U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2019, 07:42 AM

66 posts, read 82,740 times

Advertisements

I apologize for being a little all over the place in these forums, but now I have an interview in Nashville (was planning more on Knoxville or Tri-Cities area originally) and it's looking like it might be a pretty sure thing. And the salary is way more than I was expecting. We'd want to live in a more rural area (I'm probably okay with up to an hour commute...it can't be any worse than what I've done for the past 9 years in the NJ metro area).

I don't know why I'm so fixated on this, but for some reason I'm always checking out the car registration/wheel tax costs. (Probably because it's all one price in NJ, so I guess it's just interesting that it varies by county in TN.) In eastern TN, there seem to be more places where it's just the $29 with no wheel tax. But in the counties surrounding Nashville, there seem to be more costs involved (which makes sense, since it's such a booming area...it makes sense the counties would want to capitalize on that).

You can't always seem to readily find the costs online, but I just looked up Robertson County, and they do have theirs posted, and it's like $120 for a regular car (that's almost 3 times what I pay in NJ). So I'm just curious if there are any counties surrounding Nashville that don't have ridiculous car registration costs (and also if anyone knows what the costs are for the various counties, like Sumner, Smith, Rutherford, etc. -- as I mentioned, many counties don't seem to post it on their websites). Maybe it's just a trade-off in some ways because the property taxes are so low the further out you go?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 09:39 AM

3,809 posts, read 7,509,472 times
I just paid Sumner County for tags and it was $87 I think, plus a small online transaction fee. And, at least for another year or so, there is also a fee for emissions testing which is $9. (edit: Emissions testing is scheduled to end in 2019 for a handful of counties in the state so your mileage may vary depending on where you end up)

We lived in Wilson about 10 years ago and though I can't recall what the wheel tax was, I recall it being significantly lower than Sumner's. Though that could have changed (and probably has).

I think you're right...wheel taxes seem to be higher in this area than other parts of the country. Could be because of the property tax issue you mentioned. It's also a tradeoff for not having toll roads in the state.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:41 AM

12,543 posts, read 35,008,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemaine View Post
I apologize for being a little all over the place in these forums, but now I have an interview in Nashville (was planning more on Knoxville or Tri-Cities area originally) and it's looking like it might be a pretty sure thing. And the salary is way more than I was expecting. We'd want to live in a more rural area (I'm probably okay with up to an hour commute...it can't be any worse than what I've done for the past 9 years in the NJ metro area).

I don't know why I'm so fixated on this, but for some reason I'm always checking out the car registration/wheel tax costs. (Probably because it's all one price in NJ, so I guess it's just interesting that it varies by county in TN.) In eastern TN, there seem to be more places where it's just the $29 with no wheel tax. But in the counties surrounding Nashville, there seem to be more costs involved (which makes sense, since it's such a booming area...it makes sense the counties would want to capitalize on that).

You can't always seem to readily find the costs online, but I just looked up Robertson County, and they do have theirs posted, and it's like $120 for a regular car (that's almost 3 times what I pay in NJ). So I'm just curious if there are any counties surrounding Nashville that don't have ridiculous car registration costs (and also if anyone knows what the costs are for the various counties, like Sumner, Smith, Rutherford, etc. -- as I mentioned, many counties don't seem to post it on their websites). Maybe it's just a trade-off in some ways because the property taxes are so low the further out you go?
Where in Nashville will your job be? I live in the far western edge of Putnam County and work in East Nashville. It takes me 50 minutes to get to work. Car registration fees in Putnam County are a flat $29/year, no wheel taxes and no emissions testing fees.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession

Old 03-08-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post
I just paid Sumner County for tags and it was $87 I think, plus a small online transaction fee. And, at least for another year or so, there is also a fee for emissions testing which is $9. (edit: Emissions testing is scheduled to end in 2019 for a handful of counties in the state so your mileage may vary depending on where you end up)

We lived in Wilson about 10 years ago and though I can't recall what the wheel tax was, I recall it being significantly lower than Sumner's. Though that could have changed (and probably has).

I think you're right...wheel taxes seem to be higher in this area than other parts of the country. Could be because of the property tax issue you mentioned. It's also a tradeoff for not having toll roads in the state.
Thank you for the info! Good point about no tolls. Coming from NJ, it would be awesome to have no tolls. We had an EZPass issue last month and I can't wait to be free of them (typical, terribly-run NJ government agency).

Old 03-08-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Where in Nashville will your job be? I live in the far western edge of Putnam County and work in East Nashville. It takes me 50 minutes to get to work. Car registration fees in Putnam County are a flat $29/year, no wheel taxes and no emissions testing fees.
Thank you for the info about Putnam County! And appreciate you sharing your commute time. I've been trying to check Google maps during rush hour for various areas to get a sense.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:54 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,223,346 times
You will find the metro counties and counties with "moving on up" big population have the most and biggest vehicle impact fees.

I live in Bedford County -- it's the same as Putnam. $29 tag fees with nothing else. Bedford County has talked about a wheel tax for quite a few years but it hasn't happened yet.

We are an Ag County, with our northerly border against Rutherford County (Murfreesboro).

Depending which side of Nashville your job offer is on, Marshall or Maury counties MIGHT be considerations. I don't know what their vehicle fees are, so I say MIGHT

I know of a couple people who bought nice 5-10 acre tracts near me on the southerly end of Bedford County, with homes on them, and eventually sold out because the 65-70 mile drive to Nashville was a daily headbanger. Get caught up in one good accident getting onto I-24 or on I-24 and you've lost all your driving lead time.

I suspect the salary offering in Nashville was higher than you expected because COLA in and around Nashville has shot thru the outer stratosphere.

Best wishes and good luck, whatever you decide

Old 03-08-2019, 02:53 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,703,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonCorleone View Post

I live in Mt Juliet and I want to say Wilson county is maybe $49. I might be getting that wrong though because I have a Preds license plate that costs more so my numbers may be off.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:39 PM

49,990 posts, read 49,455,451 times
Wilson County info:
https://wilsoncountyclerk.com/motor-vehicles/
Emissions is $9
Mail-in registration is $56.

Sumner County info:
https://www.sumnertags.com/getdoc/6a...c44aa6/renewal
Emissions is $9
$82 registration by mail

Rutherford County info:
Rutherford County TN
$81.50 registration plus a couple dollars extra if it's by mail.

Williamson County info:
https://www.williamsoncounty-tn.gov/166/Motor-Vehicles
New registration is $65.75 which includes regular auto license plate, title, and wheel tax
Emissions is $9.

Maury County info
Maury County, TN : Motor Vehicle
Registration is $65.
I don't think they require emissions.

You can get a rural feel without going very far out in the ring counties around Nashville.

Old 03-10-2019, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Wilson County info:
https://wilsoncountyclerk.com/motor-vehicles/
Emissions is $9
Mail-in registration is $56.

Sumner County info:
https://www.sumnertags.com/getdoc/6a...c44aa6/renewal
Emissions is $9
$82 registration by mail

Rutherford County info:
Rutherford County TN
$81.50 registration plus a couple dollars extra if it's by mail.

Williamson County info:
https://www.williamsoncounty-tn.gov/166/Motor-Vehicles
New registration is $65.75 which includes regular auto license plate, title, and wheel tax
Emissions is $9.

Maury County info
Maury County, TN : Motor Vehicle
Registration is $65.
I don't think they require emissions.

You can get a rural feel without going very far out in the ring counties around Nashville.
This is very helpful...thank you so much for typing all of this out! And thanks for the tip about not having to necessarily go too far out. Appreciate the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville