Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 06:46 AM

111 posts, read 597,804 times

Advertisements

...alive and thriving! My wife and I just got a visit from our family and we were both shocked by how racist our parents are. We both are from middle tn and don't remember it being that bad. For ex; my father in law told us a story about how he heard some Asian guy speaking behind him at a football game and my father in law became so upset that he turned around and told the guy to move! Can you imagine? Then we had to hear about all the blacks in one store they stopped in while in Ga. "We got outta there real fast!" And my father in law used the n word while in front of our kids..age 6 and 3.
My wife and I were thinking about moving to Tn after our son finishes school and now are concerned for other rampant racism in Tn. We know it exists here in Tampa as well but maybe not as prevalent. At least I've never heard anyone talk about being concerned for all the "blacks."

Old 01-25-2007, 09:34 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,608,162 times
Not sure what to say without insulting your wife's family. I will say I have not experienced many comments like the one you just described, thankfully. There is one church that seems to be the most comfortable with such ideas. Their members have openly made similar statements. We're no longer in touch with them

Branch out, meet others. I think you've gotten a skewed idea of what the vibe is here.

(The n word in front of your kids, really?!?! Your poor wife!)

Old 01-25-2007, 10:57 AM

13,337 posts, read 39,780,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helix139 View Post
...alive and thriving! My wife and I just got a visit from our family and we were both shocked by how racist our parents are. We both are from middle tn and don't remember it being that bad. For ex; my father in law told us a story about how he heard some Asian guy speaking behind him at a football game and my father in law became so upset that he turned around and told the guy to move! Can you imagine? Then we had to hear about all the blacks in one store they stopped in while in Ga. "We got outta there real fast!" And my father in law used the n word while in front of our kids..age 6 and 3.
My wife and I were thinking about moving to Tn after our son finishes school and now are concerned for other rampant racism in Tn. We know it exists here in Tampa as well but maybe not as prevalent. At least I've never heard anyone talk about being concerned for all the "blacks."
I think you answered your own question. You said you and your wife are both from Middle TN but don't remember that much racism. So why do you think that all of a sudden Middle TN is full of "rampant racism"? Do you ever come back up to TN to visit? Maybe it's just a few people like your family.

Racism is vile and despicable, but it's everywhere (even up North). I just don't think it's as bad as you're making it out to be. At least I hope that's the case.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:05 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,112,648 times
Yes, there are ignorant people everywhere.

My in-laws in Fort Myers, FL are prejudiced. They were told from day one that they would not say the "N" word in my home or they would be immediately ejected. May they never darken my Tennessee doorway.

I was working in a store in Florida and some old man that I was waiting on made some racial joke. I guess he thought that because I was white that I would think it was funny. I was insulted. I set him straight, and fast. He was visibly stunned.

What was the store going to do? Fire me?

Once these people are put in their place they will be more hesitant to subject others to their racism. They also have no comeback. What are they going to say? That they are right and I'm wrong? They look like idiots when you call them on it.

Old 01-27-2007, 02:44 PM

63 posts, read 402,096 times
Racism is present everywhere. There does seem to be more here though, but it all depends on where you position yourself.

For example:
Antioch/Southeast davidson county.

Theres alot of diversity here, and people seem to be much more tolerant of different races.

Brentwood:
Not so much diversity. People seem to only be tolerant of their own kind.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:56 PM

9 posts, read 41,970 times
My husband and I are an interracial couple (euro & african - americans). We are looking at moving to the Lebanon area. Anybody know how the vibe is there? We love Nashville but want land...

Old 01-31-2007, 12:36 PM

16 posts, read 72,817 times
Hi Profs,
I've lived in the Nashville Area for nearly 2 decades and have found that the more rural the area the more racism there is. With that being said, I've also found that Nashvillians are overall a friendly bunch and are accepting of just about anything except rude people no matter their backgound, faith and/or color.
One of the best examples is that Nashville is home to the largest Kurdish Community in the US and the Kurdish really thrive here even with their many diverse differences.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:38 PM

9 posts, read 41,970 times
Red face springfield v lebanon tn

Thanks, Life is Good. Would you move to the tn area if you were us? do you know anything about springfield and/or lebanon, tn? It will probably be one of these two towns that we'll move to. I heard that these towns were fairly diverse and growing more cool and open. However, I didn't think to ask if I/we would be safe at night. I just didn't even think of it until I stumbled onto this site and this forum. Does anybody know if as a black woman I would be safe at nite, by myself, in either of these areas?

I welcome everybody's viewpoint. We want to live in a rural area...in a small thriving cool city...near a cool and diverse big city. We really liked Nashville. We met nothing but great, friendly people - black, white and grizzly gray. We just thought the outskirts/rural areas and cities would be as welcoming and cool. Was this naive of us? I don't mind trying a tough or difficult situation but I do mind a deadly situation. I trust it can't be like that, is it?

thanks and peace,
the profs

Old 02-01-2007, 02:37 PM

63 posts, read 293,621 times
I just heard from a friend that there are lots of interracial families/couples in Hermitage. Does anyone know anything about Hermitage? - School system? safety? proximity to downtown Nashville ie Music row?

Old 02-06-2007, 12:03 AM

6,459 posts, read 11,995,966 times
Profs, I'm not from Tennessee or the south period (relocating from LA, but a tried and true NYer up until three years ago), but one thing I've always been told is that southern racists let you know UP FRONT that they don't like you, which I find to be a good thing and respect wholeheartedly!! I'm also a black woman looking to relocate to TN, Nashville specifically.

They're very different from the Northern racists that smile in your face, but knowingly hate your guts with every ounce of their being.

Just remember that the more poor or ghetto an area is chances are there will be IGNORANCE. It just comes with the territory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville