Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2022, 02:24 AM

3,452 posts, read 3,376,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I totally agree with you. I think the team comes sooner than 2030--but definitely by 2030.

I think Nashville gets either/or: a relocated team or an expansion team. Once they get the billionaire in place (which seems to be progressing) and the stadium construction underway, I think the MLB will give them a team upon expansion or another team will be wooed. Either the Orioles or the Rays.
I was reading some rumors about the Orioles supposedly considering a move to Nashville, but to me I'm skeptical they'd pull the trigger on moving to Nashville. Thought they got enough attendance in Baltimore, that they'd try to stay? Wouldn't be surprised if the Rays pulled that trigger and moved, considered they've long struggled with attendance at the Trop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2022, 07:00 AM

1,398 posts, read 2,509,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
I was reading some rumors about the Orioles supposedly considering a move to Nashville, but to me I'm skeptical they'd pull the trigger on moving to Nashville. Thought they got enough attendance in Baltimore, that they'd try to stay? Wouldn't be surprised if the Rays pulled that trigger and moved, considered they've long struggled with attendance at the Trop.
It's a family feud over (surprise!) their expected inheritance. The elder son of Peter Angelos (John) lives in Nashville and has maintained control of the team ever since his father was declared incompetent to manage his business affairs; however his brother Lou has sued both the brother and mother. Part of the lawsuit claims the older brother intends to move the team to Nashville. This is considered a ploy (a lie) by all involved to win public opinion in Baltimore to favor Lou. Now the mother has countersued Lou to block the sale of Peter's law firm to (yes) Lou. No way to predict how this all plays out, but one thing is very likely: the Angelos empire will be broken up in some fashion, and that will likely affect the baseball team and ultimately influence whether or not it says in Baltimore.

Don't overlook the existence of the ownership group of Nashville business people for a new team (the Stars). They're trying to be the first minority-owned MLB team, and they may be influential in what happens to the Orioles as a result of settling of the Angelos' lawsuits. Of course, that could mean that any prospective ownership group from anywhere could step in and buy the team.

Old 03-30-2023, 09:24 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeHoyal View Post
When all three already have MLB teams. In the same league. Two in the same division.

And Nashville is right in the middle. There will be no MLB here in our lifetime unless a city like Cincinnati loses the team and it moves. Otherwise, Nashville will not get an expansion team.

Book mark this post if you like.
Cincinnati is closer to Cleveland (250 miles) than it is to Nashville (272 miles), and Cleveland and Cincinnati are in the same state. Tennessee doesn't have one major league baseball team, yet the population of Tennessee is greater than Missouri which has two major league teams.

In 2023, the largest city in Ohio is neither Cleveland or Cincinnati, but the state capital of Columbus. Cleveland is the third-largest metropolitan area in Ohio and its population is declining.

Since the MLB team in Cleveland has gone "woke" and has discarded its venerable Indians name, I would recommend that the team in Cleveland should move out of Ohio. When a team moves to a new location, it sometimes keeps it name (i.e. Brooklyn Dodgers -> Los Angeles Dodgers), but other times it takes a new name (i.e. Montreal Expos -> Washington Nationals). Thus, Cleveland's team should move to a new city, and the MLB should consolidate its major league team in Columbus.

Since the population of the Nashville metro area is now greater than the Cleveland metro area, perhaps Nashville should consider encouraging the Cleveland team to move to Nashville.

Old 05-05-2023, 08:11 AM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
A few days ago, the Bleacher Report listed the top 7 cities with the strongest argument and best case for an MLB expansion team.

Rankings below, with Nashville as the #1 choice:

7 Mexico City, Mexico
6 Vancouver, Canada
5 Salt Lake City, UT
4 Portland, OR
3 Montreal, Canada
2 Charlotte, NC
1 Nashville, TN

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-to-vegas-move

Old 08-23-2023, 08:21 AM

Now the Chicago White Sox are throwing Nashville out there as a possible relocation city--

https://www.thetelegraph.com/news/ar...-18309807.php#

Many MLB teams are using relocation options to get new stadiums built, potentially. Add in the Brewers, the Orioles, the Rays, and now the White Sox. With the Athletics already moving to Vegas.

Nashville remains one of the very top options in MLB circles, it seems.

Old 08-23-2023, 02:24 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
Cincinnati is closer to Cleveland (250 miles) than it is to Nashville (272 miles), and Cleveland and Cincinnati are in the same state. Tennessee doesn't have one major league baseball team, yet the population of Tennessee is greater than Missouri which has two major league teams.

In 2023, the largest city in Ohio is neither Cleveland or Cincinnati, but the state capital of Columbus. Cleveland is the third-largest metropolitan area in Ohio and its population is declining.

Since the MLB team in Cleveland has gone "woke" and has discarded its venerable Indians name, I would recommend that the team in Cleveland should move out of Ohio. When a team moves to a new location, it sometimes keeps it name (i.e. Brooklyn Dodgers -> Los Angeles Dodgers), but other times it takes a new name (i.e. Montreal Expos -> Washington Nationals). Thus, Cleveland's team should move to a new city, and the MLB should consolidate its major league team in Columbus.

Since the population of the Nashville metro area is now greater than the Cleveland metro area, perhaps Nashville should consider encouraging the Cleveland team to move to Nashville.
The problem is Nashville is kind of in the middle of Cincinnati, Atlanta, and St. Louis. That's a lot of super-regional teams without a huge population base in that area.

Old 08-23-2023, 11:06 PM

9,682 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The problem is Nashville is kind of in the middle of Cincinnati, Atlanta, and St. Louis. That's a lot of super-regional teams without a huge population base in that area.
I don't see any fans here of those teams.

Old 08-24-2023, 04:10 PM

194 posts, read 190,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Cleveland's CSA has about 1.5 million more people than Nashville's CSA. It's a much bigger market and definitely has a bigger sports culture than Nashville.

Old 08-25-2023, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Right. Nashville is a hodge-podge mix of baseball fans, in general. A handful of some Braves, some Dodgers, some Cardinals, Reds, etc. But the region is ready for a major league team of their own.

It's a perfect geographical location for a new team. It would draw from the Nashville metro area, southern Kentucky and the whole state of Tennessee.

Major League Baseball has said Nashville is in their top 2 or 3 markets for an expansion or relocation team. Major Leage Baseball players recently voted Nashville as the #1 expansion/relocation market in the country that they want to see a team in.

So, the pros know that Nashville can have a successful MLB team. I think it's just a matter of time as to when Nashville lands a team, not if they land a team.

Old 08-31-2023, 11:41 AM

Ranking 6 teams that could be relocating to Nashville for MLB:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...lle-relocation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville