Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 08:37 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,515,483 times

Advertisements

The choice might depend on where the job(s) is/are.

In reality, the cities are across from each other on Old Hickory Lake. Unfortunately the bridges over the lake are either Old Hickory Dam or Gallatin's Hwy 109. You cannot get from one city to the other easily.

If I was going to be moving from Boston to either city, I'd be looking for waterfront property on Old Hickory Lake. Modcut: Williamson County is not part of this thread.

Last edited by JMT; 05-04-2020 at 08:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 09:27 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,469,795 times
First, let me say that MtJ and Hville have a lot of similarities and are both very popular alternatives to Williamson County for folks relocating to the area. So I think if you liked both areas 50/50 then you should feel like either way you decide you are probably going to be happy at least with the amenities, shopping, restaurants, etc. Especially if you don't have to worry about a commute.

Also, keep in mind I carry an information bias towards Hendersonville as I've lived there longer though I did live in MtJ 15+ years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtpa View Post
Mount Juliet and the Providence section really sparked our interest first. Looked at homes in Baird Farms and have found a few online in neighborhoods like Reserve in Providence. Being that our home has some specific needs (and of course wants) these fit.
I am not really familiar with the real estate in MtJ any more, but the Providence area is really impressive as are the other developments along MtJ road. It can be a pain navigating the area in peak traffic times, but it feels like the retail/restaurant options are better in MtJ than Hendersonville.

Quote:
The next day we drove to Hendersonville and looked there. So much green was impressive and the areas around Indian Lake really stood out. As did some of the newer areas closer to the Target shopping center, which if I was a betting man, I would say gets built up with retail as well.
Indian Lake definitely stands out and is a more moderate version of Providence. It seems like Indian Lake is about to continue developing further out and we are getting more and more office complexes in that area too.

The area around Target is Glenbrook and as I recall was the first substantial "new" commercial development in Hendersonville about 15+ years ago. While it's poised to grow, the overall footprint of Glenbrook has pretty much stayed the same over the last decade or so. There's plenty of other land around the area to develop but for some reason it just hasn't spread yet.

Quote:
One neighborhood we just loved was Blue Ridge, as the homes were fantastic and the location seemed excellent (but what do we know haha). Although there is a train behind the neighborhood and are trying to find out if you can hear it and how often.
Blue Ridge is definitely a great subdivision and a very good location. The train is active and it goes through multiple times a day though I don't know exactly how many. Anyone who's spent much time in Hendersonville can tell you about having to wait at the train crossing on Saundersville Road (which, allegedly, they are going to mitigate somehow though I've heard that story for 10 years now and no changes have been made). So I can say with 100% certainty that the train is quite active but cannot speak to the level of noise or disturbance it causes. That said, I've lived near train tracks before (2 blocks away) and honestly it is usually background noise unless the conductor goes nuts with the horn.

Quote:
There were a few other neighborhoods in Hendersonville we looked at, but were warned about the force and sound from the quarry and I am not sure I am okay with that.
That's interesting...I suppose you're referring to the quarry off of Big Station Camp/Lower Station Camp Roads just off the 386 bypass? We used to live within walking distance (maybe 2.5 miles?) to the quarry and I honestly do not recall ever feeling vibrations nor sound from it. I'm sure as you get closer to it there could be some minor issues, but I really have not heard of it being a nuisance. The dump trucks going to/from the quarry...yeah, they can be a small pain and usually seem to peak right around rush hour.

I will also say that area of Hendersonville bleeds into Gallatin...which itself is a growing city though distinctly different than Hendersonville, but might be worth looking at as well. This area in particular (Station Camp general area) has been growing for 10+ years and, economy permitting, will continue to do so especially in the Greenlea Blvd area.

Quote:
So please help. Offer your opinions on the pros and cons of each in its current state and moving forward. We have never lived in TN, but love the taxes, the demographics and the sense of community we heard from a number of people.
Other pros/cons I can think of...first Mt. Juliet:

Pros: close to the airport, easy access to 2 lakes (Old Hickory, Percy Priest), reputation for good schools, proximity to an above-average state park (Long Hunter SP), pretty good park system, close to Summit Hospital in Hermitage, slightly more options for restaurants and retail, access to the Music City Star commuter rail into Nashville, generally welcoming to "transplants" as it is very popular for relocation.

Cons: I question how the area is managing its growth...I could be wrong but my sense is that they adopted a more growth-at-all-costs attitude more than other areas (this may actually be a "pro" to some), car commute to Nashville is 45 mins+

Hendersonville:

Pros: Lots of restaurants/retail and I think a better mix of independent and chain restaurants than MtJ, reputation for good schools, excellent city park system, easy access to Old Hickory Lake, Hendersonville Hospital and also quick access to Skyline Medical in Madison, generally welcoming as well.

Cons: commute to Nashville can be a pain and mildly unpredictable though about the same as MtJ, 386/Vietnam Vets Pkwy is great but also prone to wrecks and congestion, no commuter rail.

One final note that is either positive or negative or neither depending on your personal opinions...but both MtJ and Hville (and Wilson and Sumner Counties as a whole) tend to be conservative politically. You'll also find many places of worship in both and it can seem strange to some who relocate to the area that so many of their neighbors attend churches. Nashville/Davidson County is more progressive but all of the halo counties around it lean conservative to heavy conservative. That's not to say that everyone is a church-going Republican, but if you're used to a more progressive state government representation...you're not going to get that in MtJ or Hville. Just FYI.

Old 05-04-2020, 01:40 PM

109 posts, read 398,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
First, let me say that MtJ and Hville have a lot of similarities and are both very popular alternatives to Williamson County for folks relocating to the area. So I think if you liked both areas 50/50 then you should feel like either way you decide you are probably going to be happy at least with the amenities, shopping, restaurants, etc. Especially if you don't have to worry about a commute.

Also, keep in mind I carry an information bias towards Hendersonville as I've lived there longer though I did live in MtJ 15+ years ago.

I am not really familiar with the real estate in MtJ any more, but the Providence area is really impressive as are the other developments along MtJ road. It can be a pain navigating the area in peak traffic times, but it feels like the retail/restaurant options are better in MtJ than Hendersonville.

Indian Lake definitely stands out and is a more moderate version of Providence. It seems like Indian Lake is about to continue developing further out and we are getting more and more office complexes in that area too.

The area around Target is Glenbrook and as I recall was the first substantial "new" commercial development in Hendersonville about 15+ years ago. While it's poised to grow, the overall footprint of Glenbrook has pretty much stayed the same over the last decade or so. There's plenty of other land around the area to develop but for some reason it just hasn't spread yet.

Blue Ridge is definitely a great subdivision and a very good location. The train is active and it goes through multiple times a day though I don't know exactly how many. Anyone who's spent much time in Hendersonville can tell you about having to wait at the train crossing on Saundersville Road (which, allegedly, they are going to mitigate somehow though I've heard that story for 10 years now and no changes have been made). So I can say with 100% certainty that the train is quite active but cannot speak to the level of noise or disturbance it causes. That said, I've lived near train tracks before (2 blocks away) and honestly it is usually background noise unless the conductor goes nuts with the horn.

That's interesting...I suppose you're referring to the quarry off of Big Station Camp/Lower Station Camp Roads just off the 386 bypass? We used to live within walking distance (maybe 2.5 miles?) to the quarry and I honestly do not recall ever feeling vibrations nor sound from it. I'm sure as you get closer to it there could be some minor issues, but I really have not heard of it being a nuisance. The dump trucks going to/from the quarry...yeah, they can be a small pain and usually seem to peak right around rush hour.

I will also say that area of Hendersonville bleeds into Gallatin...which itself is a growing city though distinctly different than Hendersonville, but might be worth looking at as well. This area in particular (Station Camp general area) has been growing for 10+ years and, economy permitting, will continue to do so especially in the Greenlea Blvd area.

Other pros/cons I can think of...first Mt. Juliet:

Pros: close to the airport, easy access to 2 lakes (Old Hickory, Percy Priest), reputation for good schools, proximity to an above-average state park (Long Hunter SP), pretty good park system, close to Summit Hospital in Hermitage, slightly more options for restaurants and retail, access to the Music City Star commuter rail into Nashville, generally welcoming to "transplants" as it is very popular for relocation.

Cons: I question how the area is managing its growth...I could be wrong but my sense is that they adopted a more growth-at-all-costs attitude more than other areas (this may actually be a "pro" to some), car commute to Nashville is 45 mins+

Hendersonville:

Pros: Lots of restaurants/retail and I think a better mix of independent and chain restaurants than MtJ, reputation for good schools, excellent city park system, easy access to Old Hickory Lake, Hendersonville Hospital and also quick access to Skyline Medical in Madison, generally welcoming as well.

Cons: commute to Nashville can be a pain and mildly unpredictable though about the same as MtJ, 386/Vietnam Vets Pkwy is great but also prone to wrecks and congestion, no commuter rail.

One final note that is either positive or negative or neither depending on your personal opinions...but both MtJ and Hville (and Wilson and Sumner Counties as a whole) tend to be conservative politically. You'll also find many places of worship in both and it can seem strange to some who relocate to the area that so many of their neighbors attend churches. Nashville/Davidson County is more progressive but all of the halo counties around it lean conservative to heavy conservative. That's not to say that everyone is a church-going Republican, but if you're used to a more progressive state government representation...you're not going to get that in MtJ or Hville. Just FYI.
Thank you so much for this detailed response. Very much appreciated.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:09 AM

22 posts, read 72,098 times
Hi All -

I am @joshtpa's wife and I had a couple follow up questions. First, we have pretty much decided that unless we find something right in the Providence area of Mount Juliet that we much prefer Hendersonville, so that is where our focus has turned for house hunting.

We still really like the Blueridge neighborhood, but I would love to learn more about the train situation. When we were visiting last time we stayed at the Hyatt Place right next to Blueridge and around 1:30am and 3:30am I definitely heard the train going through (I have a hard time sleeping in hotels so I was sadly awake during these times). I was wondering if anyone else had first hand knowledge of the train situation and how much of a nuisance (if any) it really is in that neighborhood. We used to live in a beautiful planned development here in Florida that had a train nearby and while you could hear it we never really noticed it, so I am wondering if this is going to be the same situation and we are just over thinking this. We really do love that neighborhood.

We found another neighborhood that we have absolutely fallen in love with in Hendersonville so I am hoping someone on here can tell us if it's as nice as we think. That neighborhood is Somerset Downs. Driving in and have the horses right there is pretty amazing.

If there are any other neighborhoods in Hendersonville that we should be looking at I would love to hear about them. For reference we are looking for a 3 (plus office) or 4+ bedroom house, 2+ baths, over 2700sf and our max budget is $500K. We ideally need something that has a large bonus space over the garage with 9'+ ceilings, or a basement with the same ceiling heights. We work from home, and we need it for our specific work needs.

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-20-2020, 10:46 AM

145 posts, read 204,049 times
We moved here about 7 years ago to the western edge of Gallatin. So we are far enough to just barely hear the trains (which we enjoy hearing...a little ha). We also don't have to worry about the tracks at Saundersville Road, but have easy access to 386 and even going up to North via 109.

We are about equal distance to H'ville and Gallatin, same distance to restaurants (Gallatin has a lot of locally owned and some chains). Take a look at Foxland Harbor https://www.foxlandharbor.com/ off Douglas Bend. There are homes there that would fit your 500k budget.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:59 AM

22 posts, read 72,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topfuels View Post
We moved here about 7 years ago to the western edge of Gallatin. So we are far enough to just barely hear the trains (which we enjoy hearing...a little ha). We also don't have to worry about the tracks at Saundersville Road, but have easy access to 386 and even going up to North via 109.

We are about equal distance to H'ville and Gallatin, same distance to restaurants (Gallatin has a lot of locally owned and some chains). Take a look at Foxland Harbor https://www.foxlandharbor.com/ off Douglas Bend. There are homes there that would fit your 500k budget.
I will take a look, thank you so much! I don't know much about Gallatin, but we did venture to the Hendersonville/Gallatin border near the Hunt Club and I liked it over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville