Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 09:38 PM

34 posts, read 77,860 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Franklin. 2 of the properties we like are in low density areas which offer Comcast and AT&T DSL but not AT&T,s U-Verse.One in a more densely populated area does get U-Verse. Of course we could also get something like HughesNet at all of them.
Coming from a farm to which Verizon buried 2 FIOS cables up our 1/3 mile drive for FREE has spoiled me. Not even the U-Verse compares to Verizon FIOS, at least on paper.
I was hoping to do Skype with video with an overseas daughter, and video consulting with some out of state clients, and maybe stream some obscure horse competitive events that are available on the internet, and maybe some netflix on demand. So I think I need stable high speed. Haven't had a t.v. for many years, so don't know if I should be exploring that instead? Do I actually have to get U-Verse or is the DSL or Comcast sufficient for what I want to do?
What is the fastest and best system out there available in Franklin? Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 10:04 PM

3,963 posts, read 10,630,018 times
We left Comcast for U-Verse, and have had nothing but problems. If I could change back without changing my email again, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Comcast was faster, more reliable, and had better business support. AT&T stinks!

Old 09-18-2009, 10:07 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,624,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
We left Comcast for U-Verse, and have had nothing but problems. If I could change back without changing my email again, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Comcast was faster, more reliable, and had better business support. AT&T stinks!
WOW! That's a real eye-opener. I guess I shouldn't complain about Comcast's occasional hiccups and outtages.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:33 AM

Thanks,akm4. Were your problems service or product related? Do you find you can do streaming video on Comcast? I like to use Skype and to do video chat with family and for work.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:33 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,630,018 times
Product or service related? Both.

The original work order and stated pricing has never been honored. The rebates we were promised were never rec'd. Our rates are higher than stated, and the service is slower than promised. I had a much easier time working on Comcast. I skyped easily on Comcast. Still haven't gotten it to connect on AT&T. To be fair, though, I only tried twice.

I have had missing emails on AT&T. When I find out about it (and I always wonder which unrec'd messages I never discover), I have the person fwd me the sent notice, which I then fwd to AT&T. They transfer me around to no end. Very frustrating.

Also- when installing, I was told it would take 2-4 hours. It took over 9! He drilled a hole through the wall to run cable, and another HOLE in our custom bookcase, leaving sawdust on the floor. He also needed (this was unexpected) access to our attic. By the end of the day, I mean night, he was too rattled to give us a run-through. He said to call if we had questions. We did, since it stopped working that night. Another tech had to come the next day to fix it.

End of rant

Old 09-19-2009, 06:57 AM

Default more specifics re whether need for landline and HD TV usage

My sweetie wants to have 2 HD TV's in the house, and doesn't want to dedicate a computer to watching TV (I had suggested I look into the possibility of just getting shows and movies via a computer and connecting computer to a bigger monitor,flat screen or whatever). Haven't had a TV for many years, so trying to learn about that. Do I actually have to get U-Verse (available in only one house we like) or is the DSL or Comcast sufficient for what we want to do?Also, if we both have cell phones (AT&T,his Blackberry), do we even need a landline phone?
What is the fastest and best system out there available in Franklin? Suggestions?

Old 09-19-2009, 08:01 AM

sounds like a nightmare!

Old 09-19-2009, 11:47 AM

627 posts, read 1,845,939 times
I have Comcast Internet. It is speedy and reliable.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:35 PM

957 posts, read 3,699,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbj350 View Post
My sweetie wants to have 2 HD TV's in the house, and doesn't want to dedicate a computer to watching TV (I had suggested I look into the possibility of just getting shows and movies via a computer and connecting computer to a bigger monitor,flat screen or whatever).
You can do the same thing with Tivo and a high speed connection. Tivo can connect directly to services like Netflix to watch instantly or you can upload video to the Tivo box with your PC. We get digital locals from an antenna. Other than that, Tivo and the internet is all we have. It's like having Comcast HD service for 1/4 the price.

we haven't had a land line for over 5 years now. If you really want one or you need fax, you can buy a MagicJack. The are $20 + $20/year and plug into your computer.

We were going to go the computer route as well, but Tivo is a much more elegant solution. The only issue is that it does require a stable high speed connection and I wouldn't classify Comcast internet as stable. It works most of the time, but during peak times, speed is just not sufficient to stream. HD video of course, requires a fast and stable connection.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:06 PM

thanks so much! that sounds terrific. Does AT&T U-Verse provide the necessary stability?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville