U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-06-2008, 09:18 PM

8,892 posts, read 7,094,757 times

Advertisements

I agree, there is certainly no shortage of interesting history here.

I once worked in Nashville and every day longed for a commuter train of some sort. You can take a bus but it takes quite a while because of all the stops along Murfreesboro Road.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
You mean you get heckled from people driving by for riding a bicycle? As well as bicycles, we also use Segways for short distance commuting. I wonder what they'd say about that.
Yes, heckled for riding a bicycle. It would be one thing if I were heckled while riding like an idiot, but it often happens when I'm riding on the shoulder or the bike lane. When I get yelled at or have things thrown at me, I assume it's teenagers just acting like typical teenagers. What's really frustrating is when I'm minding my own business in the bike lane and the mom in the minivan lays on the horn as she passes with her children in the backseat, apparently teaching her kids at an early age to hate others for whatever reason. That's truly disheartening.

Old 07-07-2008, 08:38 AM

957 posts, read 2,355,275 times
I would have guessed that a large area like that with a younger population base would be more progressive toward alternative transportation. Every person that walks, rides a bike, a scooter, a segway, a skateboard, etc. is one less car congesting the streets. I guess they would rather be stuck in traffic than be forced to watch someone getting around town free and getting exercise at the same time.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:36 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,791,170 times
That's just southern living. Southern cities are known for poor public transportation and not accommodating pedestrians.

Hell, look at somewhere like Harding Place in Antioch. A busy, fairly dense area with residents in the lower rungs of the socioeconomic scale; yet, not a sidewalk to be found.

There are a few streets in Murfreesboro (Bradyville Pk and E. Clark come to mind) that I just can't believe there aren't sidewalks. I guess maybe we're heading in the right direction though.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:25 PM

2,869 posts, read 6,117,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I went to CUSTOMS last year with my son and it was great. I am sorry that Dr Glenn is leaving MTSU because he was the backbone of the event. Make sure to take a small umbrella as the campus is prone to quick rain showers. Have fun!
I also went to Customs last year with my daughter. It was 100 degrees out, thankfully its cooler this year. She is a Sophomore this year, 32 credits completed.

Teacher to be-Don't get upset if you don't get all the classes you want, on the drop date last year my daughter picked up what others either dropped or lost.
Diane G

Old 08-04-2008, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,731 times
We just moved to Murfreesboro from Sacramento, California and we are really happy here so far. The only thing we are having trouble dealing with is the BUGS!!!! Can anyone tell me what is making that constant rattling sound outside??? I think my biggest problem with all the bugs out here is not knowing what kind they are!! There are things flying around that I am not sure if I should be scared of or not!!!! I am not a bug person AT ALL... is there any advice anyone can give me to make the bug situation more bearable.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:21 PM

156 posts, read 298,057 times
Welcome to Murfreesboro!!!

The bugs I tend to have issue with in our apartment is waterbugs. They are small bugs that tend to turn upside down when they enter our apartment - they mean no harm.

I've seen dragonflies - those are harmless. Haven't encountered any biting bugs yet actually, been lucky there!!

The ones making noises are cicadas I believe. Again, harmless - just annoying.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:49 PM

286 posts, read 817,359 times
I'm in Jacksonville, FL now, but am a proud MTSU graduate (grad school) and loved the 'Boro. There are plenty of places to live, and if you want to live in the country, it's not too far away. Plus, Nashville is close. I lived close to MTSU off of Ewing Street, and also lived on a friend's farm in Gassaway (Woodbury area), which was a 45 minute commute. Give the Student Services office a call at MTSU, they have an enormous amount of resources. Murfreesboro is very safe. I've lived in DC and Miami and the 'Boro pales in comparison. It's really pretty in the fall, too and there's lots of hiking, biking, canoeing, etc. Plus, TN State Parks are great and inexpensive. Best of luck!!

Old 09-04-2009, 04:23 PM

3 posts, read 2,622 times
How is the job situation in Murfreesboro? Is it mostly high tech type? What about service jobs? Also, how are the schools? Are there a lot of places to shop? What stores are there? Sorry about the dumb questions.

Last edited by LDK1; 09-04-2009 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 09-04-2009, 04:46 PM

Last I heard the unemployment rate here was over 12%, but that was several months ago and I don't know if it's improved since then. To be honest, I've always had trouble finding jobs in Murfreesboro, which is why I worked in Woodbury and Nashville for several years. I have a job here now, but it took years for me to find it.

There are tons of places to shop here. In fact, Murfreesboro has more places to shop and eat than just about anywhere else I've been (for its size).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville