U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 11:53 PM

152 posts, read 284,885 times

Advertisements

As I sit here in my air conditioned apartment, hiding from the heat, for the third day, I begin to ponder. . .

Oppressive heat is common here in Southern California. Today the temp was down to 109. Of course, everyone will tell you, "It's a dry heat". Yeah, that means that we have to run humidifiers in our homes during theses days. Every summer we have at least a few days that come with warnings, either for the heat or for the smog. And I wonder. . .

How common are such days in Tennessee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 01:07 AM

636 posts, read 1,253,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnosticCyn View Post
As I sit here in my air conditioned apartment, hiding from the heat, for the third day, I begin to ponder. . .

Oppressive heat is common here in Southern California. Today the temp was down to 109. Of course, everyone will tell you, "It's a dry heat". Yeah, that means that we have to run humidifiers in our homes during theses days. Every summer we have at least a few days that come with warnings, either for the heat or for the smog. And I wonder. . .

How common are such days in Tennessee?

Never seen 109 here but last year DeKalb county broke a record at 108. It stayed above 100 for a few long dreadfull weeks here.It did not rain from spring untill fall. It is humid here so even low 90's sweat you to death. I felt sorry for our horses last summer as they had sweat dripping off them during that heat wave and they sweat so bad that it turned to foam. I never seen horses that hot before unless they were under the saddle and a rider had pushed his horse very,very hard.Mine were taking it easy staying under shade tree's during those weeks.Construction workers were dropping like flies. I hope this summer is better than last year.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:53 AM

103 posts, read 300,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post
Never seen 109 here but last year DeKalb county broke a record at 108. It stayed above 100 for a few long dreadfull weeks here.It did not rain from spring untill fall. It is humid here so even low 90's sweat you to death. I felt sorry for our horses last summer as they had sweat dripping off them during that heat wave and they sweat so bad that it turned to foam. I never seen horses that hot before unless they were under the saddle and a rider had pushed his horse very,very hard.Mine were taking it easy staying under shade tree's during those weeks.Construction workers were dropping like flies. I hope this summer is better than last year.
I hope it is too! I was working out in that heat last summer inside an un-air conditioned church and it was at least 125 degrees inside it. No rain for weeks....everybody's gardens dried up because of the relentless sun and heat.....unbearable! Never again, I hope!

Old 06-22-2008, 09:51 AM

597 posts, read 1,886,526 times
At least last year was quite uncommon as far as summers go. Sure, it gets hot, and yes, it's humid. Welcome to much of America. I haven't seen huge heat waves around here for a long time, but last year was close. Hopefully, this one will be better.

As for humidity. Sweating is good for you. During my 12 years of public school in Nashville during the (grad h.s. '71) we had no air conditioning and we survived.

Sure makes that first coolish Fall day one to remember. Ahhhhhh.

"Oh, it's dry heat." I cook my roasts in dry heat, too, but here in Humidity Land, we're self-basting.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IngleDave View Post
"Oh, it's dry heat." I cook my roasts in dry heat, too, but here in Humidity Land, we're self-basting.
I feel like I'm being "jerkied" here. I'm looking forward to the humidity. I used to live in the mid-west, so I know what it's like. Love your line about self-basting.

The last four summers in SoCal have had "heat waves". They've become the norm out here. I'm not going to miss them.

Thanks for the notes

Old 07-01-2008, 01:49 AM

878 posts, read 1,554,358 times
Quote:

I have to laugh reading about Nashville's so-called heat and humidity. But that's because I've been in Houston for 20 years. This is mold-city.

We did have a cooler summer last year with rain 40 days straight and after a couple of days break another 20 days of rain. We maybe broke 95 twice but you can imagine the humidity, and soggy ground. Trees were falling over, and in central Texas there was significant flooding, with loss of life. Austin and San Antonio are normally brown in July and August (except last year) so you don't have that scenario there either. In other words, enjoy the climate you have there. You've got beautiful season changes, and 4 seasons, we only have 2, with a pitiful autumn.

Old 07-01-2008, 01:05 PM

29 posts, read 119,622 times
Last year WAS bad but usually TN has fairly nice weather!!

Old 07-01-2008, 03:01 PM

Strangely, I'm looking forward to the humidity. I pay good money out here for steam baths.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:44 PM

4,678 posts, read 8,523,692 times
Last year was the worst summer I've seen and I've spend a summer in Houston and most of my life in Central Florida.

It was not only hot ( there was a streak of 15-20 straight days where the temp. was above 100 degrees ) but we also went through a horrible drought where everything was dead. My lawn crunched when I walked on it.

In my short 7-8 years in Nashville I can say I've witnessed several tornados ( was here for the tornados of 98 ) a few floods in the outlying areas, drought, 100 degree days, snow storms that shut the city down for 3-4 days as well as two earthquakes ( they weren't bad but you could feel the earth shake )

I love Tennessee weather. It's nice to have variation. I don't think anyone wants to burn or freeze ALL year..

Old 07-01-2008, 04:12 PM

2,768 posts, read 5,623,420 times
Yes, that heat sure stuck around a long time, didn't it FutureTexan? I remember several days the temps were over 110 on my drive home from work.

Yikes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville