U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-02-2006, 07:29 AM

6 posts, read 29,047 times

Advertisements

Hello all, we are considering a move to the south!

One of the locations that looks pretty nice (according to internet information) is Murfreesboro Tennessee. I do have many questions though. I have been reading this forum and there is some pretty good information here from plenty of good people.

My questions are:

How does Tenn. tax people? I have read that they have no personal income tax, so how do they get their money? License plates, property tax?????? What would the estimated real estate taxes be on a $200,000 house?

Schools: How are the schools in the Murfreesboro area? Is the city/county keeping up with growth?

Infrastructure: Again, is the city/county keeping up with growth? We are looking for a larger city, but don't want to be slammed with traffic issues everywhere we go.

How is crime? I am from a small town in Illinois and theft, small violence and especially drugs (pot and meth.) are HUGE and it seems that law enforcement has their hands tied. We are looking for a low crime area that has stiff penalties for those who do break the law.

What about Job and Business prospects? My wife is an Rx, so her finding a job is not really a problem, but I am a farmer, so the prospects of a good jobs and /or a good business environment are important.

Basically, we are looking for small town type living, while having the nice shopping, restaurants and activities of a city. Excellent education is very important to us. We have two very smart kids who are very bored with school. Our local schools test about 5-10 points below state average and our graduation rate has fallen to 69%. My daughter who is in first grade has a reading ability and comprehension level of a 4th grader and she is quite bored in school and trouble from the bad seeds in her class seem to find her. My son is in about the same boat. They need a better education!

We are looking for friendly people with a good sense of community. People who care about their surroundings and who will work hard to keep it nice or make it nice.

What about fun activities? What is there to do in leisure time?

Any and all information you can share with me would be great. Thanks so much for all the help.
Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville