Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 11:25 PM

247 posts, read 751,346 times

Advertisements

I'm about to graduate with a degree in business and I have found careerbuilder to be completely useless for finding decent jobs.
I know of Caterpillar, Dollar General, Kirklands, Cracker Barrel, Hospital things that are irrelevant, what else is there?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 12:03 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach_B View Post
I'm about to graduate with a degree in business and I have found careerbuilder to be completely useless for finding decent jobs.
I know of Caterpillar, Dollar General, Kirklands, Cracker Barrel, Hospital things that are irrelevant, what else is there?

Why are hospital things irrelevant?

Anyway, Louisiana Pacific, Gibson guitars, and some restaurant companies (O'Charley's, Shoney's, Back Yard Burgers) are headquartered in Nashville. Bridgestone/Firestone and Nissan both have their North American headquarters in Nashville.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:01 AM

627 posts, read 1,846,575 times
What school are your graduating from?
What is your degree in?
What type of position are you looking for, as "business" is pretty broad?

Any halfway decent business school has a job placement office that helps recent grads get a position. Have you looked into that? My school had job fairs with dozens of employers looking for new hires.

Recruiters and networking is the way to get a job in the business world. I find Careerbuilder and Monster were great in getting me contacts with recruiters who get all the job leads with the big companies.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:26 AM

thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big TR View Post
What school are your graduating from?
What is your degree in?
What type of position are you looking for, as "business" is pretty broad?

Any halfway decent business school has a job placement office that helps recent grads get a position. Have you looked into that? My school had job fairs with dozens of employers looking for new hires.

Recruiters and networking is the way to get a job in the business world. I find Careerbuilder and Monster were great in getting me contacts with recruiters who get all the job leads with the big companies.
As I already said, my degree is in business. I will graduate from a college in Indiana so I don't know why that is relevant or what that has to do with Nashville. It is accredited so I guess that qualifies as "halfway decent" (or perhaps to certain people Vanderbilt is classified as "half way decent")--IDK. Our career placement center posts all the jobs they get on a Web site (and nothing looks appealing to me). Of course we had job fairs, but not with companies from far away. Which is why I asked the question. I'd like to work in Finance but I have no experience in it.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:12 AM

317 posts, read 1,231,193 times
Don't rule healthcare companies out because there are tons of "business" jobs within a healthcare company, or within any type of industry, for that matter. I know plenty of people who work in Finance for healthcare companies. You could check with some of them including: Community Health Systems, Lifepoint Hospitals, etc. I say that because healthcare is a huge part of our business here in Middle TN.

However, you can see a list of 180 companies at this link on Hoovers.
Nashville-Davidson , Murfreesboro Companies (http://www.hoovers.com/free/geo/index.xhtml?location=/United+States/TN/Nashville-Davidson--Murfreesboro,%20TN/34980 - broken link)

Old 06-12-2008, 11:57 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times
My wife has a business degree and works in healthcare in Nashville. Please, do not rule healthcare out at all. Rule it IN.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:37 PM

627 posts, read 1,846,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach_B View Post
thanks!

As I already said, my degree is in business. I will graduate from a college in Indiana so I don't know why that is relevant or what that has to do with Nashville. It is accredited so I guess that qualifies as "halfway decent" (or perhaps to certain people Vanderbilt is classified as "half way decent")--IDK. Our career placement center posts all the jobs they get on a Web site (and nothing looks appealing to me). Of course we had job fairs, but not with companies from far away. Which is why I asked the question. I'd like to work in Finance but I have no experience in it.
If you want to work in corporate finance and want to advance, you probably are going to need your CPA or MBA. It is extremely difficult to move up the food chain at big corporate America without one of these designations. There are are some people high up without either, but the bulk of employees from manager on up have one or both.

A "business" degree probably won't get you very far in the interview process. If you had a finance, accounting, economics or marketing degree, you would have a path on which to travel. Good luck.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:54 PM

933 posts, read 2,742,475 times
There's a small contigency of UBS Financial in Nashville that were originally J.C Bradford emloyees (then PaineWebber, then UBS). About 200+ in Home Office Operations (37211 area code, south Nashville), a Muni's branch on West End and a Wealth Management retail branch in Cool Springs (Franklin). The main line to the Operation building in is (615) 332-6300.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:38 PM

625 posts, read 4,571,432 times
Read the Nashville Business Journal to learn more about Nashville's business scene...it's online

Old 06-16-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big TR View Post
If you want to work in corporate finance and want to advance, you probably are going to need your CPA or MBA. It is extremely difficult to move up the food chain at big corporate America without one of these designations. There are are some people high up without either, but the bulk of employees from manager on up have one or both.

A "business" degree probably won't get you very far in the interview process. If you had a finance, accounting, economics or marketing degree, you would have a path on which to travel. Good luck.
I'm actually taking my first mba class now since I'm taking the summer "off" but I think it is much more important to get some experience in the industry before I run off and get another degree.
My concentration was in Advertising, but the only jobs I could find in marketing was sales-based (and I really like the "behind the scenes" part which is very hard to get into). So, as a result, my next favorite part of my education was finance. So, that screws me over a bit; but, my college adviser assured me that people wouldn't care since there is only a 4 class difference between my degree and a finance degree. Don't know how true that is but I guess we will see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville