Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 01:39 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
One massive difference 10 years later is that the number people who are able to work from home is much larger now so don’t be too surprised if your AG county doesn’t stay status quo.
Keep in mind that while some people can telework, it's not a massive trend. I've seen quite a few complaints over on work and employment about companies actually recalling telecommuters back to an office.

I work in IT. I've worked for three Fortune 500s across three different industries. I've also worked for a mid-sized tech company, bank, and a hospital system. Only one offered telecommuting with any sort of regularity. There's no technical reason I can't work remotely, but corporate cultures have not caught up yet.

On paper, teleworkers could live further out, hopefully reducing the strain on urban housing and traffic. The reality is that it hasn't worked like that. Quality jobs seem to be consolidating into ever fewer places, and Nashville is a winner in that regard.

These Amazon jobs probably won't have a large telecommute component. People will be expected to be in an office, and they need to live in a commutable place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 01:47 PM

10,064 posts, read 14,439,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Hold on here! This is a big win for Nashville but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Hey, I'm just sayin' Nashville is booming in a short span of years and it's changing right before our eyes--very, very fast.

It's cool to see it transform and grow. I would like to see the city embrace public transportation though.

Old 11-14-2018, 01:54 PM

2,427 posts, read 2,476,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Hey, I'm just sayin' Nashville is booming in a short span of years and it's changing right before our eyes--very, very fast.

It's cool to see it transform and grow. I would like to see the city embrace public transportation though.

Believe me its coming, think Amazon with be it's wake up call! You have to grow up some day and this is Nashville's time to.. Going to that another level real fast. I can see it getting that regional state help in the Transportation sector now especially since this was some of the state's effort to lure Amazon it to begin with.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:18 PM

4,344 posts, read 4,720,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Keep in mind that while some people can telework, it's not a massive trend. I've seen quite a few complaints over on work and employment about companies actually recalling telecommuters back to an office.

I work in IT. I've worked for three Fortune 500s across three different industries. I've also worked for a mid-sized tech company, bank, and a hospital system. Only one offered telecommuting with any sort of regularity. There's no technical reason I can't work remotely, but corporate cultures have not caught up yet.

On paper, teleworkers could live further out, hopefully reducing the strain on urban housing and traffic. The reality is that it hasn't worked like that. Quality jobs seem to be consolidating into ever fewer places, and Nashville is a winner in that regard.

These Amazon jobs probably won't have a large telecommute component. People will be expected to be in an office, and they need to live in a commutable place.

And in my field I am seeing the opposite - lots more flexibility in telecommuting among all levels of employees.

And I would take with a grain of salt pretty much anything on the work/employment forum.

Old 11-14-2018, 03:24 PM

126 posts, read 146,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Hold on here! This is a big win for Nashville but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
I pretty much agree with everything jjb said. Nashville is in many ways a bigger city than the population figures would suggest. It's brand is world-wide and it's reputation as a place to live, work and play is a reason ambitious people are moving to the city in droves. They come for the city first and the jobs second.

I wish I could find that old map called areas of economic influence I saw a decade ago, somewhere. It measured a cities size and impact based on how large of an area was dependent on the base city for direct and ancillary jobs, services and quality of life. Nashville was 20th on that list as I recall, and might be a little higher today.

And Amazon, in my opinion, is here to grow 'with' Nashville and not ahead of it. I see future expansion as Nashville solves transportation and housing issues.

People who know this city, know it is just realizing it's potential to significantly increase it's impact on the national culture and economy.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:53 PM

126 posts, read 142,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
This is an incredible announcement for Nashville. It does just prove how red-hot Nashville's recruitment, branding and booming game is right now.

For Amazon to give Nashville this huge, lucrative, high-jobs creating development that other cities would die for, is MAJOR.

Just goes to show Nashville is positioning itself as a major city in the southeast for business competition, growth, and relevance.
In the past 5 - 7 years or so, Nashville has transitioned itself from a middle-tier city, alongside of great southern cities like Birmingham, Memphis, Louisville, Raleigh, New Orleans, and Jacksonville, into a new major-city category tier in the southeast.

It is safe to say Nashville is now regularly being mentioned in the same city groupings, in terms of economic, branding, and cultural impact, as other southeastern cities such as Atlanta, Charlotte, Miami, Tampa and DC. Granted, not the same SIZE, but the same relevance.
Nashville has climbed to a different category quickly and right before our eyes, since 2010. Wow.

As if people didn't know about Nashville.

Nashville was big time long before Amazon.

Nashville has 3 auto manufacturing complexes. Health Care headquarters everywhere. Insurance, Publishing, Entertainment and other industries are also prominent.

Most people can barely find D.C. on a map yet alone Charlotte, NC and Tampa.

Last edited by QuinnMill; 11-16-2018 at 02:02 PM..

Old 11-16-2018, 01:59 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuinnMill View Post

Nashville has 3 auto manufacturing complexes. Health Care headquarters everywhere. Insurance, Publishing, and Entertainment and other industries are also prominent.

IMO, Tampa doesn't have the corporate brand that Nashville has, even though the Tampa metro is a lot bigger.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuinnMill View Post

Nashville has 3 auto manufacturing complexes. Health Care headquarters everywhere. Insurance, Publishing, Entertainment and other industries are also prominent.

I'm not saying people didn't know about Nashville. For decades, Nashville has been dominated mostly as being identified as "country music USA."

I'm saying that this elevates the brand of Nashville further, and further shows that Nashville is increasingly discussed and increasingly an option for major companies to open their presence in, relocate to, or strongly consider, when they would not have, say 5, 6 years ago.

Nashville is moving into another tier of cities, and it is happening rapidly.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
IMO, Tampa doesn't have the corporate brand that Nashville has, even though the Tampa metro is a lot bigger.
I agree with this.

I work often in the Tampa market for work. Although Tampa is a draw of course, and a large city, in my experience, Nashville generates more overall buzz in general, than most cities when it comes up in convo.

Old 11-23-2018, 08:30 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,608,316 times
Pittsburgher here. Congratulations! I’m inclined to agree that this further proves that Nashville is now much more than “Music City USA” and is stepping up into the “big leagues”. Nashville is clearly the dominant city now in Tennessee (sorry, Memphis), and at the rate it’s going it may knock off Charlotte soon, too, as it continues to grow in prestige as a rising star in the South.

Think it will be a VERY long time before Nashville can duke it out with Atlanta, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville