Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 05:52 AM

2,428 posts, read 5,543,377 times

Advertisements

I can't believe that there are counties in this area starting school today according to the news this morning. That seems very early and silly to send kids to school during the hottest time of the year. I must say that since we've moved down here I miss our last 2 week of August/labor day vacation get away since school is in full swing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 06:02 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,203,100 times
When I was a young kid (long, long ago) school didn't start until the latter part of August. Then it got earlier and earlier until school started about the second week in August.

Metro Nashville schools start on August 11th this year, I believe.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:30 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,230,788 times
You have to keep in mind that some of the schools do "year round" schooling. That's the case in Maury County at least.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:26 AM

250 posts, read 1,014,129 times
It's also the case with Poplar Grove in the Franklin Special School District.

Also keep in mind that, although school starts earlier, even for the traditional calendar schools, summer begins before Memorial Day weekend before the really hot months begin.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:49 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,335,326 times
That was a shock to me when I moved down here too...

However, I "heard" that it is a move in the direction to structure the school year more like Europe does. When I lived there I really appreciated the school calendar. They had a good sized break in the summer and another in the winter...rather than one huge break in the summer.

1. Kids retained more over the breaks..
2. Time for winter vacations, such as skiing or cruises etc. and time for a summer vacation.
3. Breaks up the year.

The thing I liked too is that they divided the country (this was Germany) into zones and took their breaks at alternating times. This ensured that the tourist industry places were never swamped and then dead all at one time.

Our school calendars were created like they are because of farming and needing kids to work on the farms. Not many people do that anymore.

Ok...off the soap box.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:22 AM

593 posts, read 1,355,109 times
Wilson County roughly follows the 9-and-2 calendar. School starts August 11 this year, there are two-week breaks in October, around Christmas/New Year's, and in March. Summer break is about two months long. I can't speak for anyone else but I love it. Florida, where we go to visit family, is a lot more pleasant in October and March than in the summer. And two months is plenty for a summer vacation; we have time for a trip or two and some summer camps. Anyway, I have a job; it's not like I'm having to cut short my stay at the summer house.

I know what you mean about going to school when it's so hot, but when it's really hot all they're going to do at home is sit inside in the A/C. They can do that just as well at school, I guess.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:53 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,191 times
I'd prefer to start after Labor Day and get out mid June. I think I heard the entire state of Texas has adopted that schedule.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:05 AM

156 posts, read 450,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
I'd prefer to start after Labor Day and get out mid June. I think I heard the entire state of Texas has adopted that schedule.
My kids in NY start school either the Tues or Wed after Labor Day and get out towards the end of June. They still get in their 180 days of required school and all sorts of breaks. For their district, they have a high Jewish population, so they get breaks for the major Jewish holidays as well as the Christian holidays.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:39 AM

198 posts, read 801,783 times
Sumner County is very seriously considering moving all schools to the "modified calendar" for next year. It is the same amount of days, just the larger breaks in the fall and spring, as previously discussed by ExIslander.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:42 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pucabear View Post
Sumner County is very seriously considering moving all schools to the "modified calendar" for next year. It is the same amount of days, just the larger breaks in the fall and spring, as previously discussed by ExIslander.
That's how some of the schools in the Murfreesboro City Schools system are. I think they go back around July 20th after six week break. IIRC, they get an extra week during Christmas and spring break, a fall break, and probably some others I'm forgetting. Maybe a full week at Thanksgiving?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville