U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 10:44 AM

20 posts, read 48,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad fiddler View Post
Why? What are your reasons for avoiding Madison?
It is simply not one of the better parts of Metro Nashville. Not very attractive neighborhoods, many of the housing is past prime and not well-maintained, shopping is mediocre at best, Gallatin Rd. is congested and looks like a long row of unattractive strip malls. Schools in the area are not highly ranked, the crime rate is higher than other areas...in short, there are far more appealing locations in Nashville for someone to choose. I would choose closer-in East Nashville. Granted, there are some nicer neighborhoods, but overall, Madison would not be on my list as a place to call home.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:59 AM

410 posts, read 836,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
Probably the same as mine: crime, drugs, gangs, and illegals.

This isn't to say that all of Madison is awful. As I pointed out in another thread, there are some nice areas, such as Neely's Bend and North Graycroft. However, the main drag through town is awful as are most of the business districts in Madison. I like an area where I can live, shop, and play without having to worry too much about the bad elements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxfret View Post
It is simply not one of the better parts of Metro Nashville. Not very attractive neighborhoods, many of the housing is past prime and not well-maintained, shopping is mediocre at best, Gallatin Rd. is congested and looks like a long row of unattractive strip malls. Schools in the area are not highly ranked, the crime rate is higher than other areas...in short, there are far more appealing locations in Nashville for someone to choose. I would choose closer-in East Nashville. Granted, there are some nicer neighborhoods, but overall, Madison would not be on my list as a place to call home.
You haven't seen much of Madison if all you've seen is Gallatin Road.

I'm not claiming Madison is a Nashville gem, but I've pointed out before that many people who don't even live here seem to feel fully qualified to dismiss Madison as crime-ridden and chaotic, based on a drive down Gallatin Pike. That street's character is no different in Inglewood or in East Nashville, yet it isn't seen as the defining factor for either of those areas.

East Nashville's crime stats are comparable, as are Inglewood's, but only when the discussion turns to Madison is crime considered a problem.

A question: Have you lived in Nashville very long?

Old 05-09-2008, 11:43 AM

2,301 posts, read 4,290,177 times
Quote:
You haven't seen much of Madison if all you've seen is Gallatin Road.

I'm not claiming Madison is a Nashville gem, but I've pointed out before that many people who don't even live here seem to feel fully qualified to dismiss Madison as crime-ridden and chaotic, based on a drive down Gallatin Pike. That street's character is no different in Inglewood or in East Nashville, yet it isn't seen as the defining factor for either of those areas.

East Nashville's crime stats are comparable, as are Inglewood's, but only when the discussion turns to Madison is crime considered a problem.

A question: Have you lived in Nashville very long?
I don't recall ever saying on this forum that Inglewood or East Nashville are heaven compared to Madison. In fact, if you read my posts on the recent thread "Young Family Moving to Nashville," you'll see where I mentioned that I'm hesitant to recommend those two areas for a lot of the same reasons that I try to steer people away from Madison.

To answer your question, I have lived here since late 2004. I have spent plenty of time in Madison and I know that it has its good parts, which I have mentioned on here more than once. However, it is a community that I would never recommend to a family moving here from out of state as I feel it is wise to get your bearings down first before you try to pick the "good spots" in a bad area.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:54 AM

2,301 posts, read 4,290,177 times
Quote:
Pimpy, you rarely pass up a chance to badmouth Madison, so I think we're all pretty clear already about where you stand. I was more interested in why dxfret dismissed Madison out of hand.

But here's something to think about: There were as many drug violations at Hendersonville High School in 06-07 as there were at Antioch HS, more than at Stratford HS, and only a few less than at Hunters Lane. There are drugs in Hendersonville, but white kids usually get diverted into treatment, while black and Hispanic kids end up in the justice system. I've taught plenty of Hendersonville graduates, and am well aware that HHS isn't immune to the problems all high schools face.

I'm not aware of gangs in Madison, and see Hispanics working all over Hendersonville in construction and landscaping. I'm not sure how any of us can tell who's "illegal" and who isn't; besides, I've never had a problem with anyone who's not native-born.
Just because there were as many drug "violations" doesn't mean that there are near as many drugs, and you know that. More students get caught at HHS when they participate in this type of behavior because the majority of the students are good kids whom the administration actually has control over, so the bad ones stand out like a sore thumb. Unlike at Hunters Lane or Stratford, where the pregnancy rate is higher than the graduation rate and many, and many minor drug infractions go unnoticed while the staff just tries to make sure there's no bloodshed in the hallways.

Regarding the Hispanics who work on the construction sites in our booming community, I can't say for sure which are legal and which are illegal, either. However, it is a safe bet that very few, if any, of the ones who ARE illegal actually live here. Most of them are on their way out of town by 5:00 or 5:30 en route to their neighborhoods in Madison, Antioch, 37211, etc.

Last edited by Pimpy; 05-09-2008 at 12:08 PM..

Old 05-09-2008, 12:40 PM

20 posts, read 48,515 times
I think that Madison and Woodbine are quite similar neighborhoods in Metro Nashville. Both are sketchy, at best.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:51 PM

16 posts, read 73,135 times
I definetely agree with the comment about getting one's bearings before trying to guess-timate as to "good" or "bad" parts of a town; however, with our family, we would be looking to buy within 2 years or so, so I would just as soon rent affordably (i.e. cheaply) than spend all kinds of dough on a luxury apartment.
This feedback is awesome, though, because our only visit was brief, & more a business trip for our jobs than a housing search.
Keep in mind, too, when comparing neighborhoods/towns, it's all relative. For example, I'm relocating from a city that is pretty much all ghetto (congestion, noise, traffic, limited affordable housing) so any of these areas will probably seem pretty decent to me.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I don't recall ever saying on this forum that Inglewood or East Nashville are heaven compared to Madison. In fact, if you read my posts on the recent thread "Young Family Moving to Nashville," you'll see where I mentioned that I'm hesitant to recommend those two areas for a lot of the same reasons that I try to steer people away from Madison.

To answer your question, I have lived here since late 2004. I have spent plenty of time in Madison and I know that it has its good parts, which I have mentioned on here more than once. However, it is a community that I would never recommend to a family moving here from out of state as I feel it is wise to get your bearings down first before you try to pick the "good spots" in a bad area.
Again, I was asking dxfret how long s/he has lived in Nashville.

But while we're on the topic, I've lived in Nashville since 1988 -- my first apartment was near David Lipscomb, then I moved across the street from Vanderbilt, where I attended graduate school.

Then to Gallatin, where I lived for about twelve years. I'm very familiar with Hendersonville, as well.

Then to Madison, where I've been for five years.

"Not recommending" is very different than actively trashing an area, consistently saying it's full of "crime, gangs, drugs, and illegals," which you've said in the past, and again today. It's inflammatory and simply untrue.

I'm asking nicely, Pimpy. I know your heart's in the right place, but please stop with these slams against Madison.

I'm willing to call a truce, if you'll moderate your language.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Just because there were as many drug "violations" doesn't mean that there are near as many drugs, and you know that. More students get caught at HHS when they participate in this type of behavior because the majority of the students are good kids whom the administration actually has control over, so the bad ones stand out like a sore thumb. Unlike at Hunters Lane or Stratford, where the pregnancy rate is higher than the graduation rate and many, and many minor drug infractions go unnoticed while the staff just tries to make sure there's no bloodshed in the hallways.
As I said before, I teach a lot of HHS graduates. There is a problem at HHS. Feel free to ignore the statistics.

Quote:
Regarding the Hispanics who work on the construction sites in our booming community, I can't say for sure which are legal and which are illegal, either. However, it is a safe bet that very few, if any, of the ones who ARE illegal actually live here. Most of them are on their way out of town by 5:00 or 5:30 en route to their neighborhoods in Madison, Antioch, 37211, etc.
So you don't mind them working there, as long as they don't live next door.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:55 PM
kmw

25 posts, read 109,883 times
Said it before....I like living in Madison. Moved here from CA and it's the only place I've lived in the Nashville area. It's convenient and affordable. I do love lots about East Nashville, but I wouldn't trade my 1 acre yard and privacy for any area where houses are right on top of each other....the good thing is...I can be in EN in minutes...same with Hendersonville if I want to go to the lake. I work in Nashville, and my trip is much shorter than a commute from Hendersonville. I'm in a pleasant, safe neighborhood . Too many people are judging on hearsay or on parts of Madison that are nothing like many other neighborhoods. A neighbor told me that nothing "bad" has happened here in the 30 years she's lived here....so there ARE good areas and I think there are more good than bad.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:58 PM

624 posts, read 1,119,493 times
How is the area in what looks to be south of the Rivergate Mall by Coleman Lake and the Cumberland (east of rivergate pkwy/myatt). First, was that underwater a few weeks back and how is that neighborhood. How is the Rivergate Mall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville