U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 08:28 PM

3 posts, read 27,782 times
Default Hmm!

Anything good about Memphis? I am a member of an amazing church and my friends are the greatest! I will miss those 2 groups when we move.

Old 08-14-2007, 05:40 PM

15 posts, read 40,950 times
One of my best girlfriends was born and raised in Memphis, and was thrilled when she was transferred to Nashville, even though it meant leaving all of her family. While she misses them, the trade-offs have been worth it--- much lower crime, better schools, more family-friendly activities. She recently had family members visit from Memphis, and one of the things they love to do is visit one of the local Publix grocery stores. Apparently, a clean, safe, well-stocked grocery has become a tourist destination, especially if you're from Memphis!

Old 09-01-2008, 01:13 PM

252 posts, read 555,624 times
Default Nashville vs Memphis

I live in Memphis and have for the past 6 years. I'm considering moving to Nashville or out west. Phoenix is so spread out and Las Vegas is so dry. Portland, OR and Nashville are my next places to check. I've visited Nashville once and went to the Convention Center which was wonderful. What do you like about living in Nashville?

Old 09-01-2008, 02:03 PM

250 posts, read 687,405 times
It's the BEST...been here 13 years from Jacksonville, Fl and would never go back! I LOVE IT!

Old 09-01-2008, 02:42 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,586,884 times
Some things I like about the Nashville area:
  • It's dynamic and growing, mostly for the best.
  • Variety of entertainment.
  • Variety of good restaurants and getting better.
  • Pro football & pro hockey.
  • Fairly stable economy.
  • The people.
  • Beautiful parks.
  • Variety of outdoor activity.
  • Variety of shopping and getting better.
  • Whole Foods, Trader Joe's(in the Fall).
  • Huge influx of young professionals.
  • Family oriented.
  • Opportunities for community involvement.
  • Plethora of higher education institutions.
  • The Natchez Trace.
  • Lakes.
  • Outstanding healthcare.

There are more but I'll leave some for someone else to respond to.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:45 PM

3,537 posts, read 4,991,955 times
I moved here in 94 from NJ. Lived in Nashville for 6 years and now in Murfreesboro for 8 years and would never leave the nashville area. There is so much to do, enjoy and love.

Last edited by Steve_TN; 09-01-2008 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 09-01-2008, 03:47 PM

624 posts, read 2,794,166 times
I grew up in Memphis and lived there for about 20 years total on and off between 1980 and 2007...I now live in Nashville and it is a much better place to live mainly because you don't have all the King Willie-related crazy stuff going on and in your face all the time...I will say that Nashville is NOT a utopia, we have our crime problems but if you stay out of the "bad" areas you will be pretty much ok here-I can't say that about Memphis...

Last edited by scottv; 09-01-2008 at 04:26 PM..

Old 09-02-2008, 09:08 PM

1,284 posts, read 2,051,959 times
Oh my...my my my....I could go on and on about this. I just left Memphis in July and moved to the Nashville area and in a nutshell.....get out of Memphis, you will be glad you did! My husband and I are SO happy we made this choice! We had to spend this past weekend back in Memphis and it just sealed what we already knew...we are so glad to be out of the incredible filth that is Memphis....the pervasive depressing feeling of crime, despair, blight, poverty....poor Memphis is THE definition of wasted potential.

Old 09-02-2008, 10:40 PM

3,537 posts, read 4,991,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunky View Post
Oh my...my my my....I could go on and on about this. I just left Memphis in July and moved to the Nashville area and in a nutshell.....get out of Memphis, you will be glad you did! My husband and I are SO happy we made this choice! We had to spend this past weekend back in Memphis and it just sealed what we already knew...we are so glad to be out of the incredible filth that is Memphis....the pervasive depressing feeling of crime, despair, blight, poverty....poor Memphis is THE definition of wasted potential.
Tunky - It is great to hear you love it here! There is nothing better that having no doubt in your mind that you made a wonderful choice.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:26 AM

1,284 posts, read 2,051,959 times
Thanks Steve! We truly have been delighted with our experience so far! My only wish is that we didn't travel so much for work so that we could spend more time getting to know our new home!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville