Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 01:44 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,741,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You should easily be able to find a 1BR in Nashville for under $1,000. Here's an example.

When I was looking at Chattanooga a couple years back, I was surprised at how relatively high the rents are. Sure, they don't approach the trendiest neighborhoods of Nashville, but Chattanooga is not cheap. If cost is your ultimate concern, Knoxville wins, but Knoxville has a very small tech/dev scene.

If you're wanting to start a business, Nashville is going to win hands down IMO. There are a lot of newcomers, locals, etc., starting and growing businesses. Growing businesses lead to more businesses - it's a virtuous cycle.

Personally, I'd choose Nashville, live cheap, and try to work part-time at any kind of job to augment your income.

He'd be better off in a different neighborhood, with a roommate.

Last edited by Yac; 11-26-2020 at 01:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 02:09 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,194 times
I’ll admit that I just skimmed the posts because they are pretty long, but OP, did you say that you want to move to Nashville to get out of the medical software development field?
You know that healthcare is one of the main industries in Nashville, right? My husband is a software engineer and until the last 5 years or so, not writing code for healthcare software has been a big impediment to his job search here. Thankfully tech has been rapidly expanding Nashville, but it seems strange to move here to get away from working in one of our biggest tech fields.

Old 02-28-2019, 07:17 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times
Quote:
You should easily be able to find a 1BR in Nashville for under $1,000. Here's an example.

When I was looking at Chattanooga a couple years back, I was surprised at how relatively high the rents are. Sure, they don't approach the trendiest neighborhoods of Nashville, but Chattanooga is not cheap. If cost is your ultimate concern, Knoxville wins, but Knoxville has a very small tech/dev scene.

If you're wanting to start a business, Nashville is going to win hands down IMO. There are a lot of newcomers, locals, etc., starting and growing businesses. Growing businesses lead to more businesses - it's a virtuous cycle.

Personally, I'd choose Nashville, live cheap, and try to work part-time at any kind of job to augment your income.

I may seriously still consider Nashville, but working a part-time job, plus working 70hrs + week on my business venture and having to do study for job interviews and new technologies will be quite a burden.. Bsaically, if I have to work another job, especially a less than ideal job, I may find I am hampered in my efforts, when I probably could have succeeded if I just lived in a place like Knoxville and saved that money. Once things are better for me and I am ready for job market or have income coming in from my business, relocating to Nashville and getting engaged in the IT scene there could be a more viable option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis View Post
He'd be better off in a different neighborhood, with a roommate.
Yes, after reading the reviews of the Candlewood Apartments I can say that it appears to be in a very crime-ridden, run-down complex. I guess you get what you pay for? Somebody 6 years ago was griping about how they charge $690/mo for the place. Haha, $1,000 /mo now.. Wow, Nashville probably has the fastest rising rents in the country. Hope the wages are keeping up

I've been looking at the rents in Murfreesboro and it appears that there are even 2 bedroom apartments under $1,000 /mo that look nice. I also notice Murfreesboro has a much lower crime rate than Nashville. Can anyone give me any input on living in Murfreesboro and what kind of places I could find in the $800 to $1,000/mo range? HOw far is Murfreesboro, realistically (excluding traffic) to Nashville? I could live in a situation where I live and work from home in Murfreesboro but could go into Nashville for entertainment, social life. I am sure Murfreesboro, itself, is a family community and I'd probably be one of the few single guys like here in Littleton (aka Little Fun), CO. However, it's not so far from the city that I cannot go in when I do get some free time.

Considering the high rents of Chattanooga, it seems like it almost makes makes Nashville a better option, overall. I am also wondering about farther suburbs. I assume places like Hendersonville, Mount Juliet, etc are also very expensive since they are near a lake. I guess you would have to live all the way out in Cookeville to save money yet still be able to commute to Nashville? Although, Cookeville looks to be quite far away.

As far as finding roommates, in addition to not really wanting to live with a roommate, I really don't think I can. I own firearms and I have yet to find any roommate who would accept living with someone who has firearms. As well, I haven't had a roommate in years and I pretty intolerant of noise and most roommates are not so respectful I have seen. I've stayed in a few Air Bnbs, including one in a house with a bunch of roommates. They would play music at 12AM, have loud conversations and not even think that I am in the room next door and telling them to be quiet is no easy chore.

Last edited by Yac; 11-26-2020 at 01:47 AM..

Old 02-28-2019, 08:03 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I’ll admit that I just skimmed the posts because they are pretty long, but OP, did you say that you want to move to Nashville to get out of the medical software development field?
You know that healthcare is one of the main industries in Nashville, right? My husband is a software engineer and until the last 5 years or so, not writing code for healthcare software has been a big impediment to his job search here. Thankfully tech has been rapidly expanding Nashville, but it seems strange to move here to get away from working in one of our biggest tech fields.
Hey Brentwood Girl.. Sorry, I overlooked your post.. I apologize for writing such an exhaustive post, but I just love to be more descriptive in my OP than less descriptive, but I understand my post can be a bit convoluted.

Anyhow, I am trying to start my own business and would be looking for an online telecommuting job if my online business ventures either fail or cannot mobilize in time before I end up broke. However, if I was to look for an office job in Nashville and found a place that offered 40 hr work weeks, can accommodate someone with nerve damage in the neck (not so uncommon for senior software devs) and offered a decent salary, I would certainly be open to that kind of job. Indeed, coming from a background in dental software, I would think my skills could be useful in Nashville and the fact there is a sizable IT health care industry there is another advantage.

However, as far as my personal business ventures I want to avoid medical software like the plague due to the amount of headaches I have to face with HIPAA regulations and the fact it is such a competitive and demanding industry. That is in regards to running your own medical/dental software company. Working for another company is a different story.

I am looking at possibly launching a legal practice management software business, but thinking of other possibilities too, including custom software design and consulting. My goal is to have a home based business or work from home and live wherever I want.. I don't want to be a cubicle person the rest of my life.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:40 PM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I think you really need to lay out your business ideas in a tech-oriented forum, see how viable they are, then figure out where to live based on industry expertise. You're trying to ram in cost as the primary determinant - long term, you need to be in the best available areas for what you are trying to do for whatever business you are trying to build. I wouldn't live in Nashville if I was trying to build a business with oil and gas customers.

I've lived in metros as large as Nashville, spent a lot of time in metro Boston for business, lived in two smaller metros other than my hometown, have worked for a retail bank/investment bank vendor/pension fund provider/chemical company/hospital organization/small manufacturer/defense contractor in numerous IT roles, and I can't figure out what you want.

Personally, I think your plan is seriously flawed. Essentially bailing out and hunkering down while learning something new over a few years is not the way to get ahead in tech. Hiring managers will want to know why you bailed out. You need to remain continuously employed and exposed to new technologies and methodologies. You're wanting to be self-employed and are imposing all these contingencies about why you can't do a traditional job, but the fact is you don't have enough money to bail out for the very long term, or you wouldn't be doing all this quibbling over costs.

I work for a regional hospital system on the other end of Tennessee in a very low cost area. Locally, I'm top 10%-15% income among single income earners as an individual contributor. With bonus this year, I should gross about $65k. I rarely work more than forty hours. Some of my teammates are workaholics. I'm not that way. I give my internal customers a burner number, which I have the app auto-routed to a voicemail after 5.

I think your decisions need to go way, way beyond making decisions between cities based on a couple hundred bucks difference in rent.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:47 PM

367 posts, read 585,011 times
Murfreesboro would work for you I would think. It is a city of about 135,000 so it definitely has all your day to day needs. It is just 30 miles away from downtown Nashville via I24, so its easy to get to Nashville for pro sports, concerts, etc.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:03 PM

192 posts, read 257,877 times
I have to continue reading, but my first initial reaction is you need to clarify just how Jewish you are. You mean you are ethnicly Jewish by birth from one or both parents but dont practice? If you do practice or just have an interest, there is a HUGE and very supportive non secular Jewish Comunuity center in Nashville as well as two major Synagogues. The South has a deep history of Jewish culture but it is kind of unspoken in most circles. You still have a lot of dumb ignorant people here who are still in the 1960s and make a lot of comments about "dam jews" and "Yankees" having zero idea they helped build Nashville or know who Cornielus Vanderbilt is. Those are the ones who have no idea Jonnny Cash was part Jew, proud of it, and his daughter married a Jew from NYC. Many country writers and artists are from jewish familes or even still practice Judaism. Many of Countrys biggest hits were written by Jews. Several of the bigger Bro country writers are Gay and Jewish! Giddy up..

41 is OLDER? For a guy that is squarly in the center, that is not old for a guy in Nashville to start here. For a women, yes I would say it would be much more difficult.
Bars are a way of life in Nashville, and you have to go to them, or stay home like I do with the cats. It's that or "church" and ''community oriented" activities, and you'll have to drive to most of it, another thing that keeps me home at night. You do have to make a real effort here to meet people, it is not easy at all. It's not easy anywhere! I've been to Denver a dozen times, never met a single decent guy. I would have to live there to find some, I know they are there. I'm to busy smokin' when I'm there to meet people hahha.

I have a friend who employs people remotely and on site for 30 plus an hour doing IT for his company. You didn't say much about what you would do for work. It will be fairly easy to find a share with a private bathroom or small apartment in the core around Vanderbilt and Belmont. May and August are the best times to look when students give up the leases.

Hiking? Remember, Colorado has NO BUGS. We have bugs, a horrible insect called a CHIGGER, or HARVEST MITE, or RED SPIIDER MITE. If you hike here April to November, you must cover yourself head to toe with Deet inside your clothes or you can potentially be eaten alive! If you have never exsperianced being bitten by a chigger, it is the worst. The itch can last up to 2 months, and the bites can scar from scratching. This is the one thing no one prepared me for when I moved to the south thinking I could enjoy the outdoors. NO WAY. I have to cover completely with deet, then dress and spray the outside as well to mow the lawn, including my FACE. I'm good for maybe three hours before I have to take a shower. It's miserable. For this reason alone I am determined to retire out West somewhere. No chiggers in Colorado or most of the Western part of the country. Ticks, yes, chiggers, no. Chiggers in the South can be so bad an older person or infant can die getting to many bites. You'd have to be hospitalized and heavily medicated or you'd scratch your skin off, similar to a bad poison Ivy or Oak infestation. Some locals don't feel them or are immune, don't listen to those people. They can sit in the grass and not get bit, you are not them! hahha.

Contact me with a message, and I can meet you when you come for a visit and show you around. Nashville is the only option if your coming from Denver, I just got back from Denver and I love it there, I just don't like the snow much. The other cities are close anyway and not as hip as here. My neighbor has a great airbnb for just 80-100 bucks a night, an entire house across the street, and there are many other great ones in the neighborhood, which is called Belmont Hillsboro. That's the area where you would want to start out. Hotels go for as much as 600 a night it's insane I highly recommend Airbnb for Nashvile, the options are amazing! Some people live in airbnbs for a while since buying here right now is really tough, zero inventory except 500k and up. Hope that helps. Message me if you like.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:21 PM

192 posts, read 257,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTFan View Post
Murfreesboro would work for you I would think. It is a city of about 135,000 so it definitely has all your day to day needs. It is just 30 miles away from downtown Nashville via I24, so its easy to get to Nashville for pro sports, concerts, etc.
Do not listen to this insane advice. You move to Nashville to live in...Nashville. You can still find cheap places here in nice areas, and many people own guns. Just ask if it's ok to do so. Consider the room in a large house thing, many rooms come with a private bathroom, and many roommates are gone long periods if they are musicans or another IT person, so consider that. You live in Murfreesburo if your life is going to be there. The commute is so awful and I-24 is such hell, it wasnt manageable 13 years ago. I've been here that long, and to MF exactly ONCE, to a pet store. It is INSANE there, a madhouse with the University and the growth. My neighbor commutes there every day against the main rush and HATES it, the only reason he tolerates it is he has one of those cushy 250k a year jobs, so he's rich and can live in town and afford the lost time sitting in his luxery car. I couldnt do that. I commute to Accurate Auto in Smryna and that's as far as I want to go, I 24 SUCKS!

Old 03-01-2019, 05:56 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
I think you really need to lay out your business ideas in a tech-oriented forum, see how viable they are, then figure out where to live based on industry expertise. You're trying to ram in cost as the primary determinant - long term, you need to be in the best available areas for what you are trying to do for whatever business you are trying to build. I wouldn't live in Nashville if I was trying to build a business with oil and gas customers.

I've lived in metros as large as Nashville, spent a lot of time in metro Boston for business, lived in two smaller metros other than my hometown, have worked for a retail bank/investment bank vendor/pension fund provider/chemical company/hospital organization/small manufacturer/defense contractor in numerous IT roles, and I can't figure out what you want.

Personally, I think your plan is seriously flawed. Essentially bailing out and hunkering down while learning something new over a few years is not the way to get ahead in tech. Hiring managers will want to know why you bailed out. You need to remain continuously employed and exposed to new technologies and methodologies. You're wanting to be self-employed and are imposing all these contingencies about why you can't do a traditional job, but the fact is you don't have enough money to bail out for the very long term, or you wouldn't be doing all this quibbling over costs.

I work for a regional hospital system on the other end of Tennessee in a very low cost area. Locally, I'm top 10%-15% income among single income earners as an individual contributor. With bonus this year, I should gross about $65k. I rarely work more than forty hours. Some of my teammates are workaholics. I'm not that way. I give my internal customers a burner number, which I have the app auto-routed to a voicemail after 5.

I think your decisions need to go way, way beyond making decisions between cities based on a couple hundred bucks difference in rent.
I agree.

To take a year to learn how to interview?

Old 03-01-2019, 09:23 AM

367 posts, read 585,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelhound View Post
Do not listen to this insane advice. You move to Nashville to live in...Nashville. You can still find cheap places here in nice areas, and many people own guns. Just ask if it's ok to do so. Consider the room in a large house thing, many rooms come with a private bathroom, and many roommates are gone long periods if they are musicans or another IT person, so consider that. You live in Murfreesburo if your life is going to be there. The commute is so awful and I-24 is such hell, it wasnt manageable 13 years ago. I've been here that long, and to MF exactly ONCE, to a pet store. It is INSANE there, a madhouse with the University and the growth. My neighbor commutes there every day against the main rush and HATES it, the only reason he tolerates it is he has one of those cushy 250k a year jobs, so he's rich and can live in town and afford the lost time sitting in his luxery car. I couldnt do that. I commute to Accurate Auto in Smryna and that's as far as I want to go, I 24 SUCKS!
Did you even read his post??? He already said he didn't want a roommate and that he was going to be working on a venture from home, so the commute will not be an issue. He also specifically asked about Murfreesboro, which is more affordable than Nashville. I am not sure he is looking for the "Nashville" experience. He just wants to live relatively close to Nashville in a nice affordable area, which Murfreesboro is.

Your advice is insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville