Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 09:44 PM

9 posts, read 44,424 times

Advertisements

Im from Georgia, and I know we're very big on our Highschool Football Friday Nights. Im looking for a good 4A or 5A team to go check out this fall. I need a team to root for beings i wont be able to go to South Georgia every weekend. lol. If anyone could give me some idea, I would be very appreciative. Not sure what area i'll be living in yet. Maybe Mt. Juliet, or Brentwood, or Goodlettsville. That doesnt mean i wouldnt go see another football team in another town though. Also, are there any highschool sports vents in Tennessee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 12:06 PM

I guess nobody likes football in Tennessee?

Old 06-26-2008, 12:09 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,027,010 times
Try Hendersonville. Great town and typically a playoff team. I see a bunch of those kids working out at the YMCA every day and most seem to be nice guys, which is a plus because you know you aren't cheering for a bunch of thugs/future Pacmans.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:23 PM

im looking for all around good football team. Dont want to go to a rough schools football game. Dont want to get mugged in the parking lot or anything like that. lol. I want to find a good school and go ahead and buy some season tickets. im serious about my football. Are there any other good big schools in the area that would be worth watching this year?

Old 06-26-2008, 07:00 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Brentwood Academy used to have one of the top programs in the state. I don't think they've been quite as good in the past few years. There were some disagreements in the past about private vs. public high schools because the private schools could affectively recruit. I don't know for sure, but Brentwood High probably has a reasonably good program; as would the schools in Franklin.

Gallatin usually has a good team. I'm not sure about Mt. Juliet, but I would guess it's a pretty good program.

Here's a few schools that you probably want to avoid, given your post above: Maplewood, Strafford, Whites Creek, Antioch. McGavock might be iffy as well. I think there's been some trouble at one of the high schools in Murfreesboro, but I don't really remember. For the most part, you do fine going to the games in the counties surrounding Nashville.

High school football is still a "big thing" in the smaller or less urban counties, but it sort of takes a back seat where there is also college or pro teams such as Nashville. I don't keep up with it very much myself, so I can only offer some vague suggestions.

Last edited by alleycat; 06-26-2008 at 08:33 PM..

Old 06-26-2008, 07:03 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,231,327 times
Spring Hill!

just kidding.
last time they were any good was when i was in high school, almost 10 years ago.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:21 PM

I just googled the power rankings for tennessee highschool football. Brentwood Academy and Smyrna were 2 teams i recognized as being in the Nashville Area that are way up on the rankings.

TENNESSEE HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL POWER RATINGS & RANKINGS

I dont know about a lot of the other schools. It's for the whole state so a lot of them are other places. I'll check out some of those schools you told me about. Thanks for your help =)

Im still open to any school anybody thinks is a good team and a good school. Not necessarily a private school. Ive never been that fond of private school football teams. Like you said, they're able to recruit and it's not really fair to compete with public schools. So I guess i'll be looking for public schools in the surrounding counties.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:34 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewhit View Post
I just googled the power rankings for tennessee highschool football. Brentwood Academy and Smyrna were 2 teams i recognized as being in the Nashville Area that are way up on the rankings.

TENNESSEE HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL POWER RATINGS & RANKINGS

I dont know about a lot of the other schools. It's for the whole state so a lot of them are other places. I'll check out some of those schools you told me about. Thanks for your help =)

Im still open to any school anybody thinks is a good team and a good school. Not necessarily a private school. Ive never been that fond of private school football teams. Like you said, they're able to recruit and it's not really fair to compete with public schools. So I guess i'll be looking for public schools in the surrounding counties.
Oh believe me, some of the public schools "recruit" too. Powerful boosters will offer jobs to a player's parents or get them an apartment in their high school zone in order for the kid to play at their high school.

I guess my question is: why not just pick the high school in your neighborhood rather than some powerhouse across town? You might enjoy getting to know the players and families who live in your part of town, and you might meet some fun new neighbors who share your enthusiasm for such a fun game. Of the areas you mentioned as places where you might live, I think they all have decent football programs that enjoy strong community support.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:21 PM

Well that's my other question. I want to go with a team with a lot of supporters. I like the powerhouse teams because they're usually the teams that fill the seats. lol. Im going to check out more than 1 team this year, so maybe i'll wait til next year to buy season tickets. I just wish there was a varsity sports vent like in Georgia. You can read and hear about all the states teams. Itd alot easier to pick my team that way.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:36 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,530 times
Smyrna has been terrific the last few years, but their head coach is now at Middle Tennessee Christian School in Murfreesboro. Who knows what will happen with them this year? Riverdale, in Murfreesboro is consistently solid as well. Ravenwood is usually good as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville