U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2020, 09:27 PM

21 posts, read 57,475 times

Advertisements

Lately I've been tossing around the idea of moving 20 or so minutes west of Nashville. I live in the woods outside of Crossville now and the landscape around Ashland City seems very similar. I love living in the woods. It is getting overpopulated in the Crossville area and the plateau in general with no conveniences. If I'm going to deal with a bunch of traffic and long lines I'd like to at least like to live in a convenient location with plenty to do. The area west of Nashville caught my eye as it's pretty much the wilderness with the convenience of the big city 15 minutes away. And I don't have to trek up and down a mountain to get there.

My question is this.. Why is this area so overlooked? It seems perfect for someone wanting to live in the country close to the big city. Chaetham I believe is the county. Does this county have strict building codes? Bad schools? Flood plain? I'm at a loss. And the weather is better than the cold plateau as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2020, 08:43 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,798,825 times
It is very rugged terrain, and thusly never became a county with a solid agricultural base like the other larger surrounding counties around Nashville. Also it lies between Nashville and Clarksville on the Cumberland River, and thus was somewhat insignificant as a 'port' during the 1800s when those two cities were competing for prominence. Lately it has seen a rising popularity for the reasons you've discovered, as it's close to downtown, but I'd guess it's more like a half-hour to downtown now. Yes, even Cheatham County is seeing its infrastructure taxed by traffic and growth. Still, I think it's an overlooked area because it doesn't have the schools that Williamson, Wilson and Sumner have. It's also not near all the major urban amenities that are south or east of downtown, such as shopping, the airport, and major office centers outside the CBD.

Old 12-19-2020, 06:07 AM

3,793 posts, read 3,591,212 times
Also, isn’t a lot of it under The Land Trust of Tennessee control? And there’s also a big piece of it that is under the Cheetham Wildlife Management. In addition, there is a very very strong political group of farmers and landowners who have been able to keep it as is-farm land and. forests and parks. If you even found land to buy I think it would probably be very expensive. You might look in the Joelton area.

Old 12-19-2020, 06:22 PM

21 posts, read 57,475 times
Thanks for the info. The terrain around here is very steep and undulated as well. I'm on the cumberland plateau 1.5 hours east of Nashville and people build on slopes I wouldn't think are buildable. It is growing like mad here and getting expensive as well. I only paid 200k for a 3600 sqft house built in 2007 four years ago. I'm certain I can get 300K now. Maybe selling and renting till the housing market goes back down would be wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville