U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:40 PM

3 posts, read 6,105 times

Advertisements

I think you would enjoy the The Lockeland Springs area it features beautiful historic homes. The community has an association that is involved in helping the community and neighborhood. The association sponsors with its members several community events that get people involved. They have an annual Christmas Tours of Homes and have had several tree-planting days.

Some history:
The Lockeland Springs Historic Neighborhood is a streetcar suburb two miles northeast of downtown Nashville. The land was granted by the State of North Carolina to Daniel Williams in 1786, in payment for service in the Revolutionary War. The present Lockeland School had a log cabin Williams built as the first house in the area. The subdivision of the estates started in the 1780's and the Woodland Street Bridge was built in 1886. In 1890, electric streetcar lines ran from the area to downtown Nashville. Only wealthy people could afford to commute from this neighborhood to the other side of the Cumberland. In 1909, growth of the area was solidified by the Sparkman (Shelby) Street Bridge in 1909. Finally Lockeland Springs was annexed to the city of Nashville in 1905.

Currently in the MLS there are 7 homes for sale for less than $250k.

I hope you find a teriffic home.
Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 12:35 PM

383 posts, read 615,084 times
You should be able to find a home that would need a little fixup for that budget in Sylvan Park area toward Charlotte Ave. Or still areas with lots of potential in the McCabe area between 38th Ave and 42nd Ave.

I can understand your not wanting to buy something that needs major work with your little one. You also might look out in Madison, although I wouldn't call it hip. Housing there is solid.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:19 PM

69 posts, read 177,922 times
what you want exists, but not really in that price range. if you must keep to the budget, what aspect is the most flexible? doing some work? being closer to ick? hip factor? still, you might be able to find something that is solid but just hideous due to paint, wallpaper, etc, things that are a cheap fix. the tennessean.com has a search feature where you can see where crime has occured and what kind it was. this will help you find an area where you feel safe. the sexual offenders are also available online. google it.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:20 PM

54 posts, read 101,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpy View Post
I know some people will tell you that certain streets and blocks are safe and you just have to know where to look, but in my opinion you aren't safe if you live on a "nice" street that is two blocks away from a row of crack houses.
Dude, that's Chicago in a nutshell. And "affordable" housing for someone with a mid-range income simply can't afford the cute, trendy, safe neighborhoods there. That's a big part of why we moved back to the South. We want to buy a home and feel like we're getting some space for our money as well as a decent neighborhood. I'm guessing that's why Nashville has so many transplants. They're looking for much the same as us "prodigal children" come home.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:17 AM

1,038 posts, read 1,664,429 times
604 South 12th Street is listed as $239,900 1879 square feet with a large fenced in backyard. This is within walking distance of 5 points and is the definition of up and coming. I am by no means a realtor but I saw the photos on realtracs.com it looks beautiful and I live near and feel very safe.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:42 PM

4 posts, read 7,982 times
Thank you guys so much for all the input... We're sorta torn now about the schools though... I realize most elementary schools are ok but I've heard the ones in those areas are sketchy... Pretty much everyone sends there kids to private school which we're thinking we may not be able to afford... We've been told that the Bellevue area along with the city of Franklin are the areas for the schools... It's just tough cause we just moved from a cookie cutter Stepford Wives type area in Tampa, FL and we were miserable... We were really hoping to get into one of these rehabbed historical houses- which specifically we'd like at least 1800 square ft... 3 bedrooms with a basement.... We shall see... Any input is greatly appreciated!

Old 07-03-2008, 12:34 AM

4 posts, read 7,982 times
Default young family moving to nashville... any input on public schools in davidson county?

Hi There
My family and I are relocating from LA... We're really wanting to be in an urban area with older homes... but we're nervous about the school situation... (we have a 2 1/2 year old)... The Lockland Springs area seems very nice and the school's test scores are very impressive... But being that it's a "magnet" school, I'm wondering what a kindergardener has to do to get in... We're very nervous to buy in an area where the designated school's test scores are so low. I'm just curious to know how the system works... It is hard to get a child in?... Any input is soooo appreciated... We were considering the Franklin/ Brentwood areas for the schools but we really don't want to be in a subarbania... Thanks!

Old 07-03-2008, 05:31 AM

1,689 posts, read 2,463,186 times
when we were looking the public schools that seemed the "best" were Julia Green (I know a few people who send their kids there and are very happy but worried more about middle school). Percy Priest (I know one child that goes there and again parents happy) and Eakin--have no personal knowledge but others have said it is good and test scores seem good.

We ended up in the burbs and still send our school age child to private school in Nashville. I got the feeling when we were looking that there were so me decent public elementary schools in Davidson County, but that the middle schools and high schools were iffier (although again, my sister who went to a top 10 college has friends that graduated from Hillsboro High)

Old 07-03-2008, 07:38 AM

2,885 posts, read 3,549,248 times
I concur that elementary schools are a little bit of a safer bet than the middle/junior high and high schools in Davidson. The only thing about living in a more urban part of Nashville (and I'm really talking about east Nashville here) is that there are trendy yuppies on one block and rough spots one block away. The schools sometimes reflect that as well.

As far as magnet schools go, my understanding is that your child takes an aptitude test and if they score well, they can go to the magnet school. The magnet high schools are even harder to get in. They have a lottery system so that once you score high enough to get in, you then have to be selected by random lottery because the demand is so high.

I'd check out Metro-Nashville's Education website and see what the restrictions are to get in the magnet program.

As far as regular public schools go, Julia Green is pretty well known as being one of the best.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:54 PM

317 posts, read 825,128 times
It is correct that the magnet school process is selected at random through a lottery, so there is no guarantee your child would be able to go to it. If schools in Davidson County are a concern to you, you do have several private options. Brentwood and Franklin, that you mentioned also considering, have popular school systems and are nice areas, but they are as suburb as suburb gets. You mentioned not wanting to be in the suburbs, so it sounds like you are in a tough place. Our urban selections are a little limited here in comparison to other major cities. West Nashville and parts of East Nashville offer some good options for walkability and urban living, but as you stated, there may be some trade-offs. The area mentioned above for the Julia Green district would be in the Green Hills area, which, in some ways is a little like meeting in the middle on your urban/surburban decision. It's within the Nashville city limits and is just outside of Downtown and the walkable areas like Hillsboro Village, Belmont and West End. So it does have somewhat of an urban feel, but it also has suburban elements to it as well. It is very much a vehicle-driven community though.

If you haven't already visited the area, maybe that will help you in your decision. Visiting schools and seeing the areas help quite a bit. Even with Google Earth, Google Maps and Virtual Earth, there's only so much you can get a feel for online.

Here is a link to a website that has come in very useful in determining how close (within walking distance, especially) an address is to coffee, schools, restaurants, services, shopping, parks, grocery stores, libraries, etc. I'm not affiliated with it, but I use it all of the time. Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville