Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:45 PM

137 posts, read 448,238 times

Advertisements

Hey Y'all! My wife and I may be moving to Nashville at some point. We are going to go check it out this summer to see what we think. I am not very familar with Nashville and was wondering about the job market. For example: if you don't work in the market/area of music or have a music background can you make it? Like I said I am not familar with the area so this may come off as somewhat of a native question, but I am just not sure. Also, if you have a college degree from another university/college from another state aside from the college's in Nashville is it more difficult to find work? Is there an advantage to having a degree in Nashville? Also, my wife is from Asia. Is there somewhat of an Asian community there? Well, my wife and I really want to move further south. We love the south and the people of the south. We love Kentucky, but would love the opportunity to love further south!!! Any help would be appreciated and thank you for taking the time to respond. Y'all care take ya hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 07:03 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
It's tough to make it in the music business here. Too many people wanting to work in the field with too few openings. It's possible, but difficult.

I'm not sure I completely understand your question about degrees from Nashville college vs. other colleges. If you're talking about the music business, having a degree from Belmont probably gives someone a leg up because of the connections. As far as degrees in general, it varies. Having a degree from Vanderbilt will help in many cases, again, because of the connections. But a degree from a reputable college from out-of-state isn't necessarily a drawback; in a few fields and from some colleges it can even be a plus. I work in engineering; a degree from the University of Texas will at least get you an interview with most engineering firms here because of the reputation of their engineering school. If someone has a medical degree from John Hopkins or Harvard they will certainly be looked at favorably.

There is small but noticeable Asian-American population here. There's are quite a few people in the area with Chinese, Japanese and Laotian heritage.

Last edited by alleycat; 03-26-2008 at 07:28 PM..

Old 03-26-2008, 07:35 PM

256 posts, read 888,508 times
if you have a degree say from UK. you should be fine as long as you can prove that you attend and grad from there...and if there is a job opening
What part of KY are you moving from..Me and my husband moved here 3 1/2 years ago...
I am from the mountains of Ky...LOL as far east as you can get...lol

Old 03-26-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
It's tough to make it in the music business here. Too many people wanting to work in the field with too few openings. It's possible, but difficult.

I'm not sure I completely understand your question about degrees from Nashville college vs. other colleges. If you're talking about the music business, having a degree from Belmont probably gives someone a leg up because of the connections. As far as degrees in general, it varies. Having a degree from Vanderbilt will help in many cases, again, because of the connections. But a degree from a reputable college from out-of-state isn't necessarily a drawback; in a few fields and from some colleges it can even be a plus. I work in engineering; a degree from the University of Texas will at least get you an interview with most engineering firms here because of the reputation of their engineering school. If someone has a medical degree from John Hopkins or Harvard they will certainly be looked at favorably.

There is small but noticeable Asian-American population here. There's are quite a few people in the area with Chinese, Japanese and Laotian heritage.
I am sorry. I did not mean to confuse you on the degree question. I just wanted to know whether or not having a degree regardless of what degree from another university/college not located in Nashville was a drawback. You kind of already answered my question so thank you so very much! My degree is in counseling and communications. I have a bachelors degree and I double majored. I don't know whether or not you would know if there a lot of jobs in social work or counseling? We (my wife and I) don't really know anyone. Would we need to in Nashville to get a job? ya think? I must say I am glad to hear that have somewhat of an Asian community! Thank you very much for your help thus far!!! I really appreciate it!

Old 03-26-2008, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bran_smith View Post
if you have a degree say from UK. you should be fine as long as you can prove that you attend and grad from there...and if there is a job opening
What part of KY are you moving from..Me and my husband moved here 3 1/2 years ago...
I am from the mountains of Ky...LOL as far east as you can get...lol
LOL!!! I love eastern, KY it is beautiful there and very mountainous indeed. My wife and I live in Northern Kentucky. We want to move further south. We kind of feel like KY is somewhat midwestern and want to move where it is more southern in culture. If you don't mind me asking, being a former Kentuckian do you find Tennessee to be quite different in terms of culture? I was just wonderin. Thanks so much for your help and your replying!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 08:06 PM

97 posts, read 245,245 times
I grew up in south central KY (Bowling Green area), and in my opinion, culture in Nashville is not that much different from culture in southern KY. Northern KY, however, may be a whole different ball game.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:21 PM

625 posts, read 4,569,989 times
There are PLENTY of people in Nashville who are originally from KY (a lot of healthcare execs are from KY)...I've met quite a few people from KY, so you shouldn't feel like an outsider down here. I'm sure there are some alumni clubs for KY schools here.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:06 AM

Default Northern Kentucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldedixie View Post
I grew up in south central KY (Bowling Green area), and in my opinion, culture in Nashville is not that much different from culture in southern KY. Northern KY, however, may be a whole different ball game.
Northern Kentucky is Southern, but is also Midwestern in some ways as well in terms of culture. We are defiantly much different than our neighbors over in Cincinnati and we are proud of that! We wanted to be in Nashville where the culture is undoubtedly and distinctly southern or that is what we assume anyway. We really love and appreciate the culture of the south. Therefore, we want to fully experience it. I was not aware that southern KY is not much different than the culture of Nashville; that is great to hear! Thank you for your input and your help. I really appreciate it!!!

Old 03-27-2008, 03:52 PM

256 posts, read 888,508 times
I dont think it is, besides in my home town no tornados...LOL
Good luck on moving here...I wish you guys the best

Old 03-27-2008, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottv View Post
There are PLENTY of people in Nashville who are originally from KY (a lot of healthcare execs are from KY)...I've met quite a few people from KY, so you shouldn't feel like an outsider down here. I'm sure there are some alumni clubs for KY schools here.
That is great to hear!!! Didn't realize there were so many former Kentuckians livin' in Nashville. We will fit right in. Can't wait to go there is summer and check everything out. Thanks y'all for your help so far!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville