Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2008, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,454 times

Advertisements

Good evening,

I had the good fortune of stumbling on to these forums a week or so ago and have been reading voraciously since. Some great insight offered here. I know there are many "moving" threads; mine is a little different, and I am hoping to garner some opinions. So if you have the time, I would love to hear from you.

Here goes. Are there parts of Nashville that are less...religious? Perhaps more bohemian in nature? I'm a single guy, straight but not narrow minded, who would prefer a community of artists to a community where life is centered around the church. I wish to be clear that I am not trying to offend anyone; I have a "live and let live" attitude....if church is your thing, that's awesome and I'm glad you found it. But it's not for me.

I'll be working from home, so commuting is not an issue for me. Safety, proximity to downtown, and open-mindedness are. I'd like to rent an apartment in a complex (suggestions on positive ones and ones to avoid are welcomed) for about nine months until I find a place to buy.

Thanks in advance. I did live in Franklin for two years, hence the "NashvilleRedux" moniker. I just didn't get as much time to explore as I would have liked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 08:50 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times
Question Help!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to need help here from others on this board, but I would tend to think Hillsboro, West End or even East Nashville might offer what you are looking for. Can anyone offer a better answer than I have?

Old 06-17-2008, 10:25 PM

933 posts, read 2,742,475 times
East Nashville. Do a search on this site for previous posts on this area.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:36 PM

Oh yeah, crime is still an issue as it is considered an "up and coming" area but most areas close to downtown Nashville are up and coming because Nashville was particulary affected with the post WW2 suburban flight which is recently reversing somewhat with the new urban movement. As for a place to rent I would look on Craiglist. 12th South and Hillsboro Village, like Steve said, are other options but i would bet you would find yourself over on the east side of the river more often than not after you moved here.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:56 AM

597 posts, read 2,108,832 times
I agree, East might be the place for you. I particularly agree with yank who says even if you don't move to East, you'd probably end up over here often as the amenities and bohemian liberal attitudes abound.

The irony is that the east side has probably the highest concentration of church buildings in town. Makes for interesting streetscapes.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:57 AM

2 posts, read 3,454 times
Thanks so much for the responses; very helpful. I will definitely look at East Nashville. When I was here a few years back used to go to a great meat and three over there...it was called "the Place". I never really got around much other than that, though. Any neighborhoods to look for/ones to avoid over there?

Old 06-18-2008, 08:17 AM

Well, I bought a house over here in South Inglewood, so I'm in it for the long haul. I love it here, but if I was renting I would probably look closer to the Five Points area. You mention "an apartment in a complex", well there are plenty of plans (on/near Main Street and across from Roseppers) for new, nicer, rental unit apartments right now but most existing apartment type complexes are probably a little sketchy. I could be very wrong and just do not know of any (anyone?). That's why I suggested Craigs list for a possible duplex or upstairs type apartment. Also you may want to look in the Inglewood area to rent a house. You may want to even contact a real estate agent that is very familiar with East Nashville and lives over here (that is KEY) and let them know that you may want to buy in the near future and let them guide you to good areas to rent. I know a lot of the Karen Hoff team - Historical and Distinctive Homes - agents live over here and can guide you to a better street/area. Here is a good article from last summer that gives you a feel about the East side, warts and all. It is a little juvenile in some spots but a good read.

Nashville Scene - East Side Story

Last edited by yank283; 06-18-2008 at 08:28 AM..

Old 06-18-2008, 02:58 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
Germantown, when you buy. I think safety has improved there and its a tight knit, very accepting neighborhood with some successful artists and musicians as well as less interesting average people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville