U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:13 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,378,296 times
Default Crossing state line for purchases

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmill3 View Post

Is this a misprint?! 9.25%?!!
Do people go across the state line to make large purchases, like appliances, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 10:24 PM

3,537 posts, read 4,988,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Do people go across the state line to make large purchases, like appliances, etc.?

I'm not sure since I don't live near the state line. I personally never heard of anyone crossing the state line to make large purchases.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:27 PM

103 posts, read 214,928 times
Neither have I, although I do know that a lot of people that live near the border between KY and TN go to KY for groceries, cigarettes and gas since KY is cheaper on these items.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:23 AM

1,284 posts, read 2,050,296 times
I'm living in Memphis right now and people do go to Arkansas for groceries and some other things. However, you have to remember that it's a shorter drive to West Memphis, AR than it is across Memphis itself.

I grew up in border towns and it's not that unusual. In Michigan we crossed the border into WI for soda and beer all the time!

Old 06-05-2008, 06:24 AM

1,284 posts, read 2,050,296 times
OP...here is the url to a previous thread that may be helpful to you.

Moving from California to Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryn View Post
I'm considering a move to Nashville but want to know a bit more about the culture, the mindset, etc. Yeah, I should visit but I don't think my finances can take a move and a trip. I've moved before sight unseen and did well but I'd like at least a little insight into life in Nashville. I've been living in LA for the past 10 years so my version of reality is skewed to say the least.

Do people still smoke in resturants there? Does southern charm still exist? Do people there consider anorexia to be the "new black"? Are lane markers just a silly societal boundary keeping you from other people? When you talk about "heavy traffic" what exactly are you sayin'? I used to live in a small town that considered 5 cars on the road to be major traffic jam so I understand its all relative.

What's the life of a Nashvillian like?

Old 06-05-2008, 06:38 AM

18 posts, read 35,977 times
I have to say I found some of the southern charm a big put on. There are good people everywhere. If you go to a restaurant of course they are going to lay the charm on they want a tip. The jobs down here are low paying and some places treat employees like crap. That could be anywhere USA. But definately lower wages.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:18 PM

525 posts, read 786,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerscotty View Post
I have to say I found some of the southern charm a big put on. There are good people everywhere. If you go to a restaurant of course they are going to lay the charm on they want a tip. The jobs down here are low paying and some places treat employees like crap. That could be anywhere USA. But definately lower wages.
Lower wages, but lower cost of living. On the whole I would say the average Nashvillian has a higher standard of living than the average person living on SoCal in regards to housing.

Old 06-05-2008, 01:19 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,810,380 times
Without a doubt.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:18 PM

870 posts, read 1,562,798 times
preach on, preach on...why do you think Nissan relocated?

Old 06-05-2008, 08:32 PM

150 posts, read 210,837 times
Hi, I'm Ryn's Mom. The taxes sound great to me. We pay 8.25% sales tax in addition to the 9% income tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville