Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2022, 07:15 AM

146 posts, read 154,209 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

We have been looking primarily in the Franklin/Brentwood area in relocation for work but have seen some nice listings in Mount Juliet. We don’t have to commute, and I will go to the airport occasionally. We are looking to get the kids and ourselves immersed in the community we live in as much as possible. Looking for safe areas and good schools, ok with a bit rural feel as long as amenities are near.

What does one give up in Mount Juliet? Prices seem quite a bit more reasonable..schools score nearly as well. Any downsides or concerns we should be aware of? We looked at shopping center there and distance to Whole Foods/Costco.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2022, 11:53 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlud View Post
Good morning,

We have been looking primarily in the Franklin/Brentwood area in relocation for work but have seen some nice listings in Mount Juliet. We don’t have to commute, and I will go to the airport occasionally. We are looking to get the kids and ourselves immersed in the community we live in as much as possible. Looking for safe areas and good schools, ok with a bit rural feel as long as amenities are near.

What does one give up in Mount Juliet? Prices seem quite a bit more reasonable..schools score nearly as well. Any downsides or concerns we should be aware of? We looked at shopping center there and distance to Whole Foods/Costco.

Thanks!
In MJ, stick to areas north of I-40. Schools in MJ are generally top notch, but parts of MJ, particularly south of I-40, are zoned for more mediocre schools. If you can stick to the areas zoned for Green Hill HS, you'll do just fine. Most of the areas zoned for MJHS are also good, but a few can be a little iffy ever since GHHS opened and siphoned off many of the best neighborhoods from MJHS. And that is a big difference between MJ and Brentwood/Franklin; Williamson County has excellent schools across the board, while Wilson County's best schools are concentrated in certain areas of MJ.

Shopping is also much better in Brentwood/Franklin. BJ's Wholesale Club is building a store in MJ, otherwise you'll be going to Murfreesboro for Costco and Sam's Club. No Whole Foods anywhere around MJ, either. But MJ is much more convenient to the airport.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 03-18-2022, 03:51 PM

Thank you. What about Gladeville middle and Wilson Central High School? These are the schools for one I was looking at and it’s just south of 40 near the Providence shopping area.

Old 03-20-2022, 07:51 AM

3,042 posts, read 3,310,193 times
Quote:
Good morning,

What does one give up in Mount Juliet? Prices seem quite a bit more reasonable.. schools score nearly as well. Any downsides or concerns we should be aware of? We looked at shopping center there and distance to Whole Foods/Costco.

Thanks!
From Mount Juliet you will have to drive some for Costco, Sam's Club, grocery at Whole Foods or Trader Joe. For your basic Target, Kroger, Best Buy go to Providence. For school Gladeville appears too new to rate, but Wilson Central while fine rates in the middle of Wilson County 3 high schools. You will have to look into progress in restoration from tornadoes.

From Franklin/Brentwood what you may be giving up is easy access to your make's car dealership. Not sure what you may need for car service.

What you gain is access to downtown by WeGo Star train or via I-40. I-40 allows easy access to BNA even if there is some construction there.

Old 03-20-2022, 03:32 PM

367 posts, read 584,898 times
You may want to look into Murfreesboro as well. Especially if commute is not an issue. It's a little further from Nashville but closer to Franklin/Brentwood compared to Mt Juliet. It is also larger and offers a more amenities than Mt Juliet.

Old 03-20-2022, 09:44 PM

25 posts, read 37,011 times
I'll give a perspective of somebody who moved to Mt. Juliet:

Mt. Juliet is a very nice town of about 40,000. The Providence area is where most of the shopping is located. Most people living here commute into Nashville from Mt. Juliet and the Music City Star is very handy too. Mt. Juliet is known as the "city between the lakes" as it has two large lakes to the north and south of city. Many very nice homes can be found in and around the lake in Mt. Juliet.
It is true that Green Hill HS (e.g. Mt. Juliet North) is probably the best high school to attend followed closely behind Mt. Juliet HS, which is actually only located about 3 miles from Green Hill High School. The southern portion of Mt. Juliet attends Rutland Elementary School or Gladeville Elementary School for grades K-5 - both are safe and TN reward schools based on academics and progress. I would have absolutely no problem sending either of my two children to these schools. Those two schools either feed into West Wilson Middle or Gladeville Middle. I would also have no problem sending my kids to either one of these schools. Gladeville Middle was built a few years ago and West Wilson had a portion hit by tornado so it was be completely new when construction is completed in 1-2 years. The present zoning for high schoolers in the Providence area is Wilson Central in Lebanon. Why Providence students go all the way out to I-840 is anybody's guess but I would guess that a new high school will someday be built in Providence area or Providence students will go to MJHS. In the future.

Mt. Juliet is much smaller than Franklin (80,000) or Murfreesboro (150,000) so it simply won't feature the amount of shopping those two have due to it's smaller size. However, it does have a more small town vibe than either of those two do.

Mt. Juliet certainly also getting a more upscale vibe and it's median household income will probably hit $100,000 in the next few years. Presently the median household income is about $93,000.. Home prices in Mt. Juliet range from $300,000 to several million dollars. The $300,000 houses are getting very tough to find and will typically be very small houses built in the 1970's or a townhome. Mt. Juliet is probably the closest thing to Williamson County without being Williamson County. The median household income, home prices and school rankings all back this up. Mt. Juliet was also featured in Money Magazines Top 25 best towns in America (along with Franklin).

Mt. Juliet has small but emerging downtown area that features The Incredible Christmas Place and will soon will have the Charlie Daniels Museum and more boutiques surrounding it.

It's a good place to live with similarities to Franklin but not all the ritzy yet although it's certainly trending in that direction.

Last edited by Lexusof5; 03-20-2022 at 10:05 PM..

Old 03-20-2022, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTFan View Post
You may want to look into Murfreesboro as well. Especially if commute is not an issue. It's a little further from Nashville but closer to Franklin/Brentwood compared to Mt Juliet. It is also larger and offers a more amenities than Mt Juliet.
This is actually only partly true. Murfreesboro is closer to Franklin only. Mt. Juliet is closer to Brentwood.

Mt. Juliet is roughly half the size of Franklin. Franklin is roughly half the size of Murfreesboro. Murfreesboro is 4x larger than Mt. Juliet.

Old 03-24-2022, 04:28 PM

Thank you so much for all the feedback! We didn’t like the area the house was in so held off, actually looking hard at Gallatin…going to start another three so sorry if that’s bad…

Old 03-24-2022, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much for all the feedback! We didn’t like the area the house was in so held off, actually looking hard at Gallatin…going to start another three so sorry if that’s bad…
Just curious...what neighborhood/area was the house in?

Old 03-24-2022, 09:10 PM

South of 40. Was on the edge of a nice area, house was underwhelming as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville