U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 07:26 PM

6,666 posts, read 12,512,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by misplaced yankee View Post
BirdieBell, thanks for your response.

I'm not concerned over single people or soccer moms, not sure why you'd think that- as I mentioned, I'm not looking to live in an area that's dominated by young people ("young" to me is early 20's) partying.

So really my question is more about the age demographics of these two neighborhoods, info that is not available when you're on a tour. I'd like to know more from people that live there, hopefully.

Since the commute is only part-time, I'm not super worried about it. If it was 5x a week I'd be rethinking.
I don't think either area is 'dominated' by young people, but I'll give my two cents.

I can see why someone could be drawn to both neighborhoods, even if they are quite a bit different. So let's do a little compare and contrast.

12 South primarily refers to the commercial district on 12th Ave South roughly between Linden Ave and Kirkwood Ave. 7ish blocks. There are several bars, restaurants, and coffee shops, but also some boutiques and assorted retail. I think the boutiques (as well as some stupid instagram murals) definitely draw a strong tourist crowd compared to Germantown. Most apartment developments in this area are relatively new and are actually north of the main commercial strip -- around Wedgewood Ave. The rest of the 12 South area is dominated by single family homes. Another important thing to note is that the neighborhood is adjacent to Belmont University, so there is definitely a good bit of college traffic in that area. It's not dominated by it, but you definitely feel it. Vanderbilt is also not far away. In terms of the actual residents living there, since it's dominated by single family homes, the prices are pretty steep, and the average age probably doesn't reflect who you see walking up and down the commercial strip on a regular basis. I will say that I do see a decent number of parents of young kids, pushing strollers, as well as younger people walking dogs.

Germantown is definitely more urban in feel. The interesting thing you find there are industrial properties and warehouses right in the middle of the neighborhood -- but those are rapidly disappearing due to the skyrocketing land values. So parts of Germantown (especially on the east side, towards the river) don't really feel like a cohesive residential neighborhood. But again, that's rapidly changing. It's an interesting mix of older, single family homes, luxury townhomes, modern homes, and large apartment blocks. What I think sets it apart from a lot of neighborhoods is its restaurant scene. I don't think there's another neighborhood in Nashville that packs as many good restaurants in a small geographic area. Not really fancy or pretentious restaurants, either. A lot of quality and a good variety. I think the main knock on Germantown would be general shopping. The essentials are covered with a Kroger (and now a Publix) nearby, but 12 South is a lot closer to a much greater variety of retail -- most notably the Green Hills area.

And just to give you my perspective -- I'm a 34 year old guy with no kids -- I would choose Germantown 8 days a week.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 08:55 PM

49,928 posts, read 54,834,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post

The other thing is that the business and restaurant area isn’t as concentrated (unlike 12 South) so it doesn’t seem as crowded and crazy.
I think this is a good distinction.

12 South has had more (or at least more publicized) friction between homeowners and the commercial area. I have two good friends who own homes there, and while they like being close to the businesses, they don't like the fact that it makes their neighborhood more crowded and busy with vehicle traffic. They note that street parking around their houses is always taken up by visitor vehicles, etc.

Quote:
So really my question is more about the age demographics of these two neighborhoods, info that is not available when you're on a tour. I'd like to know more from people that live there, hopefully.
12 South also tends to have more of a family-oriented demographic, partly due to its zoned schools, which score higher than those in Germantown.

Old 01-21-2020, 03:50 AM

2,421 posts, read 5,173,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey_Hey View Post
Yeah....but it’s in Brentwood (I say that as a northern Wilco resident). If I’m single and can choose between Germantown/12South and Brentwood, I’m choosing Germantown or 12South every single time (before living in Williamson I lived near 12South).
this time 100. I would never live in Brentwood if single and no kids. The only reason to live in Brentwoods is for the schools.

Old 01-21-2020, 05:54 AM

49,928 posts, read 54,834,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by septimus View Post
this time 100. I would never live in Brentwood if single and no kids. The only reason to live in Brentwoods is for the schools.
This is uncharacteristically ignorant coming from you. Sounds like bias.

There’s lots of reasons to live in Brentwood:

1) safety - you can walk around at night
2) lower property taxes than Nashville
3) high property values
4) responsive government services
5) locally owned businesses
6) quick drive to Nashville or Franklin
7) walkable “downtown“ residential

Good luck in your search OP!

Old 01-21-2020, 08:06 AM

71 posts, read 71,601 times
OP, I'm a 31F with no kids. Germantown over 12 South every day of the week. Far fewer tourists in Germantown than in 12 South if you want to avoid a greater number of the bachelorette parties that take over the city from March-October. I also personally feel the restaurants are better in Germantown. My favorite restaurant in the city, Henrietta Red, is in Germantown, along with spots like City House, Rolf & Daughters, Tailor, etc.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:37 AM

1,016 posts, read 1,291,657 times
I'd take Germantown over 12 South, as it has a bit more to do, is closer to other fun areas, and has better freeway access, which likely mitigates it being farther north.

Another good area to look at is Music Row, which will put you close to Midtown, the Gulch, and Hillsboro Village, but its actually a pretty quiet area (away from the bars on Demonbreun). The Morris, Note 16, Artisan, and Millennium Music Row all look really nice.

Old 01-21-2020, 01:02 PM

16 posts, read 39,846 times
Thank you for all the replies! All said, I'd choose Germantown given the above and my overall vibe. I'm working with an apartment locator service so fingers crossed for a good outcome!

Old 01-21-2020, 01:04 PM

813 posts, read 1,926,803 times
Quote:
Hi there,

I’ve just returned from a trip to Nashville, scoping out a job opportunity.

I stayed with a friend in 12 South and toured an apartment building there, as well as 3 in Germantown. I liked both areas; I am reading that 12 South is popular for college aged- not something I observed while there. I don’t want to end up in a building where there are young folks partying. Obviously fair housing law does not allow the buildings to disclose the age range of their residents.

I am 38F, single, looking for an area where I can walk to a coffee shop or two, maybe a yoga studio, cool restaurants, but crazy nightlife not needed or desired.

Rent wise, it seems $1600-1800 is realistic, which is more than I’ve ever paid to live somewhere, but not unachievable given my salary range.

Commute: I would be commuting to Franklin about 3 days a week. Although Germantown is further north, I’m wondering if the difference in commute time or route is a huge factor.

Thanks for any input!
I would choose Germantown with the criteria that you've given. 12South skews a bit younger and feels a bit more raucous to me with the colleges nearby and everything consolidated on 12th Avenue.

Have you considered Melrose/8th Avenue as well?

Old 01-22-2020, 04:19 AM

2,421 posts, read 5,173,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
This is uncharacteristically ignorant coming from you. Sounds like bias.

There’s lots of reasons to live in Brentwood:

1) safety - you can walk around at night
2) lower property taxes than Nashville
3) high property values
4) responsive government services
5) locally owned businesses
6) quick drive to Nashville or Franklin
7) walkable “downtown“ residential

Good luck in your search OP!
1) I would never walk at night in Brentwood. There are no sidewalks and it isn't safe
2) Willco is about to see a lot of large property taxes to pay for services because of growth.
3) property values in 12S are higher per sq ft than Brentwood
4) Brentwood doesn't even have trash pick up, how is that responsive services? So let's add the cost of weekly trash pick up to the tax bill to compare true costs.
5)The neighborhoods of Nashville have lots of locally owned business if not more... most of the new business going in Brentwood are chains or franchises.
6)By the time you get to through the Concord Road and Franklin Road congestion I think this is a wash... I live in Nashville now, I used to live in W. Franklin. My commute to work in cool springs is shorter now.
7) what neighborhood in Brentwood is walkable? One acre lots is the antithesis to walkable.

Brentwood's main draw is the schools.

At least in 12S you have sidewalks lots of restaurants, cute shops and exercise studios that are actually walkable. The zoned schools are 12S are the best in MNPS and while I don't live in 12S I'm zoned to the same middle and high school and the zoned middle school is a lot better for my kids than our zoned middle school in WCS was.

Germantown has a lot of benefits of 12S too (just not the school zones) and the added proximity to downtown

There is a place and a demographic for Brentwood, but it isn't a single lady. Years ago when I was dating in Boston, if someone wasn't on the Red Line or Green Line I considered them geographically undesirable. She is more likely to find a co-hort in Nashville than in the burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville