Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 07:43 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,970,936 times

Advertisements

There are certain amenities that a top 20 city has like a usable mass transit system certain upscale shopping and other amenities that Nashville doesn't have.

MSA population along with GMP is a good indication of how Nashville stacks up to other metros. It isn't top 20 yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2018, 08:04 PM

8 posts, read 9,146 times
No. Not by any metric.

Old 10-13-2018, 09:44 PM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Nashville is looking really good. All of the development going on is changing the city for the better. Some other cities that are rundown with high crime could learn from Nashville.

https://patch.com/tennessee/nashvill...america-report

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashvill...e/crane-watch/

Old 10-14-2018, 11:14 AM

71 posts, read 81,329 times
I personally am over the Nashville hype. Have lived here almost 4 years and am in the process of job hunting outside of the city. It’s an okay place to live, but the city has changed a ton (and I dispute the previous poster’s statement that all the change has been for the better). Top 20 city? Depends on what you are looking for in a city.

Old 10-20-2018, 04:26 PM

140 posts, read 256,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprtsJunkie88 View Post
I personally am over the Nashville hype. Have lived here almost 4 years and am in the process of job hunting outside of the city. It’s an okay place to live, but the city has changed a ton (and I dispute the previous poster’s statement that all the change has been for the better). Top 20 city? Depends on what you are looking for in a city.
Word-for-word, buddy, I am right there with you. It's probably because of the topical dressing I see Nashville being presented as...but as someone whose occupation involves building and transportation, I see another side, the underside in several instances, and while Nashville certainly does have its niceties, and benefits from great scenery, the astronomically-rising living costs (while in many instances living wages are not keeping up) combined with the woefully inept roadway network (which continues to cram by the day), is gonna expose a serious problem once "the bubble bursts".

This is not to shoot down Nashville at all, as I've seen and learned things I can and definitely will take with me to wherever I'm led to next. But I just don't live in or on hype.

Old 10-20-2018, 06:54 PM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
The Nashville "hype" isn't in my wheelhouse. I grew up in the area, although I've lived in other regions of the country, so it's just home I guess. I understand there's a new wave of people and things happening in the area but that's basically the norm if your city is desirable. Housing costs are rising but it's really not THAT expensive here. Traffic really isn't THAT bad either. I feel like people in Nashville have this defeated mindset that they're in a situation that no other growing city is. Nashville isn't as bad as some other places in these respects. A lot of metros are growing quickly, and at a higher rate than we are.

Point being, if you like it here, awesome. If you don't, that's fine too, but people seem to be perfectly content in relocating here and staying here. I think it's all about what you're used to before coming here. Most locals will stay so they/we don't really count, but the newcomers simply base their opinions on what they're used to back home. It seems like most people are satisfied with things here.

Old 10-21-2018, 05:37 AM

2,427 posts, read 2,477,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
The Nashville "hype" isn't in my wheelhouse. I grew up in the area, although I've lived in other regions of the country, so it's just home I guess. I understand there's a new wave of people and things happening in the area but that's basically the norm if your city is desirable. Housing costs are rising but it's really not THAT expensive here. Traffic really isn't THAT bad either. I feel like people in Nashville have this defeated mindset that they're in a situation that no other growing city is. Nashville isn't as bad as some other places in these respects. A lot of metros are growing quickly, and at a higher rate than we are.

Point being, if you like it here, awesome. If you don't, that's fine too, but people seem to be perfectly content in relocating here and staying here. I think it's all about what you're used to before coming here. Most locals will stay so they/we don't really count, but the newcomers simply base their opinions on what they're used to back home. It seems like most people are satisfied with things here.
Agreed and that's normally how it works

Old 10-21-2018, 05:49 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Quote:
I feel like people in Nashville have this defeated mindset that they're in a situation that no other growing city is.
I can’t rep you again. This is spot on. ^^^^^

Old 10-21-2018, 10:18 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post

Despite whether it is expensive to you is not really the issue. Same goes for traffic, considering the percentage increase over a short period of time is what has natives caught off-guard. I have long stated Nashville's real estate was severely underappraised, but now it is out of control. The defeatedness is not due the increase in traffic volume or residential prices, but the slow, mostly dismissive response to both from city and state officials.

Old 10-22-2018, 10:25 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,084,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
Despite whether it is expensive to you is not really the issue. Same goes for traffic, considering the percentage increase over a short period of time is what has natives caught off-guard. I have long stated Nashville's real estate was severely underappraised, but now it is out of control. The defeatedness is not due the increase in traffic volume or residential prices, but the slow, mostly dismissive response to both from city and state officials.
I'm not saying I find it cheap here. I'm just saying I've noticed over the years the inability for a lot of people in this area to accept and handle the problems that come from a city on the rise. Yeah it's getting more expensive. Yeah traffic is getting worse. But I don't know why anyone would think there's any way around that. I've lived in several large metro areas across the country and Nashville is by far the one where people complain about "growing pains" the most. I'm not totally sure why that is, but I'm guessing it's because Nashville is just now beginning to hit its first real growth spurt. Obviously it has grown in the past but not to the level of a "large American city". If homes were or are underappraised, that's a bummer, but I feel like there are still just excuses as to why things aren't as good as people want them to be.

Are a lot of these 99 other markets complaining about the same things? The recent increase is pretty steep, yes, but are there other places to learn from when it comes to rising costs?

https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/real-...reas/index.php

Last edited by Drake744; 10-22-2018 at 10:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville