Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2018, 06:34 PM

4 posts, read 4,309 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

My wife, 4 kids and I were out in Middle TN last month. We stayed in East Nashville for 3 nights, and in Leiper's Fork for 3 nights. Long story short - we fell in love with the area and are considering a move from Gilbert AZ, where we both have lived our entire lives (we are both 38). We are tired of everything being brown, and have some other personal reasons to get some extra space from Arizona.

We've found a house she's flying out to see over the weekend to scope out for us, but something that never occurred to me to inquire about is the internet connections/speeds. I work remotely and all of my work is done online. I don't upload/download stuff with much data, but I do need a reliable internet connection. When I called Comcast & AT&T, it seems like the only option in the area is Satellite internet.

For those of you living in more rural areas, do you currently use AT&T and how reliable is it? How's the speed compared to cable? One option would be to rent a co-working space in Franklin and just commute, but I like working from home and since we are considering a purchase with 5 acres (the house we are looking at has land) - I'd like to be able to count on my internet connection at the house.

Would love feedback with anyone that has experience in the more rural areas.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 07:32 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,518,745 times
A friend that built out there did some sort of fiber internet with her neighbors.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
A friend that built out there did some sort of fiber internet with her neighbors.
Do you know how I'd be able to find out more details around this? I've called multiple providers, and unfortunately there is no DSL or Cable providers to the home we are looking at.

Old 04-20-2018, 04:39 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,518,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse View Post
Do you know how I'd be able to find out more details around this? I've called multiple providers, and unfortunately there is no DSL or Cable providers to the home we are looking at.
I don't but I do know when her neighbor listed their house recently it was highlighted in the listing that they had fiber internet.

We have friends who moved out to Arrington and the satellite internet sucked. They were constantly driving their kids to grandma's house to do homework.

Old 04-20-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
I don't but I do know when her neighbor listed their house recently it was highlighted in the listing that they had fiber internet.

We have friends who moved out to Arrington and the satellite internet sucked. They were constantly driving their kids to grandma's house to do homework.
Thanks. Yes, satellite internet is not something that my job will allow me to rely on. I need to have DSL or Cable, which it appears is not an option in the home we like.

Old 04-20-2018, 02:08 PM

7,894 posts, read 12,597,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorseHorse View Post
Hey Everyone,

My wife, 4 kids and I were out in Middle TN last month. We stayed in East Nashville for 3 nights, and in Leiper's Fork for 3 nights. Long story short - we fell in love with the area and are considering a move from Gilbert AZ, where we both have lived our entire lives (we are both 38). We are tired of everything being brown, and have some other personal reasons to get some extra space from Arizona.

We've found a house she's flying out to see over the weekend to scope out for us, but something that never occurred to me to inquire about is the internet connections/speeds. I work remotely and all of my work is done online. I don't upload/download stuff with much data, but I do need a reliable internet connection. When I called Comcast & AT&T, it seems like the only option in the area is Satellite internet.

For those of you living in more rural areas, do you currently use AT&T and how reliable is it? How's the speed compared to cable? One option would be to rent a co-working space in Franklin and just commute, but I like working from home and since we are considering a purchase with 5 acres (the house we are looking at has land) - I'd like to be able to count on my internet connection at the house.

Would love feedback with anyone that has experience in the more rural areas.

Thanks in advance!
Unlimited Data Hotspot Internet Plans Home, Mobile, Rural Wifi

I live in an area with no options other than satellite or 4g LTE. I have been using a Sprint USB modem for the past few years HOWEVER they are not reliable.

I just ordered a 4G unlimited plan with the company linked above. The service is 99 dollars per month with no contract. The upfront cost is about 250 dollars (including first months service) and there is no contract.

The company runs off of either T-mobile's network or AT&T's. I decided to go with AT&t since there is a tower 3 miles away.

Old 04-23-2018, 07:11 AM

1,683 posts, read 800,182 times
Is the population growing in Wartrace at all? Last time I saw it, the town reminded me of "Mayberry."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: