Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2007, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,065 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I with our 2 children are planning to move to Nashville. What's the job market like? What's the Columbia area like. Any imformation will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 04:15 PM

13 posts, read 48,336 times
Why Columbia? It is kind of a hole. The services like malls, restaurants, etc., are not great. Plus, it is a very long drive to any real civilization. There is so much closer that still has a country feel if that's what you are looking for. College Grove, Thompson's Station, Arrington, Nolensville, Triune, Murfreesboro, heck even west of Nashville in Dickson is better. Lebanon is better too. I just look at a town and try and see myself doing everyday things like shopping, going to a movie, getting a bite to eat, seeing a doctor, etc.

Old 01-02-2007, 08:26 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtf1 View Post
Why Columbia? It is kind of a hole. The services like malls, restaurants, etc., are not great. Plus, it is a very long drive to any real civilization. There is so much closer that still has a country feel if that's what you are looking for. College Grove, Thompson's Station, Arrington, Nolensville, Triune, Murfreesboro, heck even west of Nashville in Dickson is better. Lebanon is better too. I just look at a town and try and see myself doing everyday things like shopping, going to a movie, getting a bite to eat, seeing a doctor, etc.
Yeah I'd have to agree. Columbia is a dive compared to other towns in Middle Tennessee. If money is an issue, I agree that Lebanon might be a better alternative. Or Gallatin. I'm not too wild about Dickson, though: crummy schools and not much there but a few strip malls.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:05 PM

11 posts, read 33,469 times
I grew up in Columbia and after several years away, I will be returning there this summer. I'm really looking forward to it. Columbia is a small town of less than 40,000. If you are looking for upscale shopping, restaurants, etc. then Franklin and Nashville are only 30-45 mins away, but for everyday living I always found Columbia to be very convenient. It is very easy to get involved in local living (schools, volunteer work, history, events), which is sometimes key to making a new town home.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:12 PM

12 posts, read 65,264 times
Columbia has had a recent problem with violence that I read about in their newspaper. Other posts on this board say that Maury County schools are not the best. The job market and pay are definitely not great, unless you work for the Maury Regional Hospital.

Maybe look at Leiper's Fork, because Williamson County is suppose to have the best schools. You can commute to a job in Franklin in 20 minutes or so. It's a very peaceful, country town with reasonable rental prices. Franklin has a very good job market.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:33 PM

625 posts, read 4,570,852 times
Columbia is not Nashville...WAY too far south to reasonably get into nashville...where are you working because that would be one HELL of a commute to nashville...i wouldnt even want to do the commute to franklin from columbia during rush hour. are you looking for a more rural feel/you want shopping/where are you working (nashville has grown to a point where you need to consider the commuting time because it can be a mess)...also, you'll need to change your screen name if you move to columbia, ha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville