U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-21-2008, 01:10 PM

97 posts, read 234,522 times
Question Please explain the weather pattern

Being new to the south, I am wondering what to expect for the typical weather pattern. Normally when I school shop for the kids I would be buying fall clothes, but here it makes no sense to do that yet.

1. When does the weather cool down (60's and below)?

2. What should I expect for temps during winter (Nov, Dec, Jan)?

I have no idea when to prepare the kids with fall/winter clothing

Thanks much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 01:34 PM

636 posts, read 847,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimnjasonx3 View Post
Being new to the south, I am wondering what to expect for the typical weather pattern. Normally when I school shop for the kids I would be buying fall clothes, but here it makes no sense to do that yet.

1. When does the weather cool down (60's and below)?

2. What should I expect for temps during winter (Nov, Dec, Jan)?

I have no idea when to prepare the kids with fall/winter clothing

Thanks much!

Again, it can be in the dead of winter and cold one day, then the next day you may need a short sleeve shirt and or a tornado shelter.Then it could snow the very day after.Theres no real pattern to live by as in TN, temps change day to day or week to week in winter. I seen 70's on Christmass,and I've seen bitter cold on Christmass. My advice is to keep your spring clothes handy in winter just incase you get hot a few days unexpected. Times it does get cold, but give a day or three and it'll be warm, then colder,warmer,colder. It don't get cold and stay cold like some places do.Been here all me life and took the kids out many of halloweens.Some years are short sleeve trick or treat, some years were cool trick or treat. You never know till the next day comes, unless of course you watch the news weather forcast. I hardly do, just open the door and know if it'll be a cold one,or if I can leave the coat in the house.

What I do is send mine to school in a short sleeve and a plain coat, that way if it warms up to say 68-70+ on the playground,they won't get over heated.Alot of times it'll be cold in the nights and mornings but get very warm as the day goes on.Kids that are dressed like northern winters get hot on the playgrounds when a warm day pops up and they end up sick.Kinda hit or miss thing here if you not used to living here.

Last edited by RS-1080; 08-21-2008 at 01:53 PM..

Old 08-21-2008, 06:19 PM

1,634 posts, read 2,222,524 times
it gets cold, but not for extended periods. I was happy wearing just a fleece all last winter. For my kids I never bought them heavy ski parkas like we had in the northeast, instead just a fleece jacket, a hat and mittens. It stays pretty warm through October here (no having to wear long johns under your costume to trick or treat).

Old 08-21-2008, 06:28 PM

447 posts, read 795,351 times
October here seems to have chilly mornings, but gets hot later in the day. Real cold weather doesn't usually set in here in earnest until January-February sometimes even snows in March or occasionally April. But in late March or early April you start noticing that spring smell... then perfect weather for a couple of weeks... then it's summer!!!!!!!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:02 PM

4,952 posts, read 5,979,291 times
Layers are good. Buy a few sweatshirts, hoodies, or sweaters to go over the shirts, and add a warm jacket or light coat for colder days.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:31 PM

415 posts, read 463,930 times
Agree with the above. If you're moving here from colder climes you shouldn't ditch your winter gear, it can come in useful, we just typically don't have the extended frigid periods. (I did the opposite, moving here from Florida.) But keeping temperature-appropriate through the day is an exercise in layering and futility; a common late-fall day will see the kids going to school in 35-degree temperatures with a light frost, and coming home with it 65 degrees and sunny. Layers and keeping up with the forecast are the key things.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:10 PM

30 posts, read 44,258 times
Default Dress in Layers!

Dress in layers. Only one problem, we the grown-ups can usually keep up with the extra clothing. I usually have to make a trip to the lost and found at school at least once a month to collect long sleeve shirts and hoodies from the cool mornings, turning hot afternoons. My advice......label your clothes.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:13 PM

4,952 posts, read 5,979,291 times
Good point! I don't know how many times I wound up going back to the school playground to fetch a jacket that that had been ditched during the day.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:18 PM

30 posts, read 44,258 times
Default Extra Clothing

Just label everything. I end up forgetting what I've bought for them and then when I go to the lost and found, it's like a garage sale or a dig store. LOL!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:18 AM

97 posts, read 234,522 times
Great! Thanks for all the advice. This helps a lot I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to no more knee deep snow and temps in the low teen to single digits November through Feb!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville