Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 05:32 AM

597 posts, read 2,107,957 times

Advertisements

Very strange. The OP seems to have not posted since June '08.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 06:36 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alasad10 View Post
Just left Nashville earlier this month & here is why. It is not as cheap as you think to live, houses are old, traffic is ridiculous & drivers are rude & will cut you off & flip you off any chance they get. The winters are awesome, summers are HOT, but again traffic sucks always! South of Nashville (Brentwood/Franklin) is beautiful but a cluster and VERY expensive but very nice. There is tax on food, I think 9.25% and the unemployment rate is very high in Nashville, TN area, I think 11%. Downtown is ok but again, traffic is a big issue. Not the cleanest of states either.

Found it hard to meet people unless you hang with people from work. I am not sorry to have left Nashville at all. I did like east TN, found it to be beautiful, not sure about the jobs but it is very beautiful. If I ever had to move back to TN I would go east of Nashville, way east. Nashville is not for everyone & it was not for me. Ok place to visit but not for everyone.
One down ...

Old 09-27-2010, 08:17 AM

75 posts, read 198,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngleDave View Post

Old 09-27-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmventu View Post
Howdie Pa`ans,
My family is in the Harrisburg and Philly areas where I lived and worked in real estate, music and teaching. I`ve been doing the same thing in Tn. for 20 years now. While in Pa. and N.J. prior to Pa., I could barely afford one little shack that I bought in Hummelstown but I did learn a lot about real estate in Pa. working with my brother-in-law, an MAI appraiser. Since in Tn., we`ve purchased 22 properties in 20 years, flipping or keeping and renting them. Anyway, I am probably the only realtor in TN. who serves all 17 counties of the mid-ten market. We have realized great enjoyment and great profit through Tennessee property opportunities. I am familiar with every community and property value within a 60 to 70 mile radius of Nashville.
Taxes vary quite a bit but even the highest are only a fraction of what they are in Pa. and N.J. I help people on a regular basis who relocate to mid-ten from all parts of the U.S. You need: Equine friendly, great values, low taxes, commutable to Nashville, resale value, fairly level to gently rolling. Basically, the farther you go from Nashville, the more for the money. So, you decide how far from Nashville is ok, how important is having the best school systems, how close do you need shopping and hospitals. Then I can narrow down your best areas. I can search and forward mls prints of the best fits to your email if you like. You study the pictures and data, choose some that look interesting, I do a thorough market analysis on your choices and you plan to see in person. One thing that can be a frustration for long distant is that any super nice properties at great deal can be gone pretty quickly. I had a family come from Florida on a Monday to see 7 homes which we made appointments to see on Friday. By Monday morning, 6 out of the 7 were contracted. They were very disappointed on Monday morning and they looked at the 1 out of 7 that was still available. That episode just proved that all 7 of those properties were some of mid -Ten`s best deals out of the thousands of homes. Anyway, best of luck and let me know if I can help you.
My family and I looked at the Harrisburg/Hershey areas to rent(we're not going to buy) a house. We couldn't find a house that was in our price range that had what we need. Most have 1-1 1/2 baths, we need at least 2. Even the apartments are to much for us. It's a shame, I love it out there!

Since your familiar with that area, can you give me names of towns outside of Nashville that are similar to that area(somewhat flat, if that exists) that have houses for rent that are $1200 or under?

Old 09-27-2010, 09:31 AM

374 posts, read 693,063 times
Quote:
Maybe they got bogged down by the lunch meat. For some reason I find that criteria hilarious. Then again, I was reluctant to move here till Trader Joe's opened.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sucrose View Post
Maybe they got bogged down by the lunch meat. For some reason I find that criteria hilarious. Then again, I was reluctant to move here till Trader Joe's opened.
Are you people that blind? Guess so!

And what's so hilarious about asking if supermarkets carry the lunch meat brand that we like? I don't find that hilarious at all. It's a simple question!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville