U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 07:28 AM

39 posts, read 121,933 times

Advertisements

We are moving to northeast Nashville this summer and I am planning on spending a lot of time establishing our yard. I'm looking for a quality nursery/gardening center that has lots of variety and good prices.

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 11:57 AM

39 posts, read 121,933 times
Wow, no good nurseries in Nashville? I think I know what my new career should be

I'm also looking for a nursery that would draw up plans for you for a small fee and then I would do the work myself.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:12 PM

100 posts, read 301,063 times
Default This is not really what you are asking for but maybe a place to start

Lowes has a good book called Kentucky and Tennessee gardening. It tells you what grows well here, when it blooms, and how to take care of it. It has helped me identify certain trees I have seen around here and like. Plus it gives you a monthly to-do list to keep your garden/houseplants healthy. Something someone with an anti-green thumb like me needs.

The only experience I have had with buying plants so far (other than Home Depot) is at the flea market in Lebanon. They had several nurseries there selling misc plants and trees for really good prices. By Saturday afternoon alot of the plant places had sold out of their unique stuff so I would go early. You may be able to talk with the owners and get an idea of where their main nurseries are located.

They also had a couple of decent cement places. We got a couple of cute bird baths.

The rest of it is kinda junky but worth checking out on a Saturday if you want some plants/trees/fresh fruit/or small animals (chickens,rabbits, puppies, etc). For those who moved here from San Diego or L.A. do not expect a Kobys/LA County swap meet type thing. You will be disappointed.

Directions from Nashville--Take Hwy 40E to exit 238 Lebanon/Hwy 231, turn right it is about 6 miles on the left. Just follow the signs to Cedars of Lebanon state park.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:37 PM

597 posts, read 1,758,510 times
Good nurseries abound all over town and beyond. You'll have no trouble finding what you need. I plant and maintain more than one human being should ever be responsible for. I avoid Home Depot or Lowe's for plant material as they are overpriced and the plants are often root-bound and unhealthy. There are exceptions, so going to look certainly should be in the mix.

What exactly are you referring to with regard to Northeast Nashville?

The Farmer's Market downtown is an ideal location with an enormous mix of vendors and plants. It's also my favorite haunt any time of the year.

Don't bother with flea markets; you can do so much better especially if you're serious about your landscape. After the bones of your landscape are established, then flea markets and other places should come into play. But for now, use serious nurseries for a serious project.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:48 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,883,769 times
Okay, please don't laugh at me...okay, you CAN laugh at me..... I am very seriously into landscaping, yard work etc... and I have had really good results with items, supplies etc... from Walmart. Yes, Walmart.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:59 PM

Ah, yes, I forgot about Walmart. Great for supplies.

Mary, just look around till you find what places you really like. I even take Saturday trips to surrounding areas. Places around McMinnville, Sparta, Shelbyville...with plesant names like Mary's Greenhouse are always fun. Then there's my annual trip to the day lily farm outside McMinnville. Planting is a great hobby. And sure beats a treadmill.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:05 PM

100 posts, read 301,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngleDave View Post
Then there's my annual trip to the day lily farm outside McMinnville. Planting is a great hobby. And sure beats a treadmill.
Oooo--day lilies??? We had those in Georgia and I loved them. My husband was saying the other day we needed to check how well they do here. Where is the day lily farm? Do you have to replant them every year here?

Also I noticed alot of hibiscus trees at the flea market. How do those do here? Does the winter kill them off or will they re-bloom. I liked those alot but could never get them to re-bloom very well at my old place--usually one little flower or two.

I did not like yard work very much in southeast Georgia because of the humidity and sand gnats but am trying to learn now that I live here. It is actually plesant to be outside.

My house has very mature trees and shrubs so all I need is some of the small pretty fill-in stuff.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:16 PM

426 posts, read 1,090,292 times
The Farmer's Market & Garden Center on Dickerson is good. Heading away from Nashville, it's a little way past the Briley intersection on the right, between Old Due West and Due West.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:42 PM

Day lilies thrive here. They like sun, don't require much care, drought resistant. I have approximately 30 varieties in my gardens and it looks like June is going to be a burst of color outside. I'll have to wear my shades, I think.

If you like day lilies. I have to recommend the Day Lily Nursery. Get a map (or Google). It's a few miles east of McMinnville (the nursery capital) in Rock Island, Tennessee. It's an amazing place. Tim, the owner, will sell 300,000 units to North Carolina, but still take time to go with you and dig a clump of what you like personally. Nicest man around. Huge clumps for $10 bucks or less (some a bit more). There's 110 acres of blooming day lilies there. You can even take your car and drive the fields. He also has many, many very large greenhouses with perennials, including a huge hosta collection. You just wander around, place your pots in the alleys, then drive around and pick them up. You pay in the shade by the huge old oak tree with a swing. It's a treat. There is a website. Just search DayLily Nursery Rock Island. Lots of pictures. You'll see what I mean about this amazing place and scenery.

As far as hibiscus go. They're tropicals and will not survive outside here below 32 degrees. You can grow them and enjoy them all summer, then take them inside, keep moderately watered (not too much though) and take them back outside in the spring after the danger of frost has passed. Great patio plants. Don't worry if the leaves fall off in the winter, they're freaked out about weather and environments this far north. But they'll come back to full glory.

Ditto the Dickerson Road Farmers Market, fiddler. What a great place that is, too. Then, there's alway Bates on White Creek Pike. They have EVERYTHING...it's huge.

Well, y'all have hit my passion button, so I better stop now.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:06 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,585,850 times
If your into it that bad. You really should shop around. The prices will vary greatly on alot of the plants and trees. If you don't just go to places like home depo or lowes. I would suggest planning a trip down to the flea markets at nashville or lebanon. And they do have a fair supply of plant vendors at the farmers market in nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville