U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 03:59 PM

65 posts, read 50,168 times

Advertisements

All,
We're considering Tennessee (Nashville area) as our retirement destination in a few years. However, in my research I'm finding that a quiet, smallish (about 40,000) population with leafy streets and new construction might not exist in the Nashville suburbs. Can someone please either disagree with me and share some ideas for suburbs, or, affirm my dead-end searches for a bucolic suburb with green space (but close to medical care/upscale shopping centers/etc.)? Thank you in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 08:01 PM

291 posts, read 393,663 times
Franklin?

Old 05-14-2019, 08:27 PM

6,616 posts, read 11,674,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfdigregorio View Post
All,
We're considering Tennessee (Nashville area) as our retirement destination in a few years. However, in my research I'm finding that a quiet, smallish (about 40,000) population with leafy streets and new construction might not exist in the Nashville suburbs. Can someone please either disagree with me and share some ideas for suburbs, or, affirm my dead-end searches for a bucolic suburb with green space (but close to medical care/upscale shopping centers/etc.)? Thank you in advance.
Well there's plenty of new construction in Nashville's suburbs, so that can't be the issue itself...

A population of ~40,000 would only eliminate a couple of the larger burbs (and I suppose might eliminate some of the smaller up-and-comers). Although I would argue that population can be pretty deceptive, depending on the age and layout of the city (ex - a lot of people don't think of Franklin as a large suburb, because it has a small town downtown, despite the fact that the city is pushing 80k people).

The major suburban counties (Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Sumner) all have medical care/hospitals/emergency rooms, as well as shopping. Upscale shopping means what to you? I would say shopping is adequate for most in all of the counties listed, but the only one with any real number of higher end stores would be Williamson County (Brentwood, Franklin, Spring Hill, Nolensville, etc).

One thing that is difficult about your requirements is that some of them are mutually exclusive...(well, kind of). Smallish and quiet, with leafy streets and green space (sounds like a mature neighborhood or town) with new construction and near to medical care and upscale shopping centers (something that seems to be more concentrated in more bustling, high growth areas).

The major thing you have not mentioned is budget. The area that I think fits the most requirements is Williamson County, perhaps on the fringes of current development. But if your budget is, say, $350k, then you'll have a hard time making that work.

It might be helpful to prioritize your list of wants. That might help narrow the search.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:08 AM

Thank you, Nashvols.
You're right - I should've provided a few more details in terms of criteria.
When we retire in a few years, we'll be in our mid-50s (no kids), and looking to stay active.
We currently live in St. Louis and want to:
1. Get away from typical big-city issues (excessive violent crime, litter, lots of homelessness, etc.), hence my desire for a smallish suburb.
2. Pay less income tax, as my husband will have a decent pension upon retirement.
3. Settle in a small neighborhood/subdivision with access to restaurants, gym, etc. nearby. We don't mind driving a few miles for an urgent care center or a Target...just not too keen on seeing those commercial buildings around the corner from my house.
4. Find a newish house in the $450,000-525,000 range (lawn maintenance and other amenities would be nice); we're not big-house people, so we prefer 2-3 bedrooms, but with high-end finishes.
5. Possibly find an active adult community with amenities (not an assisted living or nursing facility).

I've read about suburbs like Franklin that have already outgrown their infrastructure. That doesn't sound like a fit for us (at least on paper). Would Thompson's Station be a good place to look into? Did I read that they have sewer issues? I've also heard/read good things about Nolensville...thoughts?

Again, thank you for taking the time to reply to my inquiry. The search for the unicorn in Nashville continues!

Old 05-15-2019, 08:52 AM

3,717 posts, read 6,175,304 times
Just wanted to mention that things can change a LOT in “a few years” in this area. Trust me . . . .

Old 05-15-2019, 09:19 AM

49,990 posts, read 49,418,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl2b= View Post
Just wanted to mention that things can change a LOT in “a few years” in this area. Trust me . . . .
Absolutely.

And almost every place around here has "outgrown its infrastructure," but the cities are responding and keeping up. Water and sewer are fine. Roads are the most pressing concern, but that's the case all over Middle Tennessee so ….

Brentwood's population is right at 44,000 but the median price point there is about double your target zone. You can find what you're looking for in Franklin. The whole town itself won't be the perfect suburb, but you can find plenty of subdivisions that are as you described with the amenities you seek within driving distance.

You just need a good realtor.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:43 AM

Thank you, all.
Good point about how things can change in a few years' time...will definitely keep that in mind as we continue our research.
Also - I agree there is no perfect suburb - anywhere. It's all about trade-offs, so Franklin or other similar town just might be a viable choice.
Appreciate you sharing your perspectives.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:50 AM

3,717 posts, read 6,175,304 times
Check out the Westhaven subdivision in Franklin. Not small but you can walk to a grocery store and a couple of restaurants. And they are still building. Active community. Might be in your price range. But might NOT be “in a few years”. Depending on your definition of “few”.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:04 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,798,825 times
From your description, Franklin's probably too big for you. You should look at Gallatin. It's right at 40k.. has an old style town square with some residential radiating from there. Plus, there are new neighborhoods of all types being built all around it. Look at Fairview Plantation. They even have cottages for retirees. Also has lake access. Plus, the cost of living should be less than Franklin/Williamson.

Alternatives to look at, Mt. Juliet, but it's a lot newer than Gallatin. It's location is better for commuting to Nashville's downtown and airport. Fairview is a smaller option west of the city. There is a Del Webb community in Mt. Juliet. Dickson may check off most/all of your boxes. Population is smaller than you're seeking, but Dickson County has over 50K residents and it's growing quite fast. As the county seat, it has the typical old town center that you'll find throughout Tennessee.

Finally, you may want to look at Spring Hill and Columbia. If you don't need to commute daily to downtown Nashville, they may be worth a closer look for you.

I don't think you'll find what you're looking for in Smyrna, Lavergne or Murfreesboro (the latter is too big), and I-24 (like I-65) south of downtown has horrendous traffic.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:29 AM

Thank you, CountryGirl2b and Shinestx...good suggestions! I'll definitely look into these spots.
Is a majority of the suburban growth (sprawl) south and west of Nashville proper, or is there development happening north of the city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville