Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 07:40 AM

256 posts, read 888,832 times

Advertisements

When I first moved here I would have had to paid out of state and I had moved from ky.They only way they will wave it if you transfered fo a job, not for a new job or anything like that bc thats what happend to me when my husband got a new job.
k350 I am having trouble with (not really accepted) but tryiing to get everything in order, I grad from Volstate this summer and I appiled to TSU, they sent me a letter back wanting my high school transcript ( I have over 60 hours in college credit hours)
so its stressful bc my high school is six hours away, so is my previous college so its hard to get my transcripts.

Overall I have enjoyed going to volstate i have made tons of new friends and I have learned so much

I have a list of the prices for MTSU,
IN state part time 178.00 per credit hour, full time max 2029 undergrad
academic enrichmnet/remdial sutdies 101.00 per hour, full time 2,029.00
Graduate per hour 288.00 full time 2723.00
if you need to know out of stat prices.

www.mtsu.edu/bursamt (broken link) for addtional amounts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 08:25 AM

107 posts, read 267,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben52284 View Post
In general, there's no reason that you need to go to a community college first. Most schools offer plenty of introductory courses which review any material you might have forgotten since high school. Now, if you find that MTSU for example won't accept you without more coursework, then a community college could get you on track. Going to a community college could also save you a little money if you take your introductory courses there, but you need to be sure that you aren't sacrificing quality of instruction. MTSU is probably cheap enough that the money you would save by going to a community college wouldn't be worth the additional hassle. If I were you, I would probably apply to MTSU and complete a FAFSA. If they accept you, you're in good shape. If not, you can get yourself on track at a community college and then reapply to MTSU.
Thanks for the advice, Ben!!! Have a AWESOME weekend!!!

Old 05-24-2008, 08:34 AM

THANKS for all of your help everyone!!!!!

I hope everyone has a SAFE and GREAT holiday weekend!!!

Old 05-24-2008, 11:09 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bran_smith View Post
When I first moved here I would have had to paid out of state and I had moved from ky.They only way they will wave it if you transfered fo a job, not for a new job or anything like that bc thats what happend to me when my husband got a new job.
k350 I am having trouble with (not really accepted) but tryiing to get everything in order, I grad from Volstate this summer and I appiled to TSU, they sent me a letter back wanting my high school transcript ( I have over 60 hours in college credit hours)
so its stressful bc my high school is six hours away, so is my previous college so its hard to get my transcripts.

Overall I have enjoyed going to volstate i have made tons of new friends and I have learned so much

I have a list of the prices for MTSU,
IN state part time 178.00 per credit hour, full time max 2029 undergrad
academic enrichmnet/remdial sutdies 101.00 per hour, full time 2,029.00
Graduate per hour 288.00 full time 2723.00
if you need to know out of stat prices.

www.mtsu.edu/bursamt (broken link) for addtional amounts
The transcripts is what drove me crazy. I already graduated with my A.S. with 72 credits. Putting in my application they wanted my HS transcripts, why? Because they said they needed to verify I have had American history, even though I took it in college? I did not even graduate HS, dropped out in 1993 so I still never saw the point. Well, after 5 weeks they finally got it and to my surprise, the one class I did good at was American history!

The other frustrating thing was this, years ago I took one college class in psychology, it was when I was in the military so it is on my military transcripts. These people at UTK went nuts over wanting the transcript for the one class I took, nevermind it was not applicable to any degree I did or am obtaining. Because of this I missed the summer deadline for college, it took months to get that transcript in. They would not budge on enrolling me, I even drove there to talk to them and they said without that one little transcript for the one class they will not enroll me, of course they got the transcript right after the enrollment deadline and to find out (through the VA person) they have had the transcript even before the deadline date but never bothered to reveiew and process it.

I never understood why they make it such a hassle to get enrolled in college, my wife has it even harder as she is not a citizen and they want stuff from her foreign HS that is non-existent now days. Even though she is enrolled in college now and has a 4.0 through 27 credit hours, they still want her to take a language test (at $150 las if I am rich) to enroll into UTK. But we luckily got around that one by her completing the all so useful comp 2 class this summer.

But common sense would say if someone has a 4.0 gpa through 27 credit hours in college that their english is just fine.

That and a few other hassles in regards to credit transfers, etc....

Old 05-24-2008, 07:18 PM

156 posts, read 451,233 times
I have a hard time believing that in state tuition was received by showing an apartment lease and driver's license. If that were the case, I'd have no issue and would receive in state tuition with no problem at MTSU this fall.

A few things a new resident of TN can do to qualify for in state tuition at a state college involve marrying a TN resident, buying a home, working a full time job or, as stated, transferring for a job.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:29 PM

256 posts, read 888,832 times
I am trying to get into TSU edu program, bc i havent been accept to TSU yet, bc of that stupid hs transcript..and they were rude when I called them..She was like yes you need it yes, I ask if i could send on unoffical transcript until i get my others she was like no. I said look my hometown is 6 hours away, you have to realize that I cant just go there an get it. and I have my associates so why do you need it, I have had all course needed besides 2 forgein lang which I am taking my last one this summer. ( and it wasnt require when i was in school...) so I am going to apply to MTSU and austen peay i think...if i dont get in then ill go to the cooking school in nashville, thats what I was wanting to do anyways

Old 05-24-2008, 08:45 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher2Be View Post
I have a hard time believing that in state tuition was received by showing an apartment lease and driver's license. If that were the case, I'd have no issue and would receive in state tuition with no problem at MTSU this fall.

A few things a new resident of TN can do to qualify for in state tuition at a state college involve marrying a TN resident, buying a home, working a full time job or, as stated, transferring for a job.
Well, I got out of the military, got a job here in TN, then quit the job (job issues) and then went to college.

I moved here in november 2006, started school january 2007. I received in-state tution, it was at cleveland state community college.

I had to submit 2 things, my apartment lease and my drivers license for verification of in state residency, oh yes, a copy of my electric bill. My wife received the same rate and she only got to the country for the first time in november 2006.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
You don't sound stupid at all!!!!! You should be congratulated for having the drive and motivation to start college at age 30. Way to go!!!!
THANKS STEVE!!! But I am also the type of person who gets hard on myself and says that I should have done it a LONG time ago!!!

Old 05-24-2008, 09:15 PM

I have no idea what the rules were then, but unfortunately those are not the rules now. I sure wish that were the case, it would have been easier for me to qualify. Could be that caused TN to change the rules.

BTW, someone posted the tuition rates for MTSU - the rates for the 08/09 school year is not known until July, after the budget goes through. It's a pain to not know until school is just about to start, but that's how the government works

Old 05-24-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bran_smith View Post
I am trying to get into TSU edu program, bc i havent been accept to TSU yet, bc of that stupid hs transcript..and they were rude when I called them..She was like yes you need it yes, I ask if i could send on unoffical transcript until i get my others she was like no. I said look my hometown is 6 hours away, you have to realize that I cant just go there an get it. and I have my associates so why do you need it, I have had all course needed besides 2 forgein lang which I am taking my last one this summer. ( and it wasnt require when i was in school...) so I am going to apply to MTSU and austen peay i think...if i dont get in then ill go to the cooking school in nashville, thats what I was wanting to do anyways

Have you tried contacting your HS? It's possible they can just fax or mail you something to sign and send back to them. They will not give you the transcript, you just authorize them to send it on to the college/university of your choice.

Unofficial transcripts don't count unfortunately, they want the real thing I know for the college I am transferring from, I had to sign something, send it in with $5 and they sent my transcript on to MTSU.

Your HS transcript will tell them how you did in HS, yes, even if it was 1,0000 years ago like it was with me. I had to go for COMPASS testing since my ACT/SAT scores were so old, which showed what classes I needed to take and if remediation was needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville