U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 05:49 PM

36 posts, read 38,997 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Our family is possibly relocating from California to Fairview. I know it's a small town. Would love to know more information. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by JMT; 05-24-2018 at 06:06 PM.. Reason: Please do not reference city-data competitors.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 09:09 PM

49,924 posts, read 55,542,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptiveinCali View Post
Hi,

Our family is possibly relocating from California to Fairview. I know it's a small town. Would love to know more information. Thanks in advance!
Where in Cali do you currently live?

Fairview is a tiny country town that has seen a good bit of growth over the past 20 years but not as much as the Williamson County cities along the I-65 corridor.

Some of the same families have lived in Fairview for generations. It is more rural and small-town in nature than any of the other cities here.

Homes are less expensive there, class sizes are smaller, students tend to score slightly lower on standardized tests than the other WillCo schools, and the median income is lower. Those are the usual "tangibles" that people use for comparison.

However, it is a community with very friendly people and VERY different from most anywhere in California. The schools have energetic and dedicated administration. The city government is trying hard to become more professional in its operations.

It does not (yet) have a cool factor to it, so it could be considered an "up and coming" place to settle. It is a bit off the beaten path, which is why it isn't even more developed, so expect to drive for most any major services, although they do have a Wal-Mart there.

What specific questions do you have?

Old 05-25-2018, 07:23 AM

Thank you for the info. We are from Northern Ca, and probably do not fit the stereotype when you think “California”. We are not big-city people. We come from small towns in the Sierra Nevada Foothills. I’m trying to decide where to settle. Fairview (where the job is), or Spring Hill (bigger area, more amenities). We have children that are elementary and high school ages. So, I would like to be somewhere that allows for them to have opportunities with sports/recreation/social activities. What grocery stores are there in Fairview? Restaurants? Is Walmart the only big box store? Any plans for a Target? You said we will need to drive for shopping. How far is the nearest Costco? Baseball complex? Cinema? That sort of stuff? Thank you for answering these questions!

Old 05-25-2018, 08:51 AM

3,760 posts, read 6,687,431 times
Google Maps will show you all those distances.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:29 AM

Eh. Google Maps is no fun. Would have looked there if I didn’t want a human perspective. That’s why I chose a forum, rather than a map. I can get distances on Google Maps, but not opinions and real people.

Old 05-25-2018, 01:33 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,226,381 times
Quote:
Thank you for the info. We are from Northern Ca, and probably do not fit the stereotype when you think “California”. We are not big-city people. We come from small towns in the Sierra Nevada Foothills. I’m trying to decide where to settle. Fairview (where the job is), or Spring Hill (bigger area, more amenities). We have children that are elementary and high school ages. So, I would like to be somewhere that allows for them to have opportunities with sports/recreation/social activities. What grocery stores are there in Fairview? Restaurants? Is Walmart the only big box store? Any plans for a Target? You said we will need to drive for shopping. How far is the nearest Costco? Baseball complex? Cinema? That sort of stuff? Thank you for answering these questions!
If I had to chose between Spring Hill and Fairview, Fairview wins hands down. It is a hidden gem. The schools out there are very good and it is a relatively easy commute into Nashville if you ever need that. Few exits down I-40 (Nashville West) has everything you need without the Cool Springs traffic.

Old 05-25-2018, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Eh. Google Maps is no fun. Would have looked there if I didn’t want a human perspective. That’s why I chose a forum, rather than a map. I can get distances on Google Maps, but not opinions and real people.
It's 25 miles from central Fairview to the Costco in Brentwood, via back roads, and about the same distance to the one in west Nashville via interstate (FYI no one here calls it the freeway except ex-Californians).

No current plans for a Target. 28 miles to the Target in west Nashville.

25 miles to the movie theater in Cool Springs via back roads.

There is no real baseball complex, but there are fields scattered all over the area. It just depends on which league you're in.

Traffic is a consideration. Time of day matters a LOT when you're trying to drive around here.

Restaurants? There's a Dunkin Donuts, a Mexican restaurant and a couple of independent local places. You would end up driving to Cool Springs, Bellevue or Nashville to dine out or for the high schooler(s) to meet friends, often on two-lane roads.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:38 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,226,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It's 25 miles from central Fairview to the Costco in Brentwood, via back roads, and about the same distance to the one in west Nashville via interstate (FYI no one here calls it the freeway except ex-Californians).

No current plans for a Target. 28 miles to the Target in west Nashville.

25 miles to the movie theater in Cool Springs via back roads.

There is no real baseball complex, but there are fields scattered all over the area. It just depends on which league you're in.

Traffic is a consideration. Time of day matters a LOT when you're trying to drive around here.

Restaurants? There's a Dunkin Donuts, a Mexican restaurant and a couple of independent local places. You would end up driving to Cool Springs, Bellevue or Nashville to dine out or for the high schooler(s) to meet friends, often on two-lane roads.
It would be a lot faster to go to Nashville West (Costco, Target, Dicks, Old Navy, Lowes, etc) than try to drive surface roads to Cool Springs (IMHO). Also there is shopping a few miles closer to Fairview in Bellevue (Home Depot, Michaels, Publix etc). If the Mack Hatcher ever gets completed it might be faster some day to get to Cool Springs.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:42 PM

4,184 posts, read 4,253,821 times
Quote:
in Bellevue (Home Depot, Michaels, Publix etc).
Lots of new stuff here since they tore down the old mall. Sprouts, Ulta Beauty, The Pub (related to the one in the Gulch), a coffee shop, etc.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
It would be a lot faster to go to Nashville West (Costco, Target, Dicks, Old Navy, Lowes, etc) than try to drive surface roads to Cool Springs (IMHO).
Definitely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville