U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-05-2019, 11:10 PM
 
7,478 posts, read 13,562,038 times
Reputation: 9307

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
I think people have a tendency to spend too much time trying to find comfort in a potential new area by comparing it to a place they're familiar with. You wouldn't go to Murfreesboro and think "oh yeah this is like Puyallup". For one, the population of The Boro is way, way higher. Yeah they're both about the same distance from "the city" but that's about it. Tacoma is a closer comparison. Thirty-ish miles south, population getting into the high 100,000s (I know Tacoma is a little larger than that), horrible traffic between it and Nashville (or Seattle in Tacoma's case), the second principal city in the market, large enough to live and work in and have everything you need, etc.

Places are different all around and can be enjoyed on their own. Looking for comparisons is understandable but unnecessary to me. If you go somewhere and find out that a place reminds you of something you're used to , you'll know it. You can't really look for it going in. Some neighborhoods of Nashville can be loosely compared with Seattle counterparts but suburbs I wouldn't really go down that hole.
No, you're right. The culture and layout is vastly different. But Tacoma is still much different from Murfreesboro even with all the similarities you've laid out.

I wasn't saying it's just like Puyallup but there are some things that do pop up as being somewhat similar. If RC was looking for "Nashville experience" like some people would for Seattle, the response would be similar-ish, no one would rec Puyallup for the Seattle experience. But he's looking for affordability with willingness to come to town for culture, big town/city amenities. I think Murfreesboro could be a good option.

I like Chattanooga as well. Kinda iffy on Knoxville personally but I think it is a good option for RC to investigate as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2019, 05:06 AM
 
Location: 36N 84W
81 posts, read 127,716 times
Reputation: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
MTSU is pretty big. Someone might have to correct me on this but I think it's the biggest College in the state, or at least up there in terms of population.
Fall 2018 enrollment

MTSU: 21,532
UTK: 28,321

Source:
https://www.mtsu.edu/boardoftrustees...enrollment.php
https://www.utk.edu/aboutut/numbers/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 05:34 AM
 
1,527 posts, read 1,380,287 times
Reputation: 1362
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
[/b]

What might that be?
The OP was talking about how people were bringing up politics and they seemed to be more polarized in Denver, but it isn't just constrained to that place. Just about everywhere you go today people are more willing to talk about politics and are more polarized, but it didn't used to be that way. Or well not as many people were concerned with politics as part of their identity.

Unlike the weather, politics are man made and how much people allow them to creep into daily life can change (I'd like to think for the better meaning less polarization/personal identity). Colorado is supposed to be one of the more Libertarian places in the US, but the OP didn't find it to his liking so as a main criteria it is going to be hard to find somewhere better for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 12:24 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
1,583 posts, read 1,581,223 times
Reputation: 2108
Quote:
Originally Posted by crltn19 View Post
I think MTSU is the largest undergrad school in the state. Or at least it was for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 02:11 PM
 
Location: Nashville
3,483 posts, read 4,341,414 times
Reputation: 4473
Drake, I would never assume that any one city would be the same as any one else. I think InkPoe was just referring to the layout, distance and it being a large suburb. Although many would consider South Hill a more desirable area, whereas Tacoma is consider kind of run down and crime-ridden. Puyallup has grown leaps and bounds and the South Hill/Puyallup area is just a giant sprawled mess with not much of a city center. It sounds like Murfreesboro does have its own identity and is a city unto itself like Tacoma. If Murfreesboro is like Tacoma though I probably would not want to live there. I never really liked Tacoma and before I left Washington state I was actually living about 15 minutes from South Tacoma in Lacey, WA. It is true the Northside of Tacoma (Proctor, Fircrest, North End, University Place, etc) is nice, but most of the city is crime-ridden, run-down, dirty and has lot of problems. The city has a large amount of mentally ill people and aggressive homeless people. It wasn't all that uncommon to find dirty needles laying around the parks, etc. Also, it is still a very industrial-based/blue-collar city. Would you say Murfreesboro fits that character? I always like to equate Tacoma with a more rust belt Midwestern city. It reminds me a bit of what I saw driving through the run down parts of Kansas City. Literally, it looks identical minus the large bodies of waters and mountains. I always joked if you could see past the barb wired, smoke stacks, run down buildings and garbage, Tacoma is very beautiful with Mount Rainier and the Olympics towering above the city.

InkPoe, I would be interested to hear your views on Knoxville, although that may be bit off-topic for this thread.. I do have a thread I started in the Knoxville forum..

http://www.city-data.com/forum/knoxv...al-within.html

If you could share your views with me there or even DM I'd be interested to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
1,583 posts, read 1,581,223 times
Reputation: 2108
Yeah I'm not trying to compare the cityscape of Murfreesboro with Tacoma as the latter is far more urbanized and more rundown, I was just showing some of the similarities in other ways. Murfreesboro has issues but yeah it's mainly just a large suburb rather than a separate urban city. I would much rather live in Murfreesboro here than Tacoma there. I lived north of Seattle but had/still have friends that lived in places like Des Moines and Bonney Lake down south and I always felt much closer to nature so to speak closer to Tacoma than in Mountlake Terrace/Lynnwood where I was. It has that benefit for sure. So speaking of nature, if nearby outdoor activities are a heavy priority I would certainly look at either Chattanooga and/or Knoxville. Chatt kind of gets the reputation, and rightfully so, of being the outdoorsy city in Tennessee so that might be your best option. Someone may be able to answer this for me.....if you live in Chattanooga do you sort of relate more with Atlanta than Nashville? Yeah it's in Tennessee, but it's closer to Atlanta, in the Eastern time zone unlike Nashville, and I would assume ATL media is accessible in Chatt. Is there any truth to that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2019, 10:43 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
5,592 posts, read 4,563,357 times
Reputation: 4044
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
Yeah I'm not trying to compare the cityscape of Murfreesboro with Tacoma as the latter is far more urbanized and more rundown, I was just showing some of the similarities in other ways. Murfreesboro has issues but yeah it's mainly just a large suburb rather than a separate urban city. I would much rather live in Murfreesboro here than Tacoma there. I lived north of Seattle but had/still have friends that lived in places like Des Moines and Bonney Lake down south and I always felt much closer to nature so to speak closer to Tacoma than in Mountlake Terrace/Lynnwood where I was. It has that benefit for sure. So speaking of nature, if nearby outdoor activities are a heavy priority I would certainly look at either Chattanooga and/or Knoxville. Chatt kind of gets the reputation, and rightfully so, of being the outdoorsy city in Tennessee so that might be your best option. Someone may be able to answer this for me.....if you live in Chattanooga do you sort of relate more with Atlanta than Nashville? Yeah it's in Tennessee, but it's closer to Atlanta, in the Eastern time zone unlike Nashville, and I would assume ATL media is accessible in Chatt. Is there any truth to that?
Murfreesboro is becoming it's own city as Rutherford County grows. What is nice about Murfreesboro is that you can still afford to live here in a safe community with many recreational activities close by. Murfreesboro will likely pass Chattanooga in terms of population in the next decade. I think Chattanooga has more in common with Atlanta/Northern Georgia than it does with Nashville. It is a hybrid of Appalachian and Piedmont culture that metro Atlanta shares in common, whereas Nashville is neither. Chattanooga has it's own airport and media stations. Some of my family moved from Chattanooga to Atlanta a few years back. They never come to Nashville to see me because "it's too far over the mountain." Lol.
Also, Knoxville in my opinion, is a better value than Chattanooga because it less run down and cheaper, especially if you are looking for an upscale neighborhood. Chattanooga is behind Murfreesboro and Knoxville in terms of upscale/nice homes/apartments outside of the downtown area. However, Chattanooga's downtown is superior to Knoxville and Murfreesboro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2019, 02:19 AM
 
Location: Seattle
583 posts, read 593,555 times
Reputation: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Drake, I would never assume that any one city would be the same as any one else. I think InkPoe was just referring to the layout, distance and it being a large suburb. Although many would consider South Hill a more desirable area, whereas Tacoma is consider kind of run down and crime-ridden. Puyallup has grown leaps and bounds and the South Hill/Puyallup area is just a giant sprawled mess with not much of a city center. It sounds like Murfreesboro does have its own identity and is a city unto itself like Tacoma. If Murfreesboro is like Tacoma though I probably would not want to live there. I never really liked Tacoma and before I left Washington state I was actually living about 15 minutes from South Tacoma in Lacey, WA. It is true the Northside of Tacoma (Proctor, Fircrest, North End, University Place, etc) is nice, but most of the city is crime-ridden, run-down, dirty and has lot of problems. The city has a large amount of mentally ill people and aggressive homeless people. It wasn't all that uncommon to find dirty needles laying around the parks, etc. Also, it is still a very industrial-based/blue-collar city. Would you say Murfreesboro fits that character? I always like to equate Tacoma with a more rust belt Midwestern city. It reminds me a bit of what I saw driving through the run down parts of Kansas City. Literally, it looks identical minus the large bodies of waters and mountains. I always joked if you could see past the barb wired, smoke stacks, run down buildings and garbage, Tacoma is very beautiful with Mount Rainier and the Olympics towering above the city.

InkPoe, I would be interested to hear your views on Knoxville, although that may be bit off-topic for this thread.. I do have a thread I started in the Knoxville forum..

http://www.city-data.com/forum/knoxv...al-within.html

If you could share your views with me there or even DM I'd be interested to hear.
Oh god, you could not be more wrong. I won't even get started. Were you aware that we're not in 1990 anymore? lol Tacoma is incredible, imho. I'm on a random thread right now, and just searched Tacoma out of the blue.. So sorry, as this is not super relevant to this thread.. but dude, most of the problems have been dealt with. And every west coast city has major homelessness, and drug use problems, that's not limited to Tacoma. And it's something that our city officials are actively working with. Aside from that it's a great place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2019, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Nashville
3,483 posts, read 4,341,414 times
Reputation: 4473
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
Oh god, you could not be more wrong. I won't even get started. Were you aware that we're not in 1990 anymore? lol Tacoma is incredible, imho. I'm on a random thread right now, and just searched Tacoma out of the blue.. So sorry, as this is not super relevant to this thread.. but dude, most of the problems have been dealt with. And every west coast city has major homelessness, and drug use problems, that's not limited to Tacoma. And it's something that our city officials are actively working with. Aside from that it's a great place.
We agree to disagree about Tacoma.. Obviously, we cannot get in a debate about Tacoma here as that would throw the thread off course and get it locked. If you like to write a post about defending the integrity of Tacoma, the Seattle/Tacoma forum is the place to go and I can comment there my opinions. Some parts of Tacoma have become very nice and gentrified, I will give it that. But, I have driven through every area of that city and just utterly hate most of it. However, Tacoma has some of the most amazing views of any city in the USA..


Out of curiosity, and more on topic for the Nashville forum, how did you end up on the Nashville forum? Are you planning on leaving the Puget Sound as well? I was living in Lacey near Lakewood, WA/South Tacoma before I left the Puget Sound last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2019, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
1,583 posts, read 1,581,223 times
Reputation: 2108
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaserbrad View Post
Oh god, you could not be more wrong. I won't even get started. Were you aware that we're not in 1990 anymore? lol Tacoma is incredible, imho. I'm on a random thread right now, and just searched Tacoma out of the blue.. So sorry, as this is not super relevant to this thread.. but dude, most of the problems have been dealt with. And every west coast city has major homelessness, and drug use problems, that's not limited to Tacoma. And it's something that our city officials are actively working with. Aside from that it's a great place.
It doesn't matter because this is the Nashville forum but in no universe is Tacoma "incredible"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top