U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 05:41 PM

162 posts, read 440,924 times

Advertisements

Yeah...that was two things I forgot. Traffic has been very minimal compared to what I'd experience in Michigan on 75 or 94.

People are also VERY nice...southern charm still does exist. I've been pleased
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 08:09 PM

3,537 posts, read 5,115,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP300 View Post
I absoultely agree. I moved from New York City, and believe it not, people are much ruder down here. Yes, people are more aggressive in NYC (i.e. pushing and shoving to get on the subway), but I've found that people in Nashville are just plain, rude. People sterotype all the time, and everyone is very subjective in their viewpoints and opinions. Unlike New Yorkers, Nashvillians are not very welcoming.
I have to agree to a certain degree with BP. People in the NY City area sound more rude, but it is just the way we talk. It is very direct, blunt and in your face but I have to say that it is NOT rude and is VERY honest. There are many people (NOT EVERYONE) in the South who turn the knife in your back while they say "bless your heart" to your face.

Last edited by Steve_TN; 06-04-2008 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 06-04-2008, 08:21 PM

2,454 posts, read 3,506,058 times
Nice People in TN

It seems that if the people in Nashville are as pleasant as virtually all of the OP's are on here, it would be a great place to live. Wish I could move tomorrow.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:24 PM

140 posts, read 429,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGreenNashville View Post
Tax - 9.25% sales tax / no state income tax

Is this a misprint?! 9.25%?!!

Old 06-04-2008, 08:26 PM

1,781 posts, read 3,314,377 times
Nope, it sure isn't. That's our sales tax rate.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:32 PM

140 posts, read 429,143 times
Why do I see 7% written in every place I look? (e.g.: State Sales Tax Rates (http://www.taxadmin.org/FTA/rate/sales.html - broken link)).

And gosh, I don't want to get into a debate about tax policy on here, but that's an insane sales tax. It doesn't matter that there's no state income tax. That's still completely insane.

Last edited by jbmill3; 06-04-2008 at 08:34 PM.. Reason: fix html tags

Old 06-04-2008, 08:51 PM

1,284 posts, read 2,103,062 times
It's worse than that in some parts of the state. The government will always get their money, it's just structured differently from state to state. The thing about sales tax though is that everyone pays it.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:56 PM

1,284 posts, read 2,103,062 times
As far as your original questions...we are moving to Franklin in July and have spent some time in Nashville and Franklin now. Everytime we've been delighted with our experiences. The traffic is heavy...for here...it's not bad when you compare it with other metropolitan areas.

I've not had experience with rude people in Nashville, but I will agree with the poster from NY's opinion that NYers are mistakenly considered rude. Their manner is more brusk but for the most part they respect that people have their own beliefs and opinions and don't force theirs down your throat.

All in all...I'm really looking forward to our move. I'm excited to get to know Nashville, although we did choose to live in Franklin. We're in our 40's and 50's and I think we're going to like it very well.

Now...if we could only find some card players for a social life!

Old 06-04-2008, 10:00 PM

9,086 posts, read 21,710,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmill3 View Post
Why do I see 7% written in every place I look? (e.g.: State Sales Tax Rates (http://www.taxadmin.org/FTA/rate/sales.html - broken link)).

And gosh, I don't want to get into a debate about tax policy on here, but that's an insane sales tax. It doesn't matter that there's no state income tax. That's still completely insane.
The state sales tax is 7%, but local governments (cities and counties) are allowed to add up to an additional 2.75%. It's a bit lower on food, and there's no sales tax on prescription drugs.

Also, if you buy directly from a farmer there's no sales tax, or at least there's not supposed to be. That's another reason to support our local farmers' markets.

And no, that is not an insane sales tax. You said you don't want to get into a debate about tax policy, but yet you criticized the sales tax. I'd much rather pay a high sales tax than pay any sort of income tax. With a sales tax you are in complete control on how much taxes you pay. If you can't afford the sales tax on a $1100 computer, buy a $1000 computer. If you can't afford the sales tax on a $3 loaf of bread, buy a $2.50 loaf of bread. Or bake your own bread. Except for politicians and a few CEOs, the rest of us can't give ourselves a pay raise to offset an income tax.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:30 PM

317 posts, read 829,685 times
Lots of people move here from LA. It's not California, but most of the people I've talked to that have come from there like the change. You are going from a very large city to a much more moderate sized one, so you can obviously expect significant differences there. And no, the traffic will be NOTHING compared to LA. Although, once you get used to living here, you will be annoyed with our traffic from time to time, quickly forgetting that you used to sit still in your car for hours every day in CA.
The major industries here for jobs are music industry, healthcare, education, manufacturing and communications. Of course there's a little bit of something for everyone...it just may be a little harder to find if it's not in those major areas.

Everyone has forgotten to tell you that we are getting a Nordstrom (FINALLY) in the next 1 1/2 year or so. So we're getting more and more in terms of major retailers, etc.

As for your anorexia question, there are certainly people here that are completely consumed with their exterior appearance, but there is no comparison between here to LA. Tons and tons of us normal folks here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville