pass.. otherwise are on a fast and slippery downward trajectory.
What gets me is that an average person who committed this same crime would probably be looking at least one year and not just probation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville