Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2019, 07:27 PM

4 posts, read 2,585 times

Advertisements

We're moving to MJ in a couple of months from Illinois and bringing my elderly mom with. Looking for reviews on Assisted Living communities nearby. We're planning on visiting her daily, so nearby is great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2019, 12:45 AM

306 posts, read 546,148 times
I don't know much about the ones in Mt Juliet, apart from the Maristone, but I used to work at their location in Franklin and it was a good place, however I've not worked at the one in Mt Juliet. My suggestion is for you to go there with your mom and visit each facility, and have lunch there with the other residents (everyone offers a free lunch the first time, some more than once).

If you were open to other locations, I'd suggest touring the ALFs in Franklin. There are MANY, and they are all very competitive in pricing, in the services they provide, etc. I'd suggest the same for those facilities as well - tour them, and then have lunch at every single one, preferably unannounced. My reason for suggesting that you do that unannounced is that a good place will accommodate you, and their meals will be good, no matter what day you're visiting. Also try to make your visits on days apart from Fri - Sunday as those are the days when families are not there as often, and the meals are not always as good as the weekend meals. Also, you want to check on how staff respond to you, to your mom and if you are made to feel welcome even when staff are not expecting you there.

Be sure to ask if the price includes "everything" or are things like medication administration and briefs (diapers) an additional cost. Also be sure to ask what happens if your mom gets worse, and maybe needs memory care services. Does the facility have that as well? Or if she needs something at a Skilled facility instead (where she'd have to be transferred to Skilled for a few days to several weeks). Will they keep her bed open at the ALF? Will you still have to pay? What if she's in the hospital? Will her "bed" be kept open until she returns? What are the terms?

If your mom has a pet, or is a smoker, clarify those things too. Also check on outings and doctors visits. Is there an additional cost? Will the facility take her, etc (it's OK if they won't as many will have a doctor on call, but you need to know that ahead of time).

I wish you all the best.

Last edited by veg-gal; 04-07-2019 at 01:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
View detailed profiles of: