Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:38 AM

126 posts, read 332,238 times

Advertisements

i am from out of state but was in Nashville for 2 yrs. one of the big issues to me was that everyone always told us that you had to send your kids to private schools. why is this? are there no GOOD public schools in Davidson county? I've heard Cool Springs is good but we would want to be around Green Hills/Belmont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 11:31 AM

31 posts, read 77,600 times
Default public schools in nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwenrn View Post
i am from out of state but was in Nashville for 2 yrs. one of the big issues to me was that everyone always told us that you had to send your kids to private schools. why is this? are there no GOOD public schools in Davidson county? I've heard Cool Springs is good but we would want to be around Green Hills/Belmont.
i am a former teacher in MNPS-jt moore middle (in green hills) and it is an excellent, diverse school. your child will be surrounded by children of millionares and kids from the projects-it is just like real life. i LOVED teaching there-the parents and kids are AWESOME. the elementary schools that feed into moore are julia green, glendale and percy priest-all excellent.

i do NOT believe in private school, so i am all for sending kids to public schools. be an involved parent, and your child will succeed.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:53 AM

140 posts, read 618,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psugirl2000 View Post
your child will be surrounded by children of millionares and kids from the projects-it is just like real life.
Ah, if only that was how "real life" actually worked...

Old 09-02-2008, 05:49 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,626,296 times
Quote:
i am a former teacher in MNPS-jt moore middle (in green hills) and it is an excellent, diverse school. your child will be surrounded by children of millionares and kids from the projects-it is just like real life. i LOVED teaching there-the parents and kids are AWESOME. the elementary schools that feed into moore are julia green, glendale and percy priest-all excellent.

i do NOT believe in private school, so i am all for sending kids to public schools. be an involved parent, and your child will succeed.

"your child will be surrounded by children of millionares"

And just why does this make it BETTER??? Children of millionaires can't be horriffic brats and hoodlums? That statement has spoken volumes to both me and I imagine others here as well. It just reinforces the snobby reputation of the Green Hills area.

Last edited by Steve_TN; 09-02-2008 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 09-03-2008, 10:35 AM

31 posts, read 77,600 times
Default not better, the truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post

And just why does this make it BETTER??? Children of millionaires can't be horriffic brats and hoodlums? That statement has spoken volumes to both me and I imagine others here as well. It just reinforces the snobby reputation of the Green Hills area.
i did not say that being surrounded by millionares makes the place better, it is the DIVERSITY that makes the school great. if you think that you (or your child) will never be in a situation where wealthy and poor people work together (be it on the same team or in the same building), you are crazy! children need to be exposed to all types of people and learn to get along with them all!

Old 09-03-2008, 11:57 AM

Quote:
i did not say that being surrounded by millionares makes the place better, it is the DIVERSITY that makes the school great. if you think that you (or your child) will never be in a situation where wealthy and poor people work together (be it on the same team or in the same building), you are crazy! children need to be exposed to all types of people and learn to get along with them all!
I never said that my child would not be in a diverse environment. I agree that diversity is extremely important. I apologize if I incorrectly read your posting.

Last edited by Steve_TN; 09-03-2008 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 09-03-2008, 06:06 PM

187 posts, read 623,370 times
Default Green Hills is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post

Lived all over Nashville and wouldn't live anywhere else. Great schools and neighborhoods because it is mainly families who care and are willing to put forth the extra time and effort to make things the best they can be. How can that be "snobby"?

Old 09-03-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyknashville View Post
Lived all over Nashville and wouldn't live anywhere else. Great schools and neighborhoods because it is mainly families who care and are willing to put forth the extra time and effort to make things the best they can be. How can that be "snobby"?
I was stating that Green Hills has a snobby reputation. I'm not necessarily giving my opinion, but rather stating the reputation of a given area. You have the full right to agree or disagree with it. That's all I am going to say about it. I already apologized to the person I needed to apologize to for not properly reading her post. Thank you.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:06 PM

187 posts, read 623,370 times
No worries Steve.....just a nudge

Find it interesting how Williamson County has hyped their schools up so much and convinced the entire country that if they move to Nashville....your children will have to live in their county to get a good education. It is a great county but they are overbuilding and the infrastructure will have to give at some point.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyknashville View Post
No worries Steve.....just a nudge

Find it interesting how Williamson County has hyped their schools up so much and convinced the entire country that if they move to Nashville....your children will have to live in their county to get a good education. It is a great county but they are overbuilding and the infrastructure will have to give at some point.

I completely agree with you gabby! They give the false impression that it's Williamson County schools or ghetto. You hit the nail right on the head!

Sometimes I wonder......are Williamson County Schools really that much better or is it that schools in other counties, especially Davidson, are put under the microscope to a rediculous degree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville