Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2018, 10:07 AM

43 posts, read 46,669 times

Advertisements

My family is planning on moving to Nashville next year. I've been reading about ticks in the area Can you tell me:

When is tick season?
Do you need to be in the country to be bitten by ticks?
Do they fall out of trees or something? Why to they tell you to check out your bra straps, belly buttons, armpits?

I'll be living in a high rise apt complex and won't be gardening ir hiking. What's my chance of being bitten by a tick?

Southern Californians have plenty of problems but "critters" aren't one of them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 10:31 AM

4 posts, read 4,363 times
You don't need to worry. Bottom line: just avoid tall grass and overgrown vegetation.

Ticks are usually found in the scrub, grass, weeds and around trees. If you aren't walking in high grassy areas or through woods on trails, there's not much too worry about. Walking in the grass isn't normally a risk for ticks unless it's not mowed regularly...although you may experience chigger bites. I was my feet off if I'm wearing flip flops after walking in grass.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:35 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,472,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcletzgo View Post
When is tick season?
Depends on when the last freeze is, but I don't think I've ever heard of ticks before May. Likewise later in the fall they are not a concern. Peak times would be mid-late summer.

Quote:
Do you need to be in the country to be bitten by ticks?
No, but you do have to be where they are present. In other words, you could potentially pick one up in a backyard garden in the city, or off of one that hitchhiked on a pet.

Quote:
Do they fall out of trees or something? Why to they tell you to check out your bra straps, belly buttons, armpits?
They are ground-dwellers. They like thick vegetation and moisture. You'll find them around creeks or in wooded areas around the undergrowth. Once they are on you, they like to find dark, sweaty spots which is why they are commonly found in those areas (and along the underwear line )

Quote:
I'll be living in a high rise apt complex and won't be gardening ir hiking. What's my chance of being bitten by a tick?
I don't have exact odds, but I would guess that you're far more likely to be hit by a car walking out of your apartment than being bitten by a tick if you're not hiking, gardening, or anywhere near their habitat OR if you don't have pets.

Hope this makes you feel better...I've lived here 40 years. I've explored creek beds as a kid, hiked many dozens of times, camped in the backyard, had dogs who've had ticks, mowed the yard hundreds of times, cut down brush...you get the point. I have only had one tick on me. My 11 year old daughter picked two up (at the same time) after spending some time along our backyard creekbed in tall weeds. Mostly, it's all about common sense...if you're going to be in the woods, spray some repellant on and you're good to go.

Not to freak you out further, but I would take a tick over chiggers anytime. They are tiny insects you can't see that cause itchy reactions to and are hard to get rid of. Again, they thrive in the same areas ticks do and repellant will make sure they don't get on you.

Last edited by DonCorleone; 07-12-2018 at 11:40 AM..

Old 07-13-2018, 01:07 PM

Thank you so much! I'm relieved!

Old 07-18-2018, 02:29 PM

93 posts, read 74,442 times
When we have the heat we do preceded by a milder winter, their population is greater. However, and I am not an entomologist, but the dangerous ticks you are referring that carry Lyme disease referred to here: https://www.lymedisease.org/lyme-bas...s/about-ticks/

The ticks to which you refer are located in the map in the middle of the page on this site. No where near Nashville:
https://www.sciencenews.org/blog/gro...d-lyme-disease

Old 07-19-2018, 11:16 AM

Thank you so much, you've all been very helpful

Old 07-20-2018, 10:57 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,917,641 times
You will be fine on the city sidewalks

For the learning record, because I live on a farm, lol:

1. Ticks do NOT die off when the weather turns cold --- they burrow into the dirt and go deeper as it gets colder.

2. Ticks do indeed hang out in certain types of trees -- cedar is prime with pine right behind cedar.

3. Ticks don't like everyone -- unless of course one happens upon an undisturbed, large population.

My husband can be bushogging under the trees in the pasture (the farm tractor has a roof) and without fail, he will come in with a tick or two in d***dest of places. I marvel that a tick managed to get thru all his clothes to that place, lol

I might find a tick on myself once a year, lol

4. It's the same ^^^^ with my horses that are all the same color. There must be something about the body of some that attracts ticks to them more than others.

5. On the off-chance you do go hiking --- don't have a panic attack, use common sense in how you dress, and,check yourself thoroughly as soon as you get back from hiking.

Deep Woods OFF! is a great tick repellent to spray on clothes and yourself.

If you do find a tick on yourself and aren't able to pull it straight off and quickly, smother it in any kind of ointment or cream,mwhich will kill it and you will be able to get it off easily. Getting a tick off yourself immediately is the better option if you have someone to help you

6. Tennessee has Deer ticks which carry Lyme disease and also Lone Star ticks which carry Rocky Mountain Spotted fever.

Lyme Disease can be transmitted to dogs and livestock, so it's important to check your dog twice daily, if you have one, anytime you let it play in a dog park. Your dog's veterinarian will also be an excellent source of information.

The only thing that works to kill ticks on my dogs is Advantix II but they have to bit the dog first

We also spread Sevin Dust on their back yard area. DH runs them every evening in the pastures, where the grass is taller. Sometimes the red-skinned dog will have a couple ticks on him, sometimes not. The white dog with dark skin rarely picks up a tick.

Regardless of whether or not you ever set foot in a grassy area --- you still need to be educated, since you asked the question

Welcome to TN when you do get here. There is much to see and do, to fill every type of interest

Old 07-23-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normashirley View Post
You will be fine on the city sidewalks

For the learning record, because I live on a farm, lol:

1. Ticks do NOT die off when the weather turns cold --- they burrow into the dirt and go deeper as it gets colder.

2. Ticks do indeed hang out in certain types of trees -- cedar is prime with pine right behind cedar.

3. Ticks don't like everyone -- unless of course one happens upon an undisturbed, large population.

My husband can be bushogging under the trees in the pasture (the farm tractor has a roof) and without fail, he will come in with a tick or two in d***dest of places. I marvel that a tick managed to get thru all his clothes to that place, lol

I might find a tick on myself once a year, lol

4. It's the same ^^^^ with my horses that are all the same color. There must be something about the body of some that attracts ticks to them more than others.

5. On the off-chance you do go hiking --- don't have a panic attack, use common sense in how you dress, and,check yourself thoroughly as soon as you get back from hiking.

Deep Woods OFF! is a great tick repellent to spray on clothes and yourself.

If you do find a tick on yourself and aren't able to pull it straight off and quickly, smother it in any kind of ointment or cream,mwhich will kill it and you will be able to get it off easily. Getting a tick off yourself immediately is the better option if you have someone to help you

6. Tennessee has Deer ticks which carry Lyme disease and also Lone Star ticks which carry Rocky Mountain Spotted fever.

Lyme Disease can be transmitted to dogs and livestock, so it's important to check your dog twice daily, if you have one, anytime you let it play in a dog park. Your dog's veterinarian will also be an excellent source of information.

The only thing that works to kill ticks on my dogs is Advantix II but they have to bit the dog first

We also spread Sevin Dust on their back yard area. DH runs them every evening in the pastures, where the grass is taller. Sometimes the red-skinned dog will have a couple ticks on him, sometimes not. The white dog with dark skin rarely picks up a tick.

Regardless of whether or not you ever set foot in a grassy area --- you still need to be educated, since you asked the question

Welcome to TN when you do get here. There is much to see and do, to fill every type of interest
Thank you so much😁 I can't WAIT to move to Nashville😍
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville