U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 10:18 PM

101 posts, read 263,301 times

Advertisements

Buzzcam- Too funny! When I went to the tennessean.com this morning they had similar reviews of the quake. I didn't feel a thing and nothing in my house shook or was out of place this morning. The comments have really been quite dramatic I think. Like you said some people are acting like it happened right below Nashville.

I did actually feel a tremor about a month ago while standing in the bathroom. I bent down to pick something up and sort of felt this small wave like feeling. I looked at the toilet and the water was shaking. My husband didn't feel it, but he was lying down. I checked the earthquake report thingy and a small one did happen on the New Madrid fault. Felt another tremor about 2 years ago too.

Ok, there are my 'quake' stories..lol. My husband was in the Northridge quake though in LA..that's always an interesting story to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2008, 02:56 AM

66 posts, read 183,213 times
I live in Gallatin. I was awake at 4:40 am sitting at my computer desk in the kitchen when my kitchen cabinet doors starting slightly opening and closing and the the lamp on my computer desk started moving back and forth. I thought, "So, this is what an earthquake feels like." It's the first one I've ever experienced.

Old 04-19-2008, 03:26 PM

109 posts, read 285,524 times
I'm glad I slept through this. I live alone and that scares me enough as is. If I had been awake and started seeing my table shaking and the cabinets opening, earthquake would not have been the first thing on my mind and I would have been scared as heck.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:59 PM

1,919 posts, read 4,012,084 times
I was working all night. I didn't feel a thing.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:04 PM

3,853 posts, read 6,995,694 times
We were in the Loma Prieta quake (SF) in 1989, so we found the coverage of this one to be hilarious.

If most Nashvillians didn't even feel it, why was it the lead story??

Old 04-20-2008, 05:13 PM

6,291 posts, read 15,856,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akm4 View Post
We were in the Loma Prieta quake (SF) in 1989, so we found the coverage of this one to be hilarious.

If most Nashvillians didn't even feel it, why was it the lead story??
It's the news business! ;-)

One time last year they had predicted possible tornadoes. I think that night there was a storm, but not much of one. The next morning I watched the TV news. They had sent a reporter out somewhere. I guess he couldn't really find any damage, so there on the live newscast he pointed to a small, dead tree limb on the ground as proof of the "possible tornado". That was it . . . a tree limb. Then the cameraman zooms in for a close up of the limb in question.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:21 PM

290 posts, read 724,154 times
Channel 2 sent a reporter out to interview someone for a live report, I think in Hendersonville, who "experienced" the earthquake. There she was standing in front of her undamaged house telling about the earthquake. At least, they could of thrown a few bricks or tree branches on the ground behind her to add drama to the story

Last edited by BuzzCam; 04-20-2008 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: Clarify the interview was live not taped

Old 04-20-2008, 05:28 PM

6,291 posts, read 15,856,211 times
When my brother and I both lived at home with our parents there was a very small earthquake in Missouri or somewhere. I didn't even feel that one but my mother did.

There was a back stairwell at my parent's house where you could go from the basement all the way to the unfinished attic. My brother would go outside, then go to the basement and up the stairs to the attic. If he straddled a couple of ceiling joists and jumped around a bit the whole house would shake and rattle.

I would in the kitchen with dear old mom and he would create the "earthquake". I would then yell to mom, "It's a earthquake! It's a earthquake! We're all going to die!" Mom would believe there actually was another quake. ;-)

I bet mom misses us.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:54 AM

4 posts, read 5,898 times
Default earthquake

I felt it in Dickson around 5:00 am this morning.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:58 AM

4 posts, read 5,898 times
Default earthquake

oops! I wasn't looking at the dates.
Did anyone else feel the earthquake this morning around 5o am or was I dreaming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville