Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 01:59 PM

84 posts, read 208,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
East Nashville reminds me of Bishop Arts/Winnetka Heights area of Oak Cliff.

I'd also consider Melrose area (up and coming near restaurants and lots of development) and Green Hills (if you don't want to be right downtown)--more like Park Cities but not as much $$$.
This is exactly what I was hoping to see, someone who could compare the neighborhoods to each other.

What would Uptown Dallas compare most to? Gulch and SoBro?

What would West End and Midtown in Nashville compare to in Dallas if you had to try to guess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 03:26 PM

93 posts, read 74,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCIV View Post
I have not. That's why I deleted my previous post because I might be misinterpreting the areas mentioned. I'm visiting for July 4th weekend so I wanted to lay some ground work so I could lock up a place while I''m in town.

You need to come to the Hot Chicken Festival July 4th in East Park in East Nashville.

Old 06-20-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCIV View Post
This is exactly what I was hoping to see, someone who could compare the neighborhoods to each other.

What would Uptown Dallas compare most to? Gulch and SoBro?

What would West End and Midtown in Nashville compare to in Dallas if you had to try to guess?
You will have to ask someone who has lived in both places. I have no idea, but coming from Dallas, you are taking a large step down moving here.

Yes, Nashville is a lovely and livable place, but Dallas is so far advanced than Nashville is with development, public transit, culture, museums, Universities etc. I am predicting you may actually be bored here.

Nashville is a great move up from the tier 2 and tier 3 cities, but if you are moving here from a tier 1 city like L.A, NYC, Atlanta, Chicago, San Fran., Dallas, Houston, Seattle, Portland, Philadelphia, DC, Austin, San Antonio, etc... you will be sadly disappointed.

I welcome you as with any newcomer, but if I could afford Dallas, or any tier 1 city, I would move in a minute.

Old 06-20-2018, 06:43 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,726 times
West End is probably the closest to UpTown but still a different vibe because Vandy is so close by.

West End might be a good option for you. I know a few younger girls from the gym that live over there

There is a lot also happening in the "north gulch" area where HCA moved its headquarters and and Charlotte Ave is transitioning with the One City development (I would live out on Charlotte passed about 45th Avenue.

Old 06-20-2018, 11:58 PM

2,426 posts, read 2,476,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 505ChurchStreet View Post
You will have to ask someone who has lived in both places. I have no idea, but coming from Dallas, you are taking a large step down moving here.

Yes, Nashville is a lovely and livable place, but Dallas is so far advanced than Nashville is with development, public transit, culture, museums, Universities etc. I am predicting you may actually be bored here.

Nashville is a great move up from the tier 2 and tier 3 cities, but if you are moving here from a tier 1 city like L.A, NYC, Atlanta, Chicago, San Fran., Dallas, Houston, Seattle, Portland, Philadelphia, DC, Austin, San Antonio, etc... you will be sadly disappointed.

I welcome you as with any newcomer, but if I could afford Dallas, or any tier 1 city, I would move in a minute.
Your tiers are way off here,, Atlanta or Dallas is no way in the same Tier as a NYC, Chicago, or LA and neither are they tier 1.. Many of these cities named are not in the same Tiers.. To be honest I can't agree with you on this one. I live in Atlanta and have lived in the Philly metro, visit many others and come to Nashville often and enjoy the city just the same and in some ways more.. All these cities are unique in there own way and have different things to offer depending upon what you like

Old 06-21-2018, 04:20 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
Quote:

If you are looking for that I recommend Center City, Philly. There is too much to do there. Seriously. However, I want to live in a place with opportunities in my field and great real estate options. It is really that simple. I prefer the burbs to Nashville.

I have been checking out meet up and I am impressed.

I am from what you call a first tier city. Salaries do not match cost of living.

Last edited by goodlife36; 06-21-2018 at 04:32 AM..

Old 06-21-2018, 05:34 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,545,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
West End is probably the closest to UpTown but still a different vibe because Vandy is so close by.

West End might be a good option for you. I know a few younger girls from the gym that live over there

There is a lot also happening in the "north gulch" area where HCA moved its headquarters and and Charlotte Ave is transitioning with the One City development (I would live out on Charlotte passed about 45th Avenue.
oops typo. I wouldn't live out on charlotte past about 45th Ave

Old 06-21-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Your tiers are way off here,, Atlanta or Dallas is no way in the same Tier as a NYC, Chicago, or LA and neither are they tier 1.. Many of these cities named are not in the same Tiers.. To be honest I can't agree with you on this one. I live in Atlanta and have lived in the Philly metro, visit many others and come to Nashville often and enjoy the city just the same and in some ways more.. All these cities are unique in there own way and have different things to offer depending upon what you like

I have not researched the Tiers in quite sometime, but it used to be based on population:

Tier 1 2 million and up
Tier 2 500,000 to 2,000,000
Tier 3 100,000 to 500,000

Again, I have not looked that up in 20 years. After doing some looking on the internet at various sources, no-one can seem to agree on any of it.

So I have no idea where Nashville ranks now. In any case, Nashville is not in the same league as what I listed, but you are correct. Nashville has a lot of things others don't.

I do know Nashville does have a brand name like NYC, New Orleans, Seattle etc.. Nashville is a destination city and not a pass through or fly over city.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:28 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,481,772 times
Quote:
I have not researched the Tiers in quite sometime, but it used to be based on population:

Tier 1 2 million and up
Tier 2 500,000 to 2,000,000
Tier 3 100,000 to 500,000

Again, I have not looked that up in 20 years. After doing some looking on the internet at various sources, no-one can seem to agree on any of it.

So I have no idea where Nashville ranks now. In any case, Nashville is not in the same league as what I listed, but you are correct. Nashville has a lot of things others don't.

I do know Nashville does have a brand name like NYC, New Orleans, Seattle etc.. Nashville is a destination city and not a pass through or fly over city.
I really liked the last sentence. It sums things up quite nicely.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:37 AM

84 posts, read 208,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
I really liked the last sentence. It sums things up quite nicely.
So true!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville