U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Fellow Michiganders, relocating to Nashville area, Michigan to Tennessee transfer, pros cons regrets, bad winters, closed interstates, not many lakes in area, manmade lakes, Lake Michigan

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2008, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Port Huron, Michigan
17 posts, read 40,861 times
Reputation: 13
Smile Any fellow Michiganders out there?

I'm planning a move to the Nashville area in January and I'm wondering what it's like moving from Michigan to Tennessee. I don't really know anyone in the area and my family lives here, but I'd like to take a chance in a new city. What's it like? Any regrets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-14-2008, 07:45 AM
 
107 posts, read 163,621 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroznowski View Post
I'm planning a move to the Nashville area in January and I'm wondering what it's like moving from Michigan to Tennessee. I don't really know anyone in the area and my family lives here, but I'd like to take a chance in a new city. What's it like? Any regrets?
Hi eroznowski-

My boyfriend and I are from MI and moved here at the end of April. We LOVE it here and have no regrets!! The only think that I am trying to adjust to is the traffic in the town I live in (Murfreesboro) and where I work (Franklin). The people here are so much nicer then they are up there and I have been more relaxed since I have moved here. I haven't seen the road rage that you see up there and I NEVER hear horns honking. If I was to be in this much traffic up there, I would be stressed but it's different here. Everyone is patient! I have also found that they have better stores/restaurants here but that is just my personal opinion. The weather has been hot and in the winter here they don't get nearly as much snow as MI. We had a BAD winter last year up there which was rough! I can't wait to experience the winters here. When are you thinking of moving?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 07:56 AM
 
100 posts, read 228,700 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroznowski View Post
I'm planning a move to the Nashville area in January and I'm wondering what it's like moving from Michigan to Tennessee. I don't really know anyone in the area and my family lives here, but I'd like to take a chance in a new city. What's it like? Any regrets?
My husband is from the UP--yep he is a yooper--and he likes it here too. The main thing we miss is having family close by but the family has scattered to Detroit, Minneapolis, Chicago, and now Nashville. Last March when we were sitting out around a fire in our back yard and the weather was cool but pleasant at night we talked to his family who were dealing with closed interstates because of snow he said "This is why we moved to Tennessee."

What part of Michigan are you coming from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Port Huron, Michigan
17 posts, read 40,861 times
Reputation: 13
I'm coming from Port Huron, Michigan. The only thing I'm really worried about is that I love the water and I'm afraid to not be by the lake! I've basically grown up on Lake Huron!

I do like the snow here, and I'm glad to hear that TN at least gets some of it...I'm sure I'll love the weather there so much more. My dad lives in South Carolina and I know he just loves not having to deal with snow from October to May

And to answer your question about when I'm moving, Im thinking probably in January. My boyfriend will probably go down in September or October and I'd like to finish out the semester at the community college here and then move. Is that a bad time to move? Should I just wait until the spring? My boyfriend will already have an apartment and everything, so I won't be moving a lot, but I'm wondering with the snow if it's a bad idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 08:50 AM
 
107 posts, read 163,621 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroznowski View Post
I'm coming from Port Huron, Michigan. The only thing I'm really worried about is that I love the water and I'm afraid to not be by the lake! I've basically grown up on Lake Huron!

I do like the snow here, and I'm glad to hear that TN at least gets some of it...I'm sure I'll love the weather there so much more. My dad lives in South Carolina and I know he just loves not having to deal with snow from October to May

And to answer your question about when I'm moving, Im thinking probably in January. My boyfriend will probably go down in September or October and I'd like to finish out the semester at the community college here and then move. Is that a bad time to move? Should I just wait until the spring? My boyfriend will already have an apartment and everything, so I won't be moving a lot, but I'm wondering with the snow if it's a bad idea.

They don't have as many lakes here as they do in MI. I am not sure where all of them are but I think that they are more out in the country. Some of the other people on here who have lived here longer would know where all the lakes are.

My boyfriends Dad lives here too and he said they only got 4 inches of snow last year so it's WAY LESS then what we get up there. As far as moving in January, I don't think you would have a problem with it down here. It might be a pain if you have stuff to move with the snow up there but if your boyfriend will already have an apt. then I would go for it. The faster you get down here to be with him, the better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
1,284 posts, read 1,976,590 times
Reputation: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulalula View Post
My husband is from the UP--yep he is a yooper--and he likes it here too. The main thing we miss is having family close by but the family has scattered to Detroit, Minneapolis, Chicago, and now Nashville. Last March when we were sitting out around a fire in our back yard and the weather was cool but pleasant at night we talked to his family who were dealing with closed interstates because of snow he said "This is why we moved to Tennessee."

What part of Michigan are you coming from?
I'm a Yooper too, originally. We are moving to Nashville at the end of July after 20 years in WI ( we liked it there ) and a very disastrous short stay in Memphis. The time we have spent in Nashville is very promising and we're looking forward to the change.

I'm hoping that with as many Michiganders that there seems to be in Nashville that there will be some euchre players!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
1,284 posts, read 1,976,590 times
Reputation: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroznowski View Post
I'm coming from Port Huron, Michigan. The only thing I'm really worried about is that I love the water and I'm afraid to not be by the lake! I've basically grown up on Lake Huron!

I do like the snow here, and I'm glad to hear that TN at least gets some of it...I'm sure I'll love the weather there so much more. My dad lives in South Carolina and I know he just loves not having to deal with snow from October to May

And to answer your question about when I'm moving, Im thinking probably in January. My boyfriend will probably go down in September or October and I'd like to finish out the semester at the community college here and then move. Is that a bad time to move? Should I just wait until the spring? My boyfriend will already have an apartment and everything, so I won't be moving a lot, but I'm wondering with the snow if it's a bad idea.
You will miss the water. I lived on or near Lake Michigan for probably 30 years of my life. From what I know there are some man made lakes around. I'm not sure what those are like.

It is one of the best things about visiting back home...the lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Port Huron, Michigan
17 posts, read 40,861 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunky View Post
I'm hoping that with as many Michiganders that there seems to be in Nashville that there will be some euchre players!
I'm hoping there are lots of euchre players too! My boyfriend and I play a lot and it would be a shame not to play as I've heard there are so many people from Michigan there!

I think we'll be visiting MI a lot too as I have younger siblings here and I know I'll miss my family, so I'm sure it will be great in the summer to visit the lakes. I love MI summers, so that will be the hardest to leave, but luckily I have a job where I work from home so I can come up and visit for a few weeks at a time. I think if I couldn't do that, it'd be a lot harder to move so far away from family!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 11:46 AM
 
Location: BFE
103 posts, read 208,728 times
Reputation: 38
Tennessee has 246 lakes and there are quite a few close to Nashville. My personal favorite is Center Hill Lake in Dekalb County....it is beautiful!
Tennessee Landforms -- Lakes

As for the snow, we don't get hardly enough to worry about, but watch out for the ice! We had a real bad ice storm in Nashville back in 1994 and it practically shut the whole city down for a week or two, but as a general rule, our winters are very mild in comparison to yours. Winter is not my favorite season, because it's usually so wet and gloomy, but it makes you appreciate our beautiful springtime weather even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2008, 01:22 PM
 
Location: Port Huron, Michigan
17 posts, read 40,861 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watertown Gal View Post
Winter is not my favorite season, because it's usually so wet and gloomy, but it makes you appreciate our beautiful springtime weather even more.
I agree..that's one thing that I do love about MI is that when it hits April and May, everything starts to melt and you just appreciate the spring so much more....even if it is all rain! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top