Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 06:39 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,718,375 times

Advertisements

As a single guy, you will like Nashville way better than Austin. Assuming hetero.

Nashville: women >> men
Austin: men >> women

Old 07-14-2018, 12:38 PM

112 posts, read 136,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
My spreadsheet for moving runs over too. Im an engineer and everything is a number to me.
Same here, I'm a software guy, and it's the only way I can keep track of everything. I've been playing around with weighting factors based on my needs/interests.

Most are objective metrics, but recently added some personal 'feel' metrics as well. Neighborhood feel is my interpretation of the type of close-knit Chicago-like neighborhood I'd like to find. Most cities have them somewhere, but some not at all.

Since I'm renting, property tax doesn't weigh in directly (although I know it affects rental rates), but I do have an overall 'savings' metric based on tax savings over CA, expected rent savings (from manual Zillow research) and factors in grocery/utility cost indices scaled based on my average spend in LA.

Removing towns < 200K population, my top 5 with my current weighting is:
Austin TX
Nashville TN
Dallas TX
San Antonio TX
Richmond VA

If I decide to avoid TX cities, my top 5 is:
Nashville TN
Richmond VA
Chicago IL
Pittsburgh PA
Seattle WA

Not sure if this is interesting to others, but here's my list of metrics.

Nashville gets dinged a bit by crime, dreariness/weather, liberal/conservative (I lean more blue state). Also, I don't represent it here, but the rental inventory is pretty low in Nashville (esp on East End) compared to other cities - that makes it tougher to move quickly and not over-spend just cause there's nothing else available.

Weighting Factors
Monthly Savings
Dreariness
Weather
Traffic
Population
Liberal/Conservative
Neighborhood Feel
Violent Crime
Property Crime
Walk Score
Transit Score
Hipster Index
Software Jobs Score
Fun Score
Metro Music Index
Housing Risk Index
Flight Time

Old 07-14-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
As a single guy, you will like Nashville way better than Austin. Assuming hetero.

Nashville: women >> men
Austin: men >> women
Ah interesting, I had read somewhere that the ratio flips, the farther east in US you go. (And yeah, hetero)

Happily single/divorced now, but it's likely at some point in the future this will matter again

Old 07-14-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Nashville gets dinged a bit by crime, dreariness/weather, liberal/conservative (I lean more blue state).
The dreariness is definitely a thing, especially coming from SoCal. It bugs me badly in the winter and I moved here from SF!
And within the urban core, you'll be in a bright blue community.

That said, if I could talk my work into it, I'd be out of here to Austin tomorrow. Me - hetero female. I would miss the Preds, but I'd be riding my bike so much more.

Old 07-14-2018, 01:02 PM

Quote:
The dreariness is definitely a thing, especially coming from SoCal.
After spending ~20yr in Seattle, it's something that I worry about a bit. The grey drags me down, and was a major reason for moving to LA. Seattle did have gorgeous summers, if you make it out alive until April.

What pulls you to Austin from Nashville?

Old 07-14-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpukka View Post
After spending ~20yr in Seattle, it's something that I worry about a bit. The grey drags me down, and was a major reason for moving to LA. Seattle did have gorgeous summers, if you make it out alive until April.

What pulls you to Austin from Nashville?
More fitness oriented. Less of a Southern mentality. Better weather (I love heat). More Californians (I truly miss California, north and south). Tacos.

Old 07-14-2018, 05:08 PM

Quote:
More fitness oriented. Less of a Southern mentality. Better weather (I love heat). More Californians (I truly miss California, north and south). Tacos.
Yeah it sounds like Nashville is a more Southern feel than Austin. Seems a bit more conservative and religion-driven (neither of which are appealing to me). I don't mind the quaintness of Southern culture, but just don't want red-state values in my face.

Austin tacos were definitely a plus At least I've been able to get Topo Chico now in LA.

I found Austin a little boring, to be honest, even though it had a great music scene. It's a more Millennial-focused culture. I'm a "young 49" but still, it was more tilted towards folks earlier in their careers/lives. Since I like city culture more than outdoorsy stuff, I felt like I'd tapped out the city after only a year.

Not sure if Nashville would be similar?

Old 07-14-2018, 08:33 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadpukka View Post
Yeah it sounds like Nashville is a more Southern feel than Austin. Seems a bit more conservative and religion-driven (neither of which are appealing to me). I don't mind the quaintness of Southern culture, but just don't want red-state values in my face.

Austin tacos were definitely a plus At least I've been able to get Topo Chico now in LA.

I found Austin a little boring, to be honest, even though it had a great music scene. It's a more Millennial-focused culture. I'm a "young 49" but still, it was more tilted towards folks earlier in their careers/lives. Since I like city culture more than outdoorsy stuff, I felt like I'd tapped out the city after only a year.

Not sure if Nashville would be similar?
If you were bored in Austin, there is a good chance you will feel the same in Nashville. I would schedule a weekend trip before making the move.

Old 07-14-2018, 08:53 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,650 times
What does having a Football and Hockey team have to do with UT? If we are talking sporting events, one must keep in mind the Spurs are down the road and the U.S. F1 Grand Prix is held annually in Austin. Also, unlike Nashville, being in Austin gives one the change to visit Dallas 3 hours to the north or Houston 2 1/2 to the Southeast for sporting events. Austin has a MLB affiliate Baseball team and possibly may have an MLS team relocate there next year. I've been to both Nashville and Austin. Nashville has an excellent Country music scene but its not as diverse as that in Austin. Austin has the two largest music festivals in the Sunbelt - SXSW and Austin City Limits Music fests. Plus the U.S. Grand Prix includes associated entertainment. Dining, It may be a toss-up. Affordability, give that to Nashville. Austin 15-20 years ago was actually smaller than Nashville but the Texas capital blew but TN capital in the 1990s and has not looked back.

Nashville Austin
1940 167,402
1950 174,307
1960 170,874
1970 448,003
1980 477,811 345,890
1990 510,784 465,622
2000 569,891 656,562
2010 626,681 790,390
Est.2017 691,243 950,715

Last edited by walker1962; 07-14-2018 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: formatting as is made reading more difficult

Old 07-14-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
If you were bored in Austin, there is a good chance you will feel the same in Nashville. I would schedule a weekend trip before making the move.
Interesting, yeah. My plan is to start doing some city trips in a month or so. Trying to winnow down to a top 3. Austin and Chicago, I'm already familiar with.

I'd like to check out these to compare:

Nashville
Richmond VA
Tampa
Dallas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville