U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-03-2008, 07:55 AM

26 posts, read 63,343 times
Question nashville music industry

im a 29-yr old songwriter moving to nashville. i write whatever genre but in a pop commercial sort of style. i can sing and perform my stuff, but im not interested in being a singer/songwriter.....and i really don't want any camera time. i just want to write stuff for other artists, movies/films, tv shows, etc. and make a living at it like anybody else. someone told me just recently that im past my prime and that im too old to want to be a songwriter now. that i should've been doing what im doing now when i was in my late teens and early twenties. so what do you guys think? am i too old to want to be in the music industry?

loco
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2008, 10:29 AM

317 posts, read 806,691 times
I don't know why someone would tell you you're too old to be a writer. You're not even 30. Now, if you're just starting to learn how to write and have never done it, that may be a different story. The one thing you have to be aware of is that there are thousands of songwriters here, so really perfecting your craft will be absolutely necessary as well as networking. It will also be important that you find other songwriters to write with, both for contacts and for the experience...keep trying to write with people better than you! You first have to have a passion to tell a story or express something that others have trouble doing...before the whole money making part. One way you can start getting to know people is at Bluebird Cafe. Go there...a lot. Go to the songwriter nights where the pros perform and also sign up for open mic nights there where you can showcase your stuff.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:32 AM

2,154 posts, read 2,191,912 times
You're not too old to be a songwriter. We have two friends in their early forties who just recently got their first publishing deals. Both had previous careers.

My husband was 27 when he signed his first deal and everyone joked that he was young. As an aside, my husband was a lot like you, more into pop and commercial stuff. He had only a little success in the Nashville country songwriting world. But, he's done well in the advertising world instead, so you may want to consider that road instead of the traditional country publishing deal.

Heck, you're not even too old to be the artist if you're interested.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:50 AM

3,537 posts, read 4,959,842 times
You are NEVER too old if you have the talent. True talent does not expire at any given age. Go for it!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville