Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2008, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 12,699 times

Advertisements

how do I get rid of the ticks on my land in lawrenceburg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 03:51 AM

3 posts, read 9,381 times
Thumbs up ticks

we moved here from south of tampa, florida and purchased 56 acre's with a home. That was in December we eagerly awaited spring to see what our land would look like.

Then friends began to caution us about TICKS. Don't go into woods after it starts to green up. So I asked around especilly long time Tennessean's
They all said the same thing. Keep grass mowed. Use lime pellets on all areas around home, Which we have done and we have no TICKS on the 3 acre yard around our home.

I had one friend that cautioned me he said TICKS are bad but what is even worse than TICKS. Chiggers these things are awful I had 3 spots where they got on my body. They bite and when they do you do not feel it until about 30 minutes later it starts itching. They put a chemical into the skin that basically disolves the flesh in this little hole. Then it takes about 2 weeks for the bite in the skin to heal. God awful itching. The area is small about the size of mosquito bite. The flesh around the bite hole becomes hard lump red irritated.

So now what I do is I spray down with insect repellant before going out to garden. Fabric softener sheets also help keep them off of you. Just put one in belt loop Keeps knats, mosquito's away also.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:54 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,530 times
Just put clear nail polish over the chigger bites. Your itching may go away. That's what I've always done. Caladryl (not sure of the spelling) works as well.

Also, if you only ended up with three that's not bad at all for living out in sticks.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:23 AM

427 posts, read 1,307,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Just put clear nail polish over the chigger bites. Your itching may go away. That's what I've always done. Caladryl (not sure of the spelling) works as well.
Unless you're allergic, like me. Eek.

The bites turn into 1/2" welts, and the itching can last for weeks -- literally. After a few days it'll seem like things are getting better, then suddenly they'll all come to life again. The non-itchy spells get more frequent and longer, but it takes a very long time.

Benadryl gel can knock it down a notch, but it's only temporary.

When coming in from chigger territory, shower and change clothes as soon as possible -- throw those clothes in the washing machine right away. They take a few hours to dig in, and since doing this I've avoided serious attacks.

Chiggers. Ugh. The worst. <-- I'm making a face as I type this.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,849 times
Hi,
Go to Lowes or Home depot or if you have a lesco's by you go there and get scott's brand or whoever lesco's has you need a granular insecticide for lawns. They run somewhere around $10-15 per bagf that covers alot. This will kill ticks, fleas, chiggers etc. Put it down then water it in or better on a day it's going to rain. It's safe for animals and kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville