Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 02:44 PM

3,199 posts, read 4,314,902 times

Advertisements

In my quest to find housing in the Franklin area, I have called on several homes and left polite messages (sometimes more than one, but never rude or pushy) with the listing agents, never to get a return call.
Since they know nothing of my race, financial status, credit worthiness etc. and the home is still advertised for lease,
I wonder, am I profiled because of the area code of my phone or are these people just lazy and incompetent?
Maybe it's me, Is there an etiquette I'm missing?
I rented my home out through a property manager back in Illinois and I know he was better than what I'm getting here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 02:50 PM

1,177 posts, read 4,155,013 times
Sounds like lazy and/or incompetent. You might want to try calling the Broker in Charge for the agent's real estate office and explain the no response to them.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:58 PM

Thanks for the suggestion gbone.
I hate to go over someones head, but I am perplexed with this type of behavior.
It would seem to be in the best interest of the agent to get the home leased out ASAP.

Old 07-21-2008, 02:59 PM

16,175 posts, read 32,478,600 times
I don't understand how these unreturned calls could be discriminatory, but I do agree with laziness and incompetence. If sellers agents don't want to work with buyers they should at least recommend a buyers agent to the callers.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I don't understand how these unreturned calls could be discriminatory, but I do agree with laziness and incompetence. If sellers agents don't want to work with buyers they should at least recommend a buyers agent to the callers.
Well based on my messages you would be able to ascertain but a few things.
A. I'm interested in the property.
B. I'm male (or a female baritone).
C. My call back phone # area code is listed in Illinois. (this is where I might suggest some regional discrimination)

Are you suggesting I connect with a Realtor of my own to inquire about a lease/rental home?
Seems odd to have to do when the listing is on Craigslist or a sign planted in the yard.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:19 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,622,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
In my quest to find housing in the Franklin area, I have called on several homes and left polite messages (sometimes more than one, but never rude or pushy) with the listing agents, never to get a return call.
Since they know nothing of my race, financial status, credit worthiness etc. and the home is still advertised for lease,
I wonder, am I profiled because of the area code of my phone or are these people just lazy and incompetent?
Maybe it's me, Is there an etiquette I'm missing?
I rented my home out through a property manager back in Illinois and I know he was better than what I'm getting here.
It sounds like laziness and a poor attitude to me; not discrimination.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:59 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,026,580 times
"Regional discrimination"? Please tell me you're joking. The next thing we know, Illinois will be in a "protected class" with gays, Hispanics, the disabled, etc., and we'll have to bend over backwards to cater to their every whim.

Seriously though, some people just smoke pole at their jobs. Has nothing to do with discrimination. Especially in real estate, the current market seems to have polarized agents into two categories: those who work even harder because they're determined to make it in a tough housing market, and those who say "screw it" and concentrate on other things for a while until the market cycles back in their favor.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:08 PM

16,175 posts, read 32,478,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Well based on my messages you would be able to ascertain but a few things.
A. I'm interested in the property.
B. I'm male (or a female baritone).
C. My call back phone # area code is listed in Illinois. (this is where I might suggest some regional discrimination)

Are you suggesting I connect with a Realtor of my own to inquire about a lease/rental home?
Seems odd to have to do when the listing is on Craigslist or a sign planted in the yard.
I'm not really suggesting anything; however, even when leasing there are some offices that have agents that specialize in working with both the owner as well as the renter/buyer sides. I don't think it is a good idea also to have your own representative in these matters. Also, I don't think that area code means anything in regards to regional discrimination. I work with tons of people that are post graduate professionals that come here for one to four years and then move on. If their calls were never answered there would be a big problem. I know that you said that you were polite in calling so that can't be it. Calling more than once may seem pushy to some but not pushy to others. Sorry I can't seem to help. Wishing you all the best.

Old 07-21-2008, 04:26 PM

Ok take it easy on me with the regional discrimination ...Believe me, I think it's ridiculous as well.
Thanks for the responses, I'll just keep plugging away till I find something.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:28 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,738,253 times
I moved here from the Chicagoland area with no problems.

I think you ran up against some lazy people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville